GAS ATTACK - Wolfgang standard - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

GAS ATTACK - Wolfgang standard

I now have a MINT Wolfgang standard USA w/ a highly flamed maple top in vintage sunbusrt I just added to my family!!
I found an ad that a guy just posted on a couple of websites and immediately emailed him. He responded with a phone # and so I called him up.
He said he had only posted the ads minutes before and was only wanting $650 shipped w/ original case for the guitar. I was nervous as to why he was selling it so cheap (usually $1649 NEW and $900 average used), and there was a possibility of the instrument be a real lemon. He had changed the pickups out to EMG 81 and 89's and had put chrome Schallers on it to replace the pearl button tuners. He said there were no mods done to the guitar other than the pups and the tuners and there had been no routing done for the EMG's.
I went ahead with the deal and when the guitar arrived I almost pi**ed myself!! The guitar was gorgeous!!
I immediately called Peavey (I am an authorized dealer) and had them send out a replacement EVH neck pup and a couple new saddles to replace the couple that had very minor corrosion. I then found someone selling a creme/blk Tone Zone neck pup and made sure that was on the way as well.
Almost a week later I had all the needed parts and started putting it together. I left the push/pull pot in it to switch the EVH pup to series single coils. It sounds GREAT!! I'm very happy with the Tone Zone!! I was recommended the TZ from other Jemsters and my thanks goes out!
If I knew how to link a pic with this post I'd show it off- but sadly , I'm no wiz on the computer.
Any help would be appreciated!!
Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 10:45 PM

I love Wolfgangs! Congrats, and enjoy. Unfortunately I am no whiz with my website, or I`d offer to host some pics for you
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 11:20 PM

I could post the pics for you if you want. Just email them to me at... [email protected] and I'll put them up.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rotti! I emailed a pic of the new Wolfie that was taken before the new pups were installed.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 10:59 AM

WOW! that is one sweet guitar. Here's the pic....

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Your the man Rotti!! Thanks for posting the pic for me!!
The Wolfie now has a set of creme/blk pups in it and they really set off the finish!! The pic looks great but nothing compared to the "in person" view!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:44 AM

I'm not a huge Wolfy fan but that's a beauty...love the figured neck!
Greg
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 11:27 AM

The neck is georgous. It looks like there is a space cut away from the fretboard near the body. Is that where the truss rod adjustment is?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 03:38 PM

OMG!! Damn Wolfies get me every time, cant get enough of them!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
The neck is georgous. It looks like there is a space cut away from the fretboard near the body. Is that where the truss rod adjustment is?
Yes, that's where the T/R adjustment is on the Wolfie.....
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 05:06 PM

I am sorry but I could eat that guitar! lol that is sooooo nice!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

I love this guitar and play it very often!!
When I got it the neck was really dirty and dark. I took 000 steel wool to the neck - front and back- and then lemon oiled it. It has a very "3-D" look to the birds-eye. The neck is one of the most figured I've seen and I'm a dealer!
I actually have to look at it before I goto work and when I come home to be sure I didn't dream that it is mine!!
I hope to hit the Custom Shop at Peavey for at least 1 if not 2 Custom jobs since I have access at a dealer rate. They are such a well built guitar and Peavey's flagship of there guitar line so they put a lot of effort in every single one!! I was told that the custom shop guys help out on the finishing and other stages of production on the normal production models when orders are slow. Right now there is a 3 month wait for a custom job.
Thanks guys- I'm glad I could share some of my joy!
Todd
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 07:00 PM

Beutiful!!

I have an Ivory std wolfgang with a gunked up neck (due to the amount of time playing the bugger).

So the 000 steel wool trick works yeah? Is it something for a woodwork hack to attempt? Also where do you acquire 000 steel wool?

Thanks
Andy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat110
Beutiful!!

I have an Ivory std wolfgang with a gunked up neck (due to the amount of time playing the bugger).

So the 000 steel wool trick works yeah? Is it something for a woodwork hack to attempt? Also where do you acquire 000 steel wool?

Thanks
Andy
you can get the wool at walmart although you may just need a solid coat of lemon oil. By the way thats possibly the best wolfie neck ive *ever* seen, and i browse evil bay and hav been to countless dealerships and ive never seen one that sweet
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

try a cotton cloth with lemon oil first. if the gunk is still there, then try the 000 steel wool. you need to be careful of the plastic dots on the fretborad as you'll scratch them if you use the steel wool over them. be firm but gentle with the steel wool and take your time.
i see Wolfgangs all the time on ebay and i am a Peavey dealer, and i haven't seen a birds eye neck with as much depth as this one has. it still has very faint green lines in it from bad strings or something that has soaked into the wood. they are not very noticable when the guitar is strung.
i like the sound of the pup configuration but will buy a production model or possibly a custom shop and keep it with the stock pups as they sound awesome!! it will probably be the blk "tuxedo" style standard w/ a trem.

Tags
custom shop , flamed maple , fret board , neck pup , production model , rod adjustment , steel wool , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode