Fret Buzz need help! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Fret Buzz need help!

Hi all,

I've got an RG2570 (2003 model) that is a dream to play, nice low action and great sound.

I've changed the strings (at a shop) and my guitar is now riddled with buzz all over the place, the bridge is as it should be - flush to the body - and the action was as I had it, but now its buzzing like crazy all over the neck.

It didn't do this before, there was a slight buzz that I quite like, but not as bad as now that makes playing not very nice.

Any tips? Is this a truss rod adjustment? I dont wan't the action a mile off the neck and the nut seems to be fine, this is just after this latest string change.

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Fret Buzz need help!

What kind of strings were on before and what strings are there on now? Was the gauge changed to a different gauge?

Jimmy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:06 PM

the bridge shouldn't be flush with the bdy. the knife edges of the trem should be(more of less depending on action). if the buzz is still pretty bad, loosen up the truss rod a bit until it relieves the buzzing, not too much, tho. if you do what can happen is that if you loosen it up too quickly, the string tension will increase and it will take longer for the neck to settle.

rich
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

hi same gauge - even the same strings!!! i dont use anything else but Dean Markley blue steel - haven't done for about 3 years.

I've 9-42s on this. knife edge is flush - bridge was reaching for the ceiling a while back but i sorted that with the screws in the back a while before re-string.

could it still be the truss rod? (one of the strings was off for a couple of days)

thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM

yeah, i would suspect it needs a truss rod adjustment. if that doesn't fix it, it needs the neck shimmed.

rich
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

at the nut or the joint of the body?

this really annoying as its been fine and now its just horrible.. truss rod slightly helped but still quite bad.. i can get it so its just the low E thats making the rattle = all the way up the neck and the then some frets quite bad from 12 onwards
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM

under the neck joint/heel. just a small shim under the neck side bolts(not the humbucker side) should create a bigger gap under the strings, while still keeping the tension the same. just a small shim, you don't want to make it to where you have to drop the trem lower into the trem route.

rich
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Reviews: 18

Raise the trem a bit and it should fix the problem.

Jimmy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

okie dokie - dont have the tools on me now this is such a pain - trying to sell the guitar the moment as well =/

ps thanks for the help much appreciated!

Tags
dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , markley blue steel , neck joint , neck shim , rod adjustment , string tension , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode