GAS: Choices... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

View Poll Results: Which guitar for sound / playability?
Music Man JP-6 Ball Family Reserve 16 36.36%
Ibanez JS1200 15 34.09%
Ibanez JEM7VWH 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

GAS: Choices...

Okay, so I "need" to purchase a new guitar. I currently own a '98 Peavey Wolfgang. Its the reg arch top w/ floyd rose and d-tuna. Stock everything. 22 frets. I am a huge shred / metal / Satriani / modern rock / Hendrix player. I have been looking at several guitars.

MM JP-6 BFR - MusicMan John Petrucci 6 string - Ball Family Reserve (think Fender Custom Shop) - color is black burst with a quilt top. Added bonus: piezo bridge.

Ibanez JS1200 - Candle Apple Red w/ the new p/u's that he has been using on his new albums.

Ibanez JEM7vwh - the "evo" guitar. nuff said in this forum.

*keep in mind that if I by either Ibanez, I will be getting a pro setup (ibanezrules.com, right?)

There is about $1000 difference between the two, I know this, so please, just comment on the fact as to whether or not you have had the chance to play one of these guitars and key differences. I don't have to have a good single coil (tapped) sound, but it would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Re: GAS: Choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferzero View Post
Okay, so I "need" to purchase a new guitar. I currently own a '98 Peavey Wolfgang. Its the reg arch top w/ floyd rose and d-tuna. Stock everything. 22 frets. I am a huge shred / metal / Satriani / modern rock / Hendrix player. I have been looking at several guitars.

MM JP-6 BFR - MusicMan John Petrucci 6 string - Ball Family Reserve (think Fender Custom Shop) - color is black burst with a quilt top. Added bonus: piezo bridge.

Ibanez JS1200 - Candle Apple Red w/ the new p/u's that he has been using on his new albums.

Ibanez JEM7vwh - the "evo" guitar. nuff said in this forum.

*keep in mind that if I by either Ibanez, I will be getting a pro setup (ibanezrules.com, right?)

There is about $1000 difference between the two, I know this, so please, just comment on the fact as to whether or not you have had the chance to play one of these guitars and key differences. I don't have to have a good single coil (tapped) sound, but it would be nice.

Never played a BFR, but I did have a regular EB/MM Petrucci, and Id take it over an Ibanez all day
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:31 PM

I agree, I'd take the EBMM over the Ibanezes without a doubt.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Vendor

I quit handling them because EBMM quality went downhill, a lot. Not that I don't have my own issues with Ibanez, but the MM's were all custom orders, so a problem ended up taking 4 months to correct, at minimum.

If you want a whammy machine there is no better. If whammy isn't a factor then an MM might be a better option.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 06:36 PM

I have a 7vwh.... and I totally love it. Although I haven't played the others.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I played a MM JP-6 at a GC 5 years ago. I was more impressed with it then but a lot has changed since then (different pickups, different woods on the BFR). I know that the Fender CS models are MUCH better built than the Amer Std lines, so I am assuming that they (MM) are much more passionate about their BFR guitars as well. I probably won't order one directly from them as I know MFriend and GC regularly stock them in the private/platinum setups.

A big concern I have about the Ibanez's would be the bridge/hardware rusting. I have only seen this once in Oklahoma at the local GC in Tulsa (I think the JS1000 is still there). I know that GC doesn't take care of their merch at all because they can't keep a decent salesperson to save their life. But still, I don't want to purchase a guitar that is gonna rust just from setting out of the case.

More I am finding out about the MM: mahogany + maple top body, mahogany neck w/ rosewood fretboard.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 PM

I currently own a MM BFR JPM and it is a great guitar. The tone block in the guitar does wonders for sound and the piezo and pickup options are great.
As far as the trem, mine has never been an issue.

I don't want to sway you one way or the other.
All I can say, is play some and dont rush into anything.

But I agree with Rich on the aspect of waiting months. I have a second JPM on order and I ordered a month or so ago, and it wont be finished until Late September. I don't mind because, EBMM has a great product and is worth the wait.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM

JS= better value
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 10:58 PM

All 3 are great instruments, but different.Neck profiles, fretboard radius, body woods etc.I've owned all of them.I would definitely try them if you can.I sold the 4 petrucci's only because the neck was great for exteme speed but didn't feel good for bending licks, even with high action.I sold the js because of the fretboard radius.Still have a vwh but prefer the rg 20th overall.Moral of the story, don't be impulsive like I've been.While it is fun trying different stuff out.Don't do like I did and buy and try it out later.It gets a little expensive.That being said, I give the ebmm a nod for overall quality and versatility.And yes I suffer from g.a.s.!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: GAS: Choices...

This isn't Erniesite or Joesite fellas, the only choice is the one with the vine baby!!!
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:26 PM

The EBMM, I'd take it over any ibanez anyday. My Jem77BFP is last ibanez, no more ibanez for me, I'd tried a ton of high end ibanez, JS, Jem, Rg series, they still can't beat early production ibanez.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 02:24 AM

Reviews: 65

And I sold my EBMM JP for my JEM7vwh and never looked back. For me playability was just tons better on the Jem and for the price of the EBMM quality was quite low (took me almost a year and 3 guitars to get one without problems).
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 AM

At the level of instrument you are after, quality should not be an issue, so it really comes down to personal preference. The only way to know which you will like most is to play 'em yourself, one after the other if possible.

If it were my pick, i'd go a JS1000, but i've been gassing for one for a while now, so my vote is a bit biased. JEM's are awesome guitars, and I doubt you'd regret buying one. I've never played a BFR, but i'm not a fan of the EBMM's I have played. Just my 2 cents.

I hope you are happy with your choice, good luck.

Rock on!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 AM

[email protected]

This poll will close on 09-16-2008 at 05:31 PM
MM JP-6 BFR 7 33.33%
Ibanez JS1200 7 33.33%
Ibanez JEM7VWH 7 33.33%
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 AM

Reviews: 3

One more vote for the JS1200!

Tags
7 string , fretboard radius , jem 7wvh , js1200 , petrucci , petrucci model , scooped mids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode