GAS Claims Another Victim!1 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

GAS Claims Another Victim!1

Well, I picked up an '86 USA BC Rich ST-III a week or so back, and figured I'd show her off. According to the neck plate, it was made in LA, California.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...GEETARS004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...GEETARS003.jpg

Sorry I'm such a crappy picture taker.

I am kind of diasppointed that I have to replace the Floyd on it, as it broke the first day I got it. But, it was practically a steal, so whatever.

Also, since it has an older style locking nut, I had a question for y'all. There's some itsy bitsy cracks around the 2 screws that bolt the lock nut to neck. Will my guitar be okay?I've heard about this happening with older style ones, but wasn't sure if it posed a threat to my neck or not. Thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...GEETARS006.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: GAS Claims Another Victim!1

*cough*

I'd really like to know about the cracks near the lock nut.

Why do you people hate me so?

You guys suck.

Last edited by Salamander In The Sun; 06-05-2007 at 10:15 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Cracks?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Very thin 80's necks typically develop cracks there from a mix of weather and owner incompetence. Wood expands and contracts with changes in temperature and humidity, sometimes leaving the locking nut bolts a little loose. Owners tighten up their nuts (hey, who doesn't? ), and the neck cracks when the wood gradually expands. You'd rather have the cracks run up towards the tip of the headstock than towards the fretboard or down the neck, but as long as you don't mess too much with the nut you should be ok. Again, this happens a lot with thin Wizard style necks, so lots of Ibanez and Rich owners have seen these. I think you'll be fine.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I thought I was never going to get a reply. After 106 views, and no replies, a man starts to get desperate.

That's comforting.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the cracks from advancing? I was thinking about something along the lines of spreading some Titebond over the cracks, then clamping the neck to press the cracks back down into the wood, and maybe prevent them from spreading further.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: GAS Claims Another Victim!1

Just so you know that BC Rich is not made in America it is made in Japan in spite of what it says on the neck plate. American made BC Riches say USA on the headstock and sport an OFR or Kahler and have name brand pups.
Still congrats on the acqusition.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
Just so you know that BC Rich is not made in America it is made in Japan in spite of what it says on the neck plate. American made BC Riches say USA on the headstock and sport an OFR or Kahler and have name brand pups.
Still congrats on the acqusition.
Way to spoil my fun!

Naw, just kidding. MIJ is just as good as MIA, to me at least. It's the first guitar I've ever owned that's of really good quality, so I'm tickled pink either way.

I ordered an OFR, and a Seymour Duncan JB for it. So when I'm done, it'll more or less be equivalent to an MIA BC Rich.

I wonder what singles I should get for it.

Thanks for the congrats, I appreciate it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 08:11 AM

Nice looking guitar..especially considering the age! The headstock shape is that one used for the old N.J. (japanese made series). AWESOME bang for the buck. On early 90s versions of USA made BCR's they also had their own BC Rich stamp version (liscensed) Floyd, very similiar to the same bridge used on Gibson WCR (Wayne Charvel) guitars from that same early 1990s period.
THANKS for sharing the pics.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackButlerGOT View Post
Nice looking guitar..especially considering the age! The headstock shape is that one used for the old N.J. (japanese made series). AWESOME bang for the buck. On early 90s versions of USA made BCR's they also had their own BC Rich stamp version (liscensed) Floyd, very similiar to the same bridge used on Gibson WCR (Wayne Charvel) guitars from that same early 1990s period.
THANKS for sharing the pics.
Thanks! I appreciate it.

I think the "Bang for your buck" factor was increased even more, considering I only paid $100 for it. Even after I was forced to order an Official Floyd, it only comes out to about $270. And I'd pit that up against much more expensive guitars.

Thanks also for the info. I'm learning new stuff about my guitar every time one of you guys post in my thread.

No problem, I'm happy to share pr0n.

Tags
headstock shape , lock nut , locking nut , neck plate , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode