G string only fretting out/choking notes - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

G string only fretting out/choking notes

I have an RG652AHM which yesterday i had setup for 12-60 drop B and had the floating bridge blocked on both sides so it acts like a fixed bridge. The setup is good but however I noticed the G string only (tuned to E) is choking out when i play it most noticeably on the 12th fret and higher. Not just on bends, just like playing the fretted 12th fret.

I tried doing less or more relief and raising action on treble side a tiny bit, but the weird thing is that the B and high E dont have the same issue as the G. And if the action was too low on treble side or the relief was wrong wouldn't that affect all three treble strings? And I know it's not a fret issue because I've checked all the frets and it's a prestige guitar, I didnt have this issue until it was set up for drop B. Previously it was in E std with 10-46.

Any help would be appreciated, but I will take it back to my tech ASAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 06:18 AM

Re: G string only fretting out/choking notes

Is your G a wound string I'm assuming; I'm sure it's pretty heavy either way. This is a wild guess but I wonder if that little bit of extra mass might make enough of a difference to make setting the relief a bit wonky. I have a RG652AHMS which has the same neck. Mine adjusts insanely low but it's not the thickest/stoutest neck out there. I have read about weirdness on the G strings of these guitars but never experienced it. In any event, I'd suggest your tech make sure to check how the the guitar plays as they set the relief. Specs only get one so far...

FWIW I also have a RG2027XL (27" scale). I can't recommend it enough for tuning down. It's got a relatively fast neck for a 7 string but it sounds *tight.*

Tags
fretting out , g string , ibanez prestige , no sustain , rg652

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode