Frenandes Monterey Elite - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Frenandes Monterey Elite

So I won a Fernandes Monterey Elite in Black Satin Metallic w/ SD JB & Sustainer pickup.
WOOOOOHOOOOOO!

http://dannylohner.0catch.com/Equipment/fernandes.html

[FONT=arial]This single cutaway dream machine can go from lush clean textures all the way to full throttle roar! It’s the Monterey Elite’s design that does it: Mahogany neck and body capped with a sold maple top and set-neck construction featuring a genuine Seymour Duncan® JB bridge pickup, the Fernandes Sustainer, special black-chrome hardware and tune-o-matic bridge design. Players with small hands take note: the Monterey Elite’s slightly shorter scale length makes wide interval stetches easier to accomplish.
Available in Metallic Black Satin, Honey Burst, and Wine Red.

Specifications:
Construction: Set Neck
Body: Carved Maple Top, Mahogany Back
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 24-3/4" Scale
Frets: 22 Jumbo
Nut: Graphite Trem Nut 1-11/16"
Bridge: Tune-O-Matic Style Bridge
Pickups: Neck: Sustainer Driver/Humbucker Bridge: Seymour Duncan JB
Features: Fernandes Sustainer
Colors: Metallic Black Satin
[/FONT]

This will be my first LP body style, so i'm excited to check that off the list. I've always shied away from Gibson LP's because of the weight. I do love my mahogany SG which is relatively light. I've been looking at ESP and LTD eclipses, so I'm hoping this guitar will fill the role. Gibsons are overpriced IMO. The only two I'd truly consider buying at any point would be the SG Supreme in Midnight Blue or a LP Custom Silverburst but i just never seem to have $3k for a guitar.

I'm also VERY excited to play a sustainer equipped guitar. I know what to expect out of the duncan JB in the bridge. I have heard that some players "can't figure out" how to use the sustainer system and eventually give up on it. I don't think i'm going to have that problem, but are there any pitfalls you are aware of?

While I am anxiously awaiting the guitar's arrival, I wanted to see if any jemsiters had any input on this guitar. Does anyone have any experiences they can share?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: Frenandes Monterey Elite

I would never call a fernandes a "high end guitar" but they certainly suprised me! they look pretty sweet, and play well, period. Not "plays well for a cheap guitar", they play well for any guitar. Again, not a gibson les paul, or PRS Single cut by any means, but it does play well.

Never used a sustainer, but they are pretty cool for what they are

best of all, nothing beats free congrats!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: Fenandes Monterey Elite

Thanks for the response and congrats, LinuxP. it was FREE! So I doubt I'll be complaining. I feel especially fortunate that it is in the price range of the guitars i have been buying/playing as of late.

I'm still loving my recently acquired RG2550egk. The monterey won't be replacing my 24 fret wonder

I don't consider them high end being mfg in Korea, although I am pretty impressed with some of the quality I've seen from LTD. At $1000 new, i don't consider them cheap either.
I just feel that Gibson under performs it's competitors at a given price point. Until I could afford one of the high end Gibson models, I'd likely opt for an ESP viper or eclipse.

Here's a pic of the Monterey

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawk View Post
Thanks for the response and congrats, LinuxP. it was FREE! So I doubt I'll be complaining. I feel especially fortunate that it is in the price range of the guitars i have been buying/playing as of late.

I'm still loving my recently acquired RG2550egk. The monterey won't be replacing my 24 fret wonder

I don't consider them high end being mfg in Korea, although I am pretty impressed with some of the quality I've seen from LTD. At $1000 new, i don't consider them cheap either.
I just feel that Gibson under performs it's competitors at a given price point. Until I could afford one of the high end Gibson models, I'd likely opt for an ESP viper or eclipse.

Here's a pic of the Monterey

I know its not a gibson, but dont discount it yet...

do yourself a favor... go get some nickel covers for those humbuckers, they look "cheap" without them on a les paul for some reason O.o
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:41 PM

cover on a sustainer ? is that working ?

nice guitar
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
I know its not a gibson, but dont discount it yet...

do yourself a favor... go get some nickel covers for those humbuckers, they look "cheap" without them on a les paul for some reason O.o
lol, I actually like that look. I took the covered pickups out of my SG and am going to swap all the hardware for black.

Besides I don't think i'd want a metal cover over that sustainer =)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
cover on a sustainer ? is that working ?

nice guitar

I've noticed that you provide very little input to this site. You seem to enjoy causing controversy and just attack people whenever the mood strikes you.

Pickups work with electromagnetic field. A nickel cover will not diminish said field.

The cover will do VERY LITTLE to the pickups abilities.

If you want I will do the math and show you. My background is electricity generation and I've had years of schooling on it. Whats YOUR background dude? Besides being a pretentious dick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawk View Post
lol, I actually like that look. I took the covered pickups out of my SG and am going to swap all the hardware for black.

Besides I don't think i'd want a metal cover over that sustainer =)
Cool man If you like it, power to ya Still free!!!! Black hardware will be so awesome! please post pictures when you are done!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
I've noticed that you provide very little input to this site. You seem to enjoy causing controversy and just attack people whenever the mood strikes you.

Pickups work with electromagnetic field. A nickel cover will not diminish said field.

The cover will do VERY LITTLE to the pickups abilities.

If you want I will do the math and show you. My background is electricity generation and I've had years of schooling on it. Whats YOUR background dude? Besides being a pretentious dick?

I was under the impression the sustainer works because it is creating a magnetic field which causes the guitar strings to vibrate. Covering it up would probably defeat the purpose and either weaken the field or completely stop working, not sure. Or maybe it just vibrates the cover.

I am an electronics technician by trade, was an electrician for 18 years and own a graphic design firm since 10 years now, of which i mainly do the programming. Does that work ?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

So the guitar arrived today. yay! haha. It is actually made in China which surprised me. All in all the quality is fairly good though. The only issues are strings need changing, the frets need a polish and there is a buzz on the low E string. To the tech it goes!

I'm glad to have a LP style guitar, but my RG wins hands down. No contest.

Seems like the sustainer is actually very useable for rhythms if you dial it back a bit. I wish they didn't cost 3x as much as regular pickups.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression the sustainer works because it is creating a magnetic field which causes the guitar strings to vibrate. Covering it up would probably defeat the purpose and either weaken the field or completely stop working, not sure. Or maybe it just vibrates the cover.

I am an electronics technician by trade, was an electrician for 18 years and own a graphic design firm since 10 years now, of which i mainly do the programming. Does that work ?

Magnetic fields take a lot to sheild. If the nickel covers shielded a sustainer a normal alnico pickup wouldn't work either. So no, the sustainer would work fine covered. Again, ill do the math for you if you want me to show you exactly how dimished the magnetic domains are.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Yes please do. I was under the impression its easy to shield that's why people use tin or copperfoil to shield which is 10 time the thickness of a nickel cover. Maybe i am wrong..

Lets see what you come up with
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Yes please do. I was under the impression its easy to shield that's why people use tin or copperfoil to shield which is 10 time the thickness of a nickel cover. Maybe i am wrong..

Lets see what you come up with
Man you are one of the most obstinate persons I have ever seen. The" shielding" you speak of is to disperse electromagnetic interference. That 60 cycle hum noise you hear on cheaper guitars.

Knock it off. Start a new thread if you want me to show you exactly how/why you are wrong. Techs don't learn theory, only mechanics and functions. Your background is inadequate.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 PM

are you doing the math or not ?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
are you doing the math or not ?
I'm not home ill do it later in a new post. Stop buzzkilling the contest winner.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Looking forward to it genius

Congrats on the Fernandes once more

Tags
les paul eclipse burny lp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode