FR Price - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

FR Price

Why is the FR so expensive? I know it's got neck and body binding, but still, it's a fixed bridge. It shouldn't be more than $1k.

I know the FR is polarizing among Ibby fans, but I love it.

I found this on the Japan website...

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/pag...&series_id=246

I dig the black too, but the white is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: FR Price

What does the type of bridge have to do with how much it should cost?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 PM

Reviews: 2

All "prestige's" are 1K plus. Also, there aren't that many Telecaster type of guitars out there that offer the features the FR does, so Ibanez can demand almost anything they want for it.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
Look at the RG1420F/1421F...the street price for the fixed bridge model is $100 less. There's less routing, the bridge is cheaper, and there's no locking nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
All "prestige's" are 1K plus. Also, there aren't that many Telecaster type of guitars out there that offer the features the FR does, so Ibanez can demand almost anything they want for it.
There used to be SEVERAL Prestige models under $1k. My RG2550Z was $1000. But the 1550, 1520, 1570, etc. have always been quite a bit less than $1k, until recently.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:09 PM

Its 'Prestige'
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I know it's Prestige...but I've bought 3 Prestige guitars and the most I've spent on one was $1000 for my RG2550Z.

I'm just saying, compared to other "Prestige" models, it's expensive. I guess it is because it's in a niche, and they can ask whatever they want for it. How many people actually own one though? Try to find videos for them on youtube. If they dropped the price to around $1000, which is what it's worth, they would probably sell more.

I just really want one of these, but I don't think its worth more than an RG2550.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Oooo... the white is new and it's got a matching headstock. I have the FR1620 Red Optimus and it plays/sounds great. Those CCR pickups are hot but have a vintage vibe to it, much like an Air Zone or Air Classic - sweet for blues and rock.

It was approximately £1000 here too but worth the price and while the fixed bridge may not look great to some people, it works as it should.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

I hope they bring the white over here, and the matching headstock is nice. I REALLY want an FR1620...even if we don't get the white, I'll be happy with the black. It looks classy on the FR. That's IF I can afford one though. If not, I guess I'll end up with an RG1451. I really want something with the Tight End bridge. And I like the FR because it's got the same neck as my RGs, but looks different.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
from a pure business standpoint, its kind of correct. Look at the logistics of it. Cheaper parts (comparing apples to apples) , easier to install parts (less labour), easier to finish should mean its less expensive. Now, that would only be comparing a hard tail to a floating trem on the same model guitar.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 PM

It definitely does seem like it should be a little cheaper. The ash body is a little more expensive then basswood but not that much more. Then again, the extra time to add the binding would be a decent amount more labor and bring the cost up. None the less, it is a very nice guitar, I wouldn't mind owning that white one.

On another note it does suck how Ibanez's prices have been going up. I'm so glad I snagged my RG2550Z when I did, I only paid $850 for it 2-3 years ago.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Well...about a year or so ago, I found an online store that had a crazy low price on the FR1620, and I went to m*usic123 just to see if they could beat it, and they did. They offered to sell it to me for $1015.

I wish I could have bought it then, but I couldn't get my stuff sold and ended up trading for a Strat (which I'm trying to sell now). Now that other store has the same price of $1299.99 that everyone else is selling them for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode