Gassing for Les Paul (advice needed) - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Re: Gassing for Les Paul (advice needed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Hey, cool, no I was actually asking an honest question - Les Pauls seem to sound best, at least to me, with low output pickups - the original concept of the Maple Cap on a thick Mahogany was to have the warmth and body of the Mahogany, but with a bit of extra attack and sparkle from the Maple - the hotter and more middy the pickups you put in the guitar, the further it gets from this original tonal concept - Having played gazillions of Les Pauls when I worked in one of Sydney's top Gibson dealers, I always found the Standards and reissues with the 57s/Burstbuckers just nailed the Les Paul sound (for me in any case), whereas any LP with hotter pickups, including the Classic, just seemed to become progressively more generic sounding, and seemed to loose something of the intrinsic Les Paul tone.

In terms of your basic guitar requirements, I noticed someone has put up a Zakk Wylde Epi for sale in the classifieds - don't they have an unfinished Maple neck and EMG 81/85s?

Cheers,

David
I have never been too into the active pickup thing, but it might be something to look into, I have played EMG equipped guitars before, the most recent being a steve lukather model EBMM.. I liked the pickups in it (HSS.)

If i could get buy the bullseye design I might enjoy it.. I do not dislike the design, i just might get wierd looks if I play it in church :P..
Does anyone own one?

---weren't emg's designed for jazz players originally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

dang.. i just checked that guitar out and it has the passive hz emgs...
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 AM

Here is a pick of my CS les Paul. I just love them. Their is something about a Les Paul that just feels right. (to me anyway)

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
why's that?
Well, I like the look and tone of LP's, but they are very hard to get used to after years of easy playing Ibanez and (gulp) Zachary's. I even wanted an ESP eclipse for awhile, thinking it would be better because of the body contour but the bridge is so high off the body I couldn't get used to it. You might like it if you are one of those really skinny guys who wears their guitar hanging down by their crotch.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:24 PM

Ibanez Artists make a good LP substitute as well. I switched from LP Customs to AR-300s in '80 when I was still out playing regularly.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 PM

I bought this recently, SZ4020ntf

I also have this amzingly well-made and toneful axe that I prefer to an LP dbl cut, LP or Ibanez Artist - '96 USA Hamer Special FM with factory JB/'59 pups.

I see these USA Hamers going for $700-$1000 on the 'Bay. A great deal for what it is considering to have one made from Hamer USA is around $2200 nowadays.

Just my 1 1/2 cents
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Well, I like the look and tone of LP's, but they are very hard to get used to after years of easy playing Ibanez and (gulp) Zachary's. I even wanted an ESP eclipse for awhile, thinking it would be better because of the body contour but the bridge is so high off the body I couldn't get used to it. You might like it if you are one of those really skinny guys who wears their guitar hanging down by their crotch.
i practically nipple ride.. i make it feel like i am sitting down
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 PM

Before I bought my Gibson Les Paul Supreme I thought I was going to need to replace the pickups. I was going to get a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich signatures. However, after playing it I can honestly say the stock Gibson pickups are amazing and don't need replacement. I have Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios in my other high end guitars and I'm very fussy when it comes to tone.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
i practically nipple ride.. i make it feel like i am sitting down
I wear mine high like that too. That is where I was uncomfortable with a LP. Everyone is different. If you can strap one on and still play the same as your other guitars then you might be okay. The high bridge and lack of body contour made it hard for me to enjoy. The Carvin CT-6 has a similar sound and feel, but with a recessed bridge and body contour. Check out one of those before pulling the trigger. I see them on the bay all the time.

look at this: 270162895441
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

nice.. ive looked at carvins b4.. thats a good possibility.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 PM

The Carvins are much nicer with the tung oiled neck option, much nicer.

Tags
custom shop , david mccarroll , doug aldrich , epiphone les paul , equipped guitar , eric johnson , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fretboard radius , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , high output pickups , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul deluxe , les paul studio , les pauls , locking nut , locking tuners , low strings , maple neck , neck pickup , neck position , neck shape , output pickup , prog rock , schaller locking , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , steve lukather , trem guitar , tung oil , wizard prestige , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode