Frets coming off the fretboard - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Frets coming off the fretboard

I have some serious problems lately with my ibanez 460MH
apparantly the frets are coming off the fret board and i can see holes beneath the frets themselves and a piece of paper can be slipped in

it has also made the action terrible high that the tech said that a total refret might save the neck.

would buying a neck from warmoth fit directly to the RG450MH?

because if im going to refret it, i might as well go with a new neck.
any recommendations for a new neck that will fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 05:17 PM

Re: Frets coming off the fretboard

Hold on a minute (don't jump to conclusions). A refret is no reason to replace the neck (unless you have some other reason to do so).

Most likely, yo ucan just reseat those frets back down in the slots, and probably add some glue to hold them in. You may need a level and polish after that, but then you would probably be done. (Of course it is hard to say without seeing your neck.) It doesn't sound like a full refret is needed. Perhaps a partial refret. Depends on the condition of the existing frets.

Take it to a GOOD tech, and it should be a pretty easy repair. (Unless of course there is some other problem you are leaving out -- like the reason the frets are coming out in the first place.) I'd avoid taking it to the tech you already mentioned. If he thinks "a total refret MIGHT save the neck", he either doesn't know what he is doing or is just trying to screw you. A complete refret, done correctly, certainly would save it.

If they aren't factory-original frets, it may be the case that the fret wire wasn't properly matched to the slots, and that is the reason the frets are now coming loose. In that case, a full refret might be in order. Depends on the situation. But it should still be relatively easy to repair. Definitely not enough reason to replace the neck.

Of course, if a new neck is what you want, go for it ... but you probably will still need fret work on the new neck.

Good luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 1

Remember that if the guitar is new you should not take all the string at once when restring in the neck is still geting used to be tense so when it gets relexed without anty strings the frets will come out(It happened to me)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:11 PM

Are all the frets coming out, or just a few? I had a guitar with one fret that was popping out, I tried removing the neck, placing it on foam and carefully hammering the fret back in. However it popped back out after a while. So I carefully pulled it up with this tool whose name I forget (it was able to grab under the fret, looked slightly like pliers), put a dab of super glue in the slot on the side where it was popping up, then hammered the fret back in. I was lucky and only had to sand a little bit of the fret to get it even with the others.

Either way, unless this neck is warped badly, there is no reason to replace it. Fretwire costs about $15 for the whole neck, of course most of the money is in the labor...

Tags
fret board , fret wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode