Frank Gambale Yamaha - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Frank Gambale Yamaha

Check it out in the new GP, looks like a cross between a Gibson Gothic and an Ibanez Artist with a whammy. *There's a small warp on the 1st & 2nd frets. *I don't think it's a photo error. It's under the G string 1st fret, B string 2nd fret.
The guitar claims to have a "fretwave intonation system" * *
Have any of you seen this thing?
Interesting.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 12:33 AM

Frank Gambale Yamaha

Yeah... I saw a picture in Guitar Player magazine, and the first thing I noticed was the wavy frets on the B-string. That'd confuse me way too much in the middle of a gig after a few beers.

I can't figure out if I really like the design of his new axes or not. Maybe if all the frets were wavy...

--B
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:46 AM

Frank Gambale Yamaha

I like what fret the neck joins the body.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 09:50 AM

Frank Gambale Yamaha

That's a really interesting guitar. *It's got those wacy frets, plus the neck and pickups are rear-mounted. *I think the trem springs actually screw into the neck heel instead of the body as well. *I like the inlays too. *Too bad it costs almost $2K though.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 07:30 AM

Frank Gambale Yamaha

Hehe, I was one of those lucky guy who could be there in Frank's clinic in Hong Kong, he did talked about his Yamaha, which he co-designed, it's not a thru-neck guitar thou, but they screw the trem claw on the end of the neck for added sustain, which was Frank's idea, and the fret thing is something to compensated the tuning problem on guitars, and to further extend the effect of the Buzz Feiten system, yeah, BF was apply on this model too.

The guitar doesn't looks really cool to me (I like the Ibanez FGM better), but the tone is AMAZING, rich and full, I'm not sure if it comes from his finger or the guitar thou LOL
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 09:53 AM

Frank Gambale Yamaha

That fretboard looks really weird, but the rest of the guitar looks dog awful (in my opinion). I wanted the ibanez model he did a while back, but this really doesn't do anything for me. But then again, I am shallow...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 09:56 AM

Frank Gambale Yamaha

Yikes...$2K? *For that they could at least give you a pretty maple cap. *FG's a great player.
Greg
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 02:32 AM

Re: Frank Gambale Yamaha

I don't want to be the one who ressurects a dead thread, but I picked one of these up yesterday.

Wow - end of review.

Oh, all tight then. 22 fret, mahogany body, maple/bubinga neck, ebony fretboard, tempered 1st and 2nd frets, Seymour Duncan Blades at neck and mid and JB at bridge, all tapped and 5-way switch. Wilkinson trem. The body's like a severely carved Santana, headstock not pretty but has Sperzel tuners and a completely straight string pull. The neck is painted but a very thin profile, almost flat-backed.

The neck joins at the 21st fret and has incredibly good access, and the trem claw screws into the butt of the neck.

I'll do the obligatory pics later so people can go 'this is the ugliest guitar I've ever seen'. They may not be all that far off, but it's incredibly functional and, as far as I've seen so far, immensely versatile.

Paid the equivalent of $550 for it, which isn't bad for a guitar that was released in 2001 for $2k and is as near as dammit in mint condition.

Funny, I went in to get a Tele - I guess that means I need to pay a return visit fairly soon
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:27 AM

Reviews: 1

The "wavy" frets are for "true temperament", whatever that is. Vai uses them.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/articl...retboard-.html

EDIT: God I didn't realise the thread was so old. :/

Last edited by Zgicc; 04-12-2009 at 05:33 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Wow, this thread is almost 8 years old!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Wow, this thread is almost 8 years old!
Dude, read post #8 - fully acknowledged. Do you have anything to contribute?

Edit: actually, I'm going to go a bit further than that. Multiple threads on the same subject are a complete and utter pain - how many 'Fenderz vs Ibanuz' threads do you need to see? Nevertheless, if I take the trouble to continue a thread with new - and what I believe is relevant - content, this is the sum total of input? Wow, I'm underwhelmed.

B.t.w., the guitar is about the same age as the thread

Last edited by DavyH; 04-14-2009 at 02:09 AM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:26 AM

Guys does anyone know anything else about these guitars? I've really been wanting to try one for a long time now but I've never been able to find one in the U.K....

Chris
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 AM

just show the pictures already.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Reviews: 21

Aint that bad...definately seen worse!!!!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
Dude, read post #8 - fully acknowledged. Do you have anything to contribute?

Edit: actually, I'm going to go a bit further than that. Multiple threads on the same subject are a complete and utter pain - how many 'Fenderz vs Ibanuz' threads do you need to see? Nevertheless, if I take the trouble to continue a thread with new - and what I believe is relevant - content, this is the sum total of input? Wow, I'm underwhelmed.

B.t.w., the guitar is about the same age as the thread
It was just a side comment! I wasn't intending to berate you or anything. I just thought it was interesting that this thread is almost a decade old...

Tags
buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , feiten system , trem claw , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode