Genesis Collection RG521 vs. RGR652AHBF Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Genesis Collection RG521 vs. RGR652AHBF Prestige

Basically two MIJ fixed bridge RGs in the current catalog

Genesis Collection RG521

RGR652AHBF Prestige

Which would you choose? I think the 521 is a bit cheaper if I'm not mistaken and it's not a prestige so I'm wondering if that makes it inferior and/or superior to the other one. Except for the finish and the tonewoods, I think they're basically the same guitar but perhaps there is a pros/cons thing between the old-school style tilt joint in the 521 and the AANJ in the prestige that I should be aware of? Both have the super wizard HP neck and the gibraltar II standard bridge. I will be using the guitar mostly for death metal so tuning stability and overall durability and reliability are priorities. Pickups aren't an issue at all as they will be changed to an EMG 81/85 set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:02 PM

Re: Genesis Collection RG521 vs. RGR652AHBF Prestige

I'd pick the Genesis as i'm not super into that matte finish on the RGR (though the RGR is more metal, if only the 521 had a reverse headstock option!). I'd rather have the bigger neck joint too.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:08 PM
Vendor

If it's made at Fujigen it's either Prestige or J custom. They're not badged Prestige because it wouldn't fit with the whole reissue theme, even though there never was a 521 30 years ago.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM

Reviews: 21
I'd pick the RG521. But for what you describe, Alex, the RGR652 might be better.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:13 AM

Is there any reason the RGR is 50% more expensive than the 521? Does the 521 have the Prestige fret edges?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:45 AM
Vendor

The 521 is the loss leader of all the fixed just as the 550's are of the trems. The extra gets you Dimarzio's, the Prestige case, and a multi tool which doesn't add up to $400, but it's not supposed to.

All Prestige fret end finishing is a bit lame currently. I just checked in 2 521's and they were a hair lamer than the RGR I just looked at.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 05:21 AM

I see now that the bodies are different. Is Ash an advantage over Basswood? Also the pickups are either V7/V8 or Fusion. Most of the DiMarzios sound quite similar with distorted sounds, although I haven't heard the Fusion.

In the UK it is 400 difference, which is hard to justify, even if the matt finish looks fresh.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The 521 is the loss leader of all the fixed just as the 550's are of the trems. The extra gets you Dimarzio's, the Prestige case, and a multi tool which doesn't add up to $400, but it's not supposed to.

All Prestige fret end finishing is a bit lame currently. I just checked in 2 521's and they were a hair lamer than the RGR I just looked at.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but do you mean that the 521 is currently the best 6-string fixed bridge RG in the current catalog?

Thank you for the advice everyone. Appreciate it. This will help me in my decision. Though the prestige seems to be the more 'metal' looking guitar, it looks like the 521 is the more bang-for-your-buck deal. Planning on using either one for some old school Morbid Angel/Cannibal Corpse/Deicide style death metal and I think a nice quality fixed bridge RG fits the bill.

Last edited by Alex Skolnickolas Cage; 05-19-2018 at 06:30 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Skolnickolas Cage View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong but do you mean that the 521 is currently the best 6-string fixed bridge RG in the current catalog?
Probably a subjective question but I would venture to say no - and I'm not sure if one of those RG521's Rich has is mine.
I'd venture to guess the best fixed RG 6-string in the catalog now is the RG652AHM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:55 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
The 652 has some theoretically meaningful "improvements" including body wood, Prestige fret end treatment (whatever that's worth), AANJ, dimarzios and hard case. A mix of ornamentation too including reverse headstock, non 80s era finish/style and added neck/body bindings.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 12:06 PM

The RGR652AH is, of course, very much like the RG652AHM fixed, just with a more metal look and the Fusion Edge pickups as opposed to the TZ/AN combo on the green burst version. I don't know what to think of the Fusion Edge pickups. They're nice and all but I prefer the TZ/AZ combo. Some people think the Fusion Edge pickups are just rebranded DimarzioIBZs but I don't think so.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:47 PM

I emailed Dimarzio about the Fusion Edge pickups last month and they wouldn’t say much but that they resemble Titans. Hopefully I’ll have some to try out in a week or so when my 8520 arrives.
mike570 likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all your inputs everyone. Appreciate it.

I'm planning to swap the pickups to an EMG 81/85 set as that is the sound that my ears are looking for. With that in mind, I don't think tonewood would really matter which is why I never figured it to be a deciding factor in determining which of these two axes are ideal. I'm even planning to remove the tone knob completely and move the volume knob to where the tone knob is originally as I don't use the tone pot at all and because I'm not a fan of the standard position of volume knobs in RGs (too close to the bridge pickup IMHO).
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Skolnickolas Cage View Post
Thank you for all your inputs everyone. Appreciate it.

I'm planning to swap the pickups to an EMG 81/85 set as that is the sound that my ears are looking for. With that in mind, I don't think tonewood would really matter which is why I never figured it to be a deciding factor in determining which of these two axes are ideal. I'm even planning to remove the tone knob completely and move the volume knob to where the tone knob is originally as I don't use the tone pot at all and because I'm not a fan of the standard position of volume knobs in RGs (too close to the bridge pickup IMHO).
Then maybe the RG521 is the answer. Really the question then is if you want a square heel or not. Having a fixed bridge version of the classic RG with the square heel joint was the big sell for me on that guitar.
IMO the solid black finish on the Genesis seems more metal to me. \m/

Last edited by mike570; 05-19-2018 at 05:13 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice, Mike. Appreciate it. Looks like I have all the information that I need in making a decision.

Now comes the hard part: coming up with the money, haha

I'll probably wait for the holiday promo deal in my local Ibanez dealer and maybe the office bonus will come in by then

Tags
death metal , fixed bridge , genesis collection , ibanez , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode