Fret Buzz - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Fret Buzz

So, i'm sure there are many posts about this, but i'm having trouble finding the answer to this question so here it goes.

I have a Washburn WI-45, (similar to a Les Paul) and I can't seem to get rid of the fret buzz. I've tried adjusting the truss rod (granted I have little knowledge as to how to use it effectively) to give it more of a bow, because after doing that "finger on 1st and last fret, check the 12th fret" test seemed to yield too little clearance. So i've adjusted it to give it more clearance at the 12th fret, which improves the buzz from the 1st fret to about the 10th, but now makes the buzz from the 10th to the 22nd absolutely horrendous.

The guitar is currently in drop c with 52-11's which seems like a decent enough tension. I like my action quite low but honestly it's not even as low as I would like it and raising it any reasonable amount doesn't seem to help.

I'd like to make whatever adjustments it needs on my own because I really don't want to spend 50 bucks for a tune up. And plus i'm a diy kind of guy, don't like people touching my instruments.

Any suggestions or other things I should try to fix this problem? or do I really need to just have it looked at by a professional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Fret Buzz

Never adjust the truss if you don't know what your doing...have it looked at especially since you self adjusted it
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 PM

raise your bridge lol
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:30 AM

Reviews: 15

Exactly. Raise the bridge. What possessed you to toy with the truss rod when you stated that you have little or no experience with it?

Put the neck back to it's original state, and raise the bridge. I recommend asking here before jumping feet first into your next truss rod adjustment.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Try toying around with a combination of truss rod adjustments and bridge adjustments.
Don't worry about using the truss rod, it is not brain surgery.
Take small steps at the time, give it a rest and see what it did.

If you feel insecure, write down everything you do and about how much you move things so you can turn it all back if you want too.
And, if the very unlikely event, that you screw things up is it not harder than to go to a trained tech and have it fixed again.
It is all screws meant to adjust the guitar with, they wont break unless you do something really stupid.
You will never learn to adjust guitars unless you start to toy around with it.
No technician in the world did know how to do it without starting tp toy with it without knowing, it is sort how we people learn new things.

If adjustments wont do it then there are the options that you neck has a bent/unevenness in it (pretty common that it starts at somewhere around the 14-15 fret, that the neck goes down from there so it is impossible to adjust it properly). Not always fixable but have a tach take a look.
It can also be that the frets are leveled badly. Easy to fix for a tech.
Also that one or two (or so) frets has loosen from the fretboard and are to high. Easy to fix yourself, have a close look at your frets. If you can see that some are not properly down in the fretboard, knock them down carefully with a little hammer and a piece of wood between the fret and the hammer (knock on the wood instead of strait on the fret).

Good luck and don't worry about toying around.
Very few things you can screw up cant be fixed again.

/Magnus
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Try toying around with a combination of truss rod adjustments and bridge adjustments.
Don't worry about using the truss rod, it is not brain surgery.
Take small steps at the time, give it a rest and see what it did.

If you feel insecure, write down everything you do and about how much you move things so you can turn it all back if you want too.
And, if the very unlikely event, that you screw things up is it not harder than to go to a trained tech and have it fixed again.
It is all screws meant to adjust the guitar with, they wont break unless you do something really stupid.
You will never learn to adjust guitars unless you start to toy around with it.
No technician in the world did know how to do it without starting tp toy with it without knowing, it is sort how we people learn new things.

/Magnus
Yea I'm not an idiot, I've been setting up my guitars for years, just never really had to mess with the truss rod. That being said I don't really want to fiddle with it too much, so i'll probably just take it in and have it looked at. See if someone can at least tell me what the issue is without charging an arm and a leg...

Thanks for the replies guys.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM

Reviews: 15

It sounds like you loosened it too much. Look down the guitar from the headstock, down the side of the neck. You will see a pronounced bow. Tightening the truss rod will counter the changes you made. You probably want a slight bow, but not a large one. When adjusting the truss rod, make small adjustments, like an eighth of a turn at a time.

If you have other guitars with a setup you love, use a straight edge on the neck and use feeler gauges to measure the relief on that neck. Then adjust your problematic neck to those specs and adjust the bridge accordingly.

I recommend trying it yourself. What's the worst? You have to bring it to a pro? You're planning to do that anyway. So you have nothing to lose. Just don't fight the truss rod. If its telling you it can't be tightened anymore, don't force it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

yea that could be, I guess finding the balance is more tricky than I thought. I'll tighten it a bit. I do think maybe I could have gone too far.

And to those saying just raise the bridge, that's pointless if the bridge is already higher than I want it, and higher than it is on other guitars with no buzz problems. I want to fix the problem not hide it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM

plus after a quarter turn of the truss rod, it may need a day to actually settle in. Or at least in my experience I have found that in some guitars. I know I have adjusted it before to where it looks good, then the next day I have to dial it back a bit.

that said, is it the nut? : )
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsv9292 View Post
yea that could be, I guess finding the balance is more tricky than I thought. I'll tighten it a bit. I do think maybe I could have gone too far.

And to those saying just raise the bridge, that's pointless if the bridge is already higher than I want it, and higher than it is on other guitars with no buzz problems. I want to fix the problem not hide it.
Each guitar is unique. You can't use "Oh well my other guitar is setup this way" as an excuse. If your bridge is too low, because your cheap guitar's neck angle wasn't set properly, you need to raise the bridge. If thats how you need to set it up, thats how you set it up. Bridge height on a TOM is relative to both the position on the body and the neck angle. If you're not even willing to try it, enjoy your tech bill.

Here I made this image for you

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 05-14-2013 at 03:28 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

it's not that i'm not willing to try it, I re-adjust the bridge almost every time I change the strings, I just wouldn't want it to be so high I didn't feel comfortable playing it anymore... I do understand what you mean though, and the drawing is helpful.

I have attached some pictures of the neck in case it might help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (5).JPG (33.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo (4).JPG (34.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo (3).JPG (49.5 KB, 0 views)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 PM

Dude, I hate to say it, but your neck looks warped! Get a GOOD straight edge and see if you can make the fret board perfectly straight without strings on it dude. Sorry for being harsh, you made it sound like you weren't willing to touch your bridge haha
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Really? Does it look odd to you? what will getting it completely straight without strings do?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsv9292 View Post
Really? Does it look odd to you? what will getting it completely straight without strings do?
photo 3 looks strange to me. It could just be the camera and the angle. Getting it straight without strings allows you to check neck angle properly as well as make sure the neck is straight and not twisting anywhere.

Tags
short scale , truss rod adjustment , washburn wi-45

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode