frets became slightly yellow ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
mai

frets became slightly yellow ?

yeah i ve been playing my j custom for a little over 3 weeks now, and i notice the frets have changed a bit of color from chrome to sorta yellow, whats the cause of this? Ive always wiped down the fretboard and the strings after every play, is this common ? ,also what strings are the best to reduce fret ware ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 06:14 PM

Re: frets became slightly yellow ?

Mate those things are meant to be thrashed to within an inch of their lives so I wouldn't worry about fretwear yet. Yeah, J Customs are beautiful guitars but I'd just play the guitar, enjoy it and worry about fretwear when it happens. You can always get the frets sorted down the line at some point.

BTW Which model of JC is she??

Cheers!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to ask, is it a new guitar that you've only had for the 3 weeks you mentioned??

Last edited by IbanezDaemon; 06-11-2010 at 06:33 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
mai

yeah i did a search, its very light tarnishing from oxidation hahaha its a j custom 8470 the one with the dun cans the cleans sound awesome, i mainly play jazz and fusion =D
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Nice one. JCRG8470 range are beautiful guitars so congratz on that!! Fire up some pics of it if you can when you hit 10 posts or more on here. I'm sure there a few guys on here who'd like to see it including me. Thanks!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM

It happens,often from acidity of hands (depends on individual) or weather conditions etc.
When you next change your strings tape over the wood of the fret board and gently rub fret wire with very fine grade steel wool to polish back to chrome.
Don't be too heavy handed,a light rub will bring them back and allow smooth bends.
AGAIN,MASK THE FRET BOARD!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 PM

You should also take the neck off the guitar or you'll end up with steel wool bits all stuck to the pickup magnets. The frets never stay shiny forever, but you can polish 'em up really easy if you take a bit of extra time when you change strings.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
mai

i doubt that you should take the neck off that would be one major pain in the ass to setup the trem again, i think its easier to mask the fretboard, and cover your pickups with tape and the open pickup hole area with tape as well and that should solve that problem but yeah the reason for this post is because i have never seen tarnish before even on my cheap 400$ bc rich, but then again the frets on my bc rich were really weak
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 08:36 PM

This is what I use:
http://www.gorgomyte.com/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
i doubt that you should take the neck off that would be one major pain in the ass to setup the trem again
That makes no sense at all. Once you remove the springs, whether the neck is on of off the guitar has absolutely no bearing on the bridge. As long as you're using the same strings and same tuning, the bridge should go right back to where you had it set, just like when you change springs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 05:55 AM

I use fret polishing paper, It's like extremely fine sandpaper and brings them up to a smooth mirror shine, I'm not too keep on wire wool on the frets as they don't come out as smooth, plus the need to tape up the pickups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode