GAS for a 550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

GAS for a 550

I really want a 550 or 570 with aanj, right now i have only 150 dollars and i'm going to sell my digitech rpx400 either here or on ****, and I think i'm going to sell my psp with my 2 one gig memory cards. I wanted to know what is a normal price for an aanj 550 and how much do you think i can get from my rpx400? Also which model do you guys prefer 550 or 570?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Dee

Re: GAS for a 550

I prefer the 550. I like guitars with pickguards. You should be able to get one for between $400 and $600 depending on condition.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

yeah 550 with pg im going for then, i forgot for a second that 570's didnt have em lol
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

oh one more question, what pups do you think i should put in it, i was thinking maybe some evo 2's or maybe breeds with evo2 bridge, or i think it is paf pro with x2n or w/e its called
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:25 AM

I prefer breeds. I think Evo's are over rated personally. Never heard and EVO2 so I can't say. Definitely Breeds.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Dee

What kind of tone are you after? What are some of your favourite players/sounds?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-MAN View Post
I prefer breeds. I think Evo's are over rated personally. Never heard and EVO2 so I can't say. Definitely Breeds.
+1 Although it does depend on your own personal preference.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
I really want a 550 or 570 with aanj, right now i have only 150 dollars and i'm going to sell my digitech rpx400 either here or on ****, and I think i'm going to sell my psp with my 2 one gig memory cards. I wanted to know what is a normal price for an aanj 550 and how much do you think i can get from my rpx400? Also which model do you guys prefer 550 or 570?
Better get a 550 since your 2570 is a much better 570.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
What kind of tone are you after? What are some of your favourite players/sounds?
well of course i listen to vai, also satriani, paul gilbert, pettruci and srv (sometimes buckethead)

I want really my own tone that is vai'ish but also i want to be able to get some good screamin blues from it

edit: also i have 2 more question lol, do the aanj 550's have less color choices? and is the old neck joint version so bad?

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 02-22-2007 at 03:03 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
well of course i listen to vai, also satriani, paul gilbert, pettruci and srv (sometimes buckethead)

I want really my own tone that is vai'ish but also i want to be able to get some good screamin blues from it

edit: also i have 2 more question lol, do the aanj 550's have less color choices? and is the old neck joint version so bad?
I have a 98 550 in DY it has the AANJ... the old neck joint versions aren't so bad .. the neck joint isn't too much of a limiting factor.... more than anything on most guitars its the lower horn being too close to the neck and not cut away enough.... Rg's have HUGE gaps between the neck and horn so either the OLD neck joint or the AANJ feel great...

http://mikeymike.archwolf.net/2guitars/thetwo2.jpg
http://mikeymike.archwolf.net/2guitars/yallow2.jpg

to see all my pics http://mikeymike.archwolf.net/2guitars/
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
I have a 98 550 in DY it has the AANJ... the old neck joint versions aren't so bad .. the neck joint isn't too much of a limiting factor.... more than anything on most guitars its the lower horn being too close to the neck and not cut away enough.... Rg's have HUGE gaps between the neck and horn so either the OLD neck joint or the AANJ feel great...

http://mikeymike.archwolf.net/2guitars/thetwo2.jpg
http://mikeymike.archwolf.net/2guitars/yallow2.jpg

to see all my pics http://mikeymike.archwolf.net/2guitars/
man i love your dy, like the green strap too. If i get a dy i'd probably put some green or pink pups on it though
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 06:28 PM
rya

i have GAS for 550 too. ERG LUCKY!! i love your DY!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
man i love your dy, like the green strap too. If i get a dy i'd probably put some green or pink pups on it though
dude im pissed because i found out that dimarzio makes a yellow strap... i bought the green one thinking thats the closest i could get..... so i am thinking i should buy a yellow strap... trade the green one to someone or something i dont know.... i COULD put the green one on my 520QS but.... eh i dont know how that will match.... i wanted the blue dimarzio for that one

thanks for the compliments by the way... i love my 550 so much... i have nightmares of it being broken lol
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya View Post
i have GAS for 550 too. ERG LUCKY!! i love your DY!
Thanks man I love it too. It's the best thing ever. I want to put some dimarzio's in it... not sure what to put in it.... my 520QS has EMG 81/85's in it and they sound REALLY TIGHT and i love the tone.... BUT the 520 is mahogany.... and not pickguard... so i dunno... i want a nice tight tone for my 550 but i dont want to lose the bass... it seems like my 520 has less bass.. like when i play fast low runs like around frets 2-5 on the low E and A... it sounds thin.... on my 550 with the stock v8 it sounds nice and full. i dont really know much about pickups to make a good choice.. oh well thats why im on jemsite
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

so you guys think breeds? i've heard the bridge breed isn't that good but the neck is!? also on the other 550 thread some1 said paf pro neck and tone zone in the bridge, i'm not sure if it's my style of pups but i just figured i would throw that out there

Tags
headstock binding , neck joint , paf pro , paf pro neck , paul gilbert , pro neck , rosewood board , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode