Which to get?? RG2820TW or RGT3020QM ?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Which to get?? RG2820TW or RGT3020QM ??

Hi guys,
I'm in quite a dilemma right now on which of these axe would make a better choice. For those who haven't seen a RGT3020QM, I've included a link to the Singapore Ibanez page.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/countr...singapore.html

Its basically a neck thru RG, with Paf pros and a quilted maple top. I've tried both the other day, and I felt that the neck on the RGT3020 was slightly thick and I had some problems playing with it. However, I loved the sound of it, it was really massive sounding.
The RG2820 on the other hand, had a nicer clean tone due to the middle switch...better playability but not as warm or chunky as the RGT. And I didn't really like the stock dimarzio/ibz pickups too..
However, price wise, the RGT was double that of the RG2820!
I'm not sure if I should put that much money on the RGT although I love the sound.
Oh yah, call me picky, but I hate the silver hardware on the RGT heh

Any suggestions or comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:33 PM

How does the 2820 compare to the 3020 in terms of wood and construction? I'm thinking the 2820 with a pickup swap might be the way to go. If you don't like the guitar's feel, that's a major barrier to being able to play it to its full potential.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:21 AM

Agree with Darren. You can always fiddle with tone (eq, pups, amp, modellers, strings, pots, effects, etc), but its hard to fiddle with a playability problem (especially on a neckthru).
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 06:28 PM

Ill agree with theo other two guys. swapping the pickups will be much less money than the 3020, as well as get rid of the IBZ's that you dont like. And depending on the pickups you pick, you can solve the problem of the guitar not being warm or chunky enough.

wow, now Ive got a craving for soup.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 01:39 AM

I'm not familiar with the 2820.Is that the bolt on RG model with the vine inlays? The neck thru Ibanez is a really solid guitar that has a certain resonance to it.For me, they require tight pickups to sound right in my ears.Like an evolution or Duncan PATB-1 for example.

Construction and design is super important.Get the guitar that is designed to do what oyu want the most.I like neck thrus but prefer bolt ons. But the RGT has about the best neck profile I have felt.It's meaty but that helps it to sound god.

there isn't a guitar out there with a thin asss neck that is heralded as having great tone.My Blue Floral pattern sounded as thin as any guitar I have ever played and I sold it after 3 weeks.I was very disappointed with the sound of it

If the RGT really sounds good, and it should, and you can adjust to the neck, then go for it.But if it is something that will always be a problem, forget about it because you will want to sell it someday
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Hmm..thanks for the inputs guys..

I suppose I could get used to the fatter neck on the RGT3020..I mean, probably to me, the tone is more important to me than all else..but having said that, I'm just wondering how much could a change in pickups in the RG2820 bolt on do to improve the tone on the guitar? If i were to change the pups, they would probably be changed to air norton/SS or a Paf Pro/Evo combo...how do these pickups sound through a mahagony guitar?

But even if I do finally decide on the RGT, I might also change the bridge pup to an EVO or what not...

Sorry if all this sounds confusing..cos I'm just voicing my thoughts..I'm still having trouble deciding on which guitar ultimately....Probably I would go down to the store and have another go at these two guitars...if they are still there!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 10:14 AM

i just bought a RG2820 and its great. if you want my advice , dont get the RGT, its a waste of money.

get the 2820, killer axe, great looks and tone. you want different pickups? swicth , whats the prob
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 05:13 PM

I dunno... but the quilted top of 3020 looks nice... I prefer 3020 though.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanban
i just bought a RG2820 and its great. if you want my advice , dont get the RGT, its a waste of money.

get the 2820, killer axe, great looks and tone. you want different pickups? swicth , whats the prob
Hmm..what pickups sound good with a mahogany guitar? I know i can switch the pickups out of the 2820 but its quite a hassle, wiring them in again and taking the risk to buy those that would sound great suitable to my ears etc..its a constant gamble..I prefer to plug and play..but I get your pt abt the RGT not being worth the extra few hundreds
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 02:21 PM

Mahogony is a little bit dark so something like a JB sould be really good unless you want less midrange and maybe a tighter low end.

I have the Dimarzio Norton (Not the Air Norton) in the bridge of my 2020x.It is basically the Dimarzio equivalent of the Ducan JB with tighter low end. I definitely like it.

My pickup choices are always about balancing the sound of the instrument. With a neck thru guitar, I try to use a PATB-1 or perhaps a Steve's Special to get rid of some midrange but I don't like the steve's special in bolt ons because it's too scooped and kind of harsh.

For a thin sounding guitar like the Brian Moore's and some of the older Ibanezes, a Tone Zone can be a good choice because it is so bass heavy that it can put a bit of bottom into the guitar sound but in a decent sounding guitar, the tone zone is too bass heavy for me.

Put alot of thought into what you want the guitar to do, what it is made oout of , and what amp/cabs you play through. decide if the pickups need to get rid of some frequencies or add some (like midrange for instance)

Hope that helps
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 04:12 PM

I have a RG2820 and I've put a Tonezone and Air Norton in it. I love the sound of that guitar: the Tonezone gives it a tight and punchy feel while riffing and nice compressed solo's, the Air Norton gives the brilliant clean and smooth soloing.

I don't really like Paf pro's, so if I would buy a RGT3020 I'd probably change the pups to the TZ/AN as well. Even the TZ/Paf pro combo of the RG3120 fits my idea's better than the dual paf pro's...

If you have the oppertunity to test them head to head you'll be certain which one to get after a short while. I tried a RGT3120 the other day (with the blue quilt-top), but it felt a lot like a soloist copy. I'd rather buy a SL-1 than one of the neck-thru Ibanezes, but that's personal I guess
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 07:49 PM

I had the RGT 3120 and I didn't like the paf pros in it. I would get rid of those and put in something tighter and more agressive. Teh paf pro can sound good if oyu like a softer/looser sounding pickup than something like an evolution. It's really about what each person feels they need their sound to be like
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders_destium
I have a RG2820 and I've put a Tonezone and Air Norton in it. I love the sound of that guitar: the Tonezone gives it a tight and punchy feel while riffing and nice compressed solo's, the Air Norton gives the brilliant clean and smooth soloing.

I don't really like Paf pro's, so if I would buy a RGT3020 I'd probably change the pups to the TZ/AN as well. Even the TZ/Paf pro combo of the RG3120 fits my idea's better than the dual paf pro's...

If you have the oppertunity to test them head to head you'll be certain which one to get after a short while. I tried a RGT3120 the other day (with the blue quilt-top), but it felt a lot like a soloist copy. I'd rather buy a SL-1 than one of the neck-thru Ibanezes, but that's personal I guess
I tried out the RGT3020QM extensively last weekend..I think I must say that, I've come to the conclusion that its not really worth that extra money. I'm not sure how much a JEM costs overseas, but the price on the RGT was slightly higher than a JEM7VWH in my local store! With that in mind, I would rather get a JEM for all its worth.
Anyway, I am similar in your thinking that the guitar feels and looks like a Jackson soloist copy..esp with the silver hardware (yucks)
Think I've made up my mind, I'm not getting the RGT..so it looks like I'm left with the RG2820
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:46 PM

Ironically, I just bought my RGT3120TBR today as a replacement for my Jackson Soloist (because I am selling it to a friend). It is too soon to say if it is actually comparing apples to apples, but I am pleased with the Ibanez as a Soloist replacement so far. Keep in mind that the RGT series was developed to compete with the Soloist USA series, so I am not surprised by the commonality between the two. I like the sound of the RGT mahogony over the Soloist alder personally.

I have to agree that the price is a bit steep, but it is in that Jackson USA range.

Chris
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:19 PM

Re: Which to get?? RG2820TW or RGT3020QM ??

Get the RG2820 i'm selling mine ask me for pics

Tags
air norton , brian moore , bridge pup , clean tone , dimarzio norton , jackson soloist , neck thru , paf pro , paf pro combo , paf pros , pro combo , quilted maple , sounding guitar , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode