Fun Project: Restoring 92 MIK Squier HSS Stratocaster (Warning: Big Pics) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Fun Project: Restoring 92 MIK Squier HSS Stratocaster (Warning: Big Pics)

Firstly, yea, I know it's a Squier and those of you with higher end guitars may cast a dubious eye on this project, but hey - it's for a friend and it's for fun. Like many of you, I'm a guitar mechanic that loves working on them as much as playing them.

Specs:
1992 Squier Strat. Made in Korea. Sperzel locking tuners. Yamaha humbucker in the bridge (don't know what model #, at least not yet). Pickguard looks artificially routed for it, but I'm not certain since I've never owned a HSS Strat. Otherwise, it's completely stock. 21 Frets, one piece maple neck and board, and it looks to be a plywood body at first glance but I'll know for sure later.

My friend usually plays acoustic but I'm trying to get him to play his electric more and jam out

Before Pictures:
Body front and back. At this point all I've done is replace the trem springs with new ones and aligned them diagonally for better tuning stability. Yes, all of the stickers will be taken off

Last edited by kspeed; 03-02-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Re: Fun Project: Restoring 92 MIK Squier HSS Stratocaster (Warning: Big Pics)

y did u pull that out of the dumpster
it belongs in a high school bonfire
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Here's the neck and headstock, front and back. Pretty safe bet the frets have never been dressed or leveled and the fingerboard has never been cleaned. From its grain and heft it actually feels like a quality piece of tree, though.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
y did u pull that out of the dumpster
it belongs in a high school bonfire
The answer to your question is within the first few lines of his post.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post

i know i know

i hurled when i saw that strat, but its okay
give it a jem swirl!!!!!!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Closeups of the worn out board and bars for posterity. He does a lot of chord playing, as you can see. The upper frets are in pretty good shape, but the neck itself is pure nastage. The sticker at fret 15 is history. I can't even tell what the **** it was.

Last edited by kspeed; 03-02-2008 at 09:51 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Hahaha - that first reply is exactly what I expected, but no hard feelings

Yea, we were making fun of the stickers last night. I'll update this thread as I progress, which will be a long and drawn out process. I pray to the luthier gods that I maintain my sanity till the end.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:46 PM

take the guitar, re shape the horns with a orbital and belt sander

tke the head and give it a banana, and throw a couple of pickups u get from the used shop

and make it a frankie!!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Addressing the hideous neck, board and frets:
First pic is prep'ing. Two layers of masking tape per fret with four strips down each side to prevent scuffing.

Second pic is post-sanding with 3000 grit wet sandpaper. Most of the grooves in the fretbars have been eliminated and I carefully rounded off the ends which, if you're familiar with Squiers and Mexican made Fenders, are notoriously rough.

No teasers, so no additional pictures till later I still need to do some leveling, polishing, and cleaning.

Last edited by kspeed; 03-02-2008 at 11:47 PM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 PM

but whats kewl, is that ur not worried about the neck, give it a full scalop, all u really need is a rounded file, and a fine wire brush or even the fine atachment to a dremel, shape it, smooth it, polish it, nd then use a peice of 2x4 and sandpaper and dress out the frets pretty flat!!!! it will rock, i say now i see the beauty
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
give it a jem swirl!!!!!!
now THAT would make me hurl.

You're doing an awesome job, Strats are sweet. My favorite axes by far. And I'd advise against scalloping the board, particularly if your friend does mostly chord work.

But GREAT job on the neck and frets man! It's a sweet deal. Keep up the good work.

I'd also suggest sanding the thing down and refinishing it, maybe even a nitrocellulose laquer, but that's up to you.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice I'd scallop it but that would probably be too foreign for him. I was going to take the dremel to it if my hand sanding didn't turn out as planned, but since it hasn't been played much (recently) I don't really need to take it beyond polishing at this point. The frets were flat rather than round to begin with, which made the job easier.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBlindingLights View Post
now THAT would make me hurl.

You're doing an awesome job, Strats are sweet. My favorite axes by far. And I'd advise against scalloping the board, particularly if your friend does mostly chord work.

But GREAT job on the neck and frets man! It's a sweet deal. Keep up the good work.

I'd also suggest sanding the thing down and refinishing it, maybe even a nitrocellulose laquer, but that's up to you.
Again, thanks for the positive vibes, everyone

No swirl I might end up sanding down the body and refinishing it. The stickers have been on there for so long they might be fused into (what's likely a) poly finish, but if I can avoid that I will.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
XR4

I have already done a mod to mi MIK Squier exactly like your friendīs strat. Full scallop fretboard, brass nut, 3 way switch and Ferrari logo, something in the Malmsteenīs style...

regards...

Martin
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4 View Post
I have already done a mod to mi MIK Squier exactly like your friendīs strat. Full scallop fretboard, brass nut, 3 way switch and Ferrari logo, something in the Malmsteenīs style...

regards...

Martin
Nice! I hope this one looks as good as yours once it's finished. What year is yours?

The nut looks alright on this one, but I have yet to play or restring it. I'm thinking of tossing on a Graph Tech nut and saddles *if* I replace the pickguard with a black one.

What say you, Jemmers? The original pickguard is white. It will be replaced with 1) white 2) black 3) pearloid.

My vote goes for black with Graph Tech nut and saddles, but I'll need to make sure that's alright.

Tags
fret level , jem swirl , locking tuners , maple neck , output pickup , pickup height , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , squier strat , toggle switch , trem springs , upper fret , upper frets , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode