GAS: Another What to Buy Thread - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

GAS: Another What to Buy Thread

Guys I have major GAS for another guitar (or even another amp, yes I know I love my Legacy but more gear adds to the spectrum of tone)

I have wanted a 7 string for awhile so I was thinking of a 7620 but I also really want a 550. I don't know how to play a 7 or if the extra string will bring me new ideas for chords and things, (not a heavy player so not for low chugging), but I play bass so I will be able to learn it quickly.
The 550 would be a nice backup for gigs though, since I'd like to have the same amt of strings as an alternate.

It is really down to those 2 choices but as I mentioned I would also maybe like another amp for more tone choices depending on the style I'm playing for gigs, the Legacy paired with my Boss Gt-Pro can do basically everything but 80's metal, so if I was to get an amp I might look at a 5150 or jcm800 kit.

Please list your suggestions, my buget is around 400-700. I have 400 at the moment and hope to sell more to get up to 700.

Sorry for any mistakes or messed up sentences, I'm on my phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 AM

Reviews: 16
Re: GAS: Another What to Buy Thread

For 80's tone I would suggest getting an ADA MP-1. You can get them cheap (around $200 to $250) and they'll do warm blues tone as well as the metal 80's sound. You could use an A/B box to switch from the Boss to the MP-1 going into your Legacy, or you could do a special patch on your Boss and run the MP-1 into it, or the other way around and then into the Legacy.

Besides the MP-1, there's a few models from Digitech that'll do the same thing. The 2101, 2120, GFX-1. There's also the ART SGX Express. All of these can be had for under $350. I actually have one of everything I just mentioned except for the 2120. There's some debate that the 2101 sounds a bit better than the 2120. They're all awesome though.

7 strings aren't for just chugging heavy metal songs in B. I'm completely addicted to 7 strings now and metal isn't all that I do. That extra string gives you more possibilities for fingering as well as tone. I'm tempted to try a RG2228 (Ibanez's 8 string model) just for that reason. You can get a nice, nearly mint condition RG7640 for around $600 or so I would think. A used RG1527 would probably be more expensive. Just look around for those two models.

I would suggest getting a 7 string rather than a 6. With a 7 you gain that back-up guitar you want as well as expanding your possibilities for songs and such.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 AM

Hi newbieguitarmaker
I understand your GAS questions, as this happens to me really often.
I have a budget, I'd like to get something new to enhance my entertaining times, how could I do that, what could I buy for that.
Most of the time I know I have everuthing I need already so I end up with a new guitar. (Guitar shapes always enhance my entertainment, no exception)
I also wanted a 7 strings ibz before I realized the 540pII I was missing a 540PII terribly.

So my advice is: take some time to know what would entertain you most by googling, jamming (with the gear you'd like - if you can - if you've not already done that), and try as much as you can to figure how much one choice or another would help going further in the way you want. (if you don't mind large neck, a 7th string could be just great for blues rock I think)
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

To courtney, The ADA Mp-1 was another thing I was looking at, I will look into it more. The boss can get some blues tone with the blues od but I'm sure the ADA will do better. But how wold I run it with the legacy? I know the preamp in my Boss I have to turn off or else I'm running 2 preamps and it squeals. Is it from being in the effects loop? Also I think PG used his ADA with a BBE so my 822A might be put to more use if I get it. (Got the 822A for free from Grammy Award winner, score!)

To cosmitron, I definitely agree with what you are saying and I completely agree. You put it very well too, I will use your advice to help me better decide what to buy.

If I can get an ADA Mp-1 for around $200 then I will be able to buy a 7 string farther in the year which would please 2 parts of my GAS, also the ADA will fit in my rack and not take up as much room as another head, especially in my dorm (even though I don't have that much stuff other than gear)

Also I like the Digitech 2101 and 2120, my dad had both of these at one point. (before I played at all but I played with my action figures and acted like I was putting on concerts)
A local pawn shop was wanted $1000 for a 2120 though, I am fed up with pawn shops now haha. But the ADA is what I will look into the most.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

That ADA is pure sex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A71b8KVafM
I might be getting one this week even, but I am still open to other suggestions. Maybe someone will pull a hare out of a hat
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 PM

I would try doing guitar to MP-1 to Boss to Legacy. Make a new patch in your Boss with the gain turned down so you have a nice clean channel and a flat EQ setting. Get your MP-1's settings the way you like and then fine tune it on the Boss patch. That's for using the MP-1 for a 80's metal sound.

To use your Boss set the MP-1 to a clean channel, turn the gain down on the MP-1 so that the only thing that it's happening is the signal is going thru the tubes to give it that analog/tube response.

If that doesn't come out well then use an A/B box to switch between guitar-Boss-Legacy and guitar-MP1-Legacy. Use the Legacy as a power amp with a flat EQ response. I would advice against using the chorus that's built into the MP-1. I think it sucks frankly. I'd either use the effects on the Legacy or pick up some pedals for chorus and reverb.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
That ADA is pure sex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A71b8KVafM
I might be getting one this week even, but I am still open to other suggestions. Maybe someone will pull a hare out of a hat

Another is the Digitech Valve FX. It's a pretty hot ticket as well if you can find one. I've been keeping my eye out for on the bay.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Alright, so no effects loop then? And use the Legacy clean with the other preamps doing the work?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Why not get a good OD pedal and pair it with the Legacy? Surely you could get some good 80s tones.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I have a Keeley Ds-1, Keeley Comp. and a Keeley Ts9-Flexi but its not there for 80's tone. I am trying to sell my screamer since I haven't been getting much use out of it and just the money from the screamer would pay for the ADA. The only good I have gotten out of the TS9 with my legacy is that it can add some good bluesy tone to my clean channel.

Maybe I am just not putting in the right settings, the compressor with the ds-1 adds a little bit of an edge but not what the ADA seems to get.

Also as I said since the ADA isn't that expensive I will probably get another Ibanez in a few months. I think the rg7620 will be what I will buy since I do really want to at least try 7 string and if it isn't for me I can just sell the thing and get a Rg550.

edit: Speak of the devil, I found an even better setting with the TS9 and compressor for the tone I'm looing for but it still isn't there and also it is buzzing like a mofo. Still think an
ADA would help

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 01-20-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Breakthrough?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Alright, so no effects loop then? And use the Legacy clean with the other preamps doing the work?

Which effects loop are you talking about - the Legacy's of the Boss'? Either way, I don't think I would use an effects loop for that. You can definitely try it out first and see how it goes. No harm in that.

I would use the Legacy as a power amp...nothing more than a tool to amplify the signal it's receiving. Start off with a flat EQ and get the MP-1 dialed in on the sound you like. Then you can tweak on the EQ on the Legacy to really nail the sound you want, but use the EQ on the MP-1 first. You really want to leave the Legacy's EQ alone. If you do end up messing with the Legacy's EQ hopefully you can use the same setting for when you're using the Boss.

In the youtube link that you posted the sound that Paul is getting didn't come from the MP-1 alone. He had some other ADA equipment in that rack. One was a Multiverb for sure. Don't know what the others were. Multiverbs can be had off the bay for cheap as well, but you can get the same thing out of a pedal or maybe the Legacy has that covered.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

He had the ADA MQ I think too, but I am currently using the Gt-pro in my effects loop and I know that my preamp in my Boss doesn't want to co-mingle very well with my Legacy's preamp. Is it because I have it in my effects loop or incorrect settings?

Do I just plug into the effects return?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Ya just effects return, figured it out. But I want to use the Legacy's preamp for most applications, so should I just put a switcher between the Boss and ADA and when I want to use the ADA, pull the effects send plug and swap to ADA?

Edit: No I'd always the Boss in the loop though because I am using its delay and reverb, which is sort of why I want to trade my Gt-pro for a G-Major or something since I don't need the preamp features.

Also would like to say sorry for slowly turning this thread into something in the wrong section

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 01-20-2009 at 09:19 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Crap, another problem with that PG video is, didn't he use Voodoo Amp mods on his Mp-1?

I was thinking of adding mods later to the 5150 when I was thinking about getting one of those so I guess I'd be fine with buying mods later if I really needed them.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 PM

Yea, all his MP-1s were modded by Voodoo, but that doesn't mean you can't get very close to that sound with it stock. I've got two, one is stock and the other my beau has messed with the tiny variable resistors on the circuit board. With one of the patches he stored it sounds almost identical to his '69 Marshall Plexi. The one that is stock has a broad range of sounds. Trust me, you'll be able to get the 80's sound with it stock. If you need more, just put a distortion pedal in front of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode