Get rid of your tone knob and install a kill switch - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Get rid of your tone knob and install a kill switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nDLqw-wAIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:17 PM

Re: Get rid of your tone knob and install a kill switch

This might be a good alternative if you don't know how to use a tone knob.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
This might be a good alternative if you don't know how to use a tone knob.
OK smart ass.......how and when do you ever use your guitars tone knob???Just to note I teach and have been playing for over 35 years kiddo.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:43 AM

kill switches are ok, I prefer the fender TBX pot. If you use your tone pot, it is perfect because at center click the pot disengages from the circuit. It gives you 250k sweep 1-5 and 5-10 1 meg sweep. So best of all scenarios.

I have added kill switches to guitars before and they are useful, but I do use occasionally use the tone pot and would rather have it in place.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5423 View Post
OK smart ass.......how and when do you ever use your guitars tone knob???Just to note I teach and have been playing for over 35 years kiddo.
You are playing 35 years and you never used tone pot??
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Great news smart ass. I installed a kill switch for the tone knob twenty years ago and guess what, I did not use it much either.
Jemerator is online  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Guys, everyone try to play nice, please. K5423 didn't, so he's taking a week off.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:18 AM

I use my tone knob constantly. So do Steve Morse, Scott Henderson and Jeff Beck.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:36 AM

Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton . . .

Sorry K5423, didn't mean to disturb you, but there is so many sound colours that you can get with tone knob, so why not use it?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:35 AM

Tone pot push/pull with kill switch on the up position. I use the Tone control as well but only at 10 and about 5.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:41 AM

I just wanted to point out that it is not the best idea to call someone "smart ass" when he makes a joke and even adds a smiley.
Especially when the idea you come up with is almost as old as the electric guitar itself.
Sorry from me, no offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
Tone pot push/pull with kill switch on the up position. I use the Tone control as well but only at 10 and about 5.
This is good because it does not change the look of the guitar. If you don't want to just turn the guitar off but want to use it for the killer sound effects you could use a dedicated kill pot, e.g. the Shadow SH124-500.

Last edited by Jemerator; 01-09-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Jemerator is online  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:52 PM
dex

Maybe back in the day when amps only had one channel and there were no pedals available a tone knob was a very useful thing but these days with all the channels and stomp boxes and presets...... what do you guys actually use the tone for?
I must admit I only touch the tone to make sure it's on Max, I do use the volume a lot but never had any use for the tone.
Which brings me to my second point. I've never had any use for a kill switch either. Never needed it, never wished I had it and never missed not having it.
So there's some of us who think the tone pot and the kill switch are equally pointless.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
what do you guys actually use the tone for?
That's how I thought until earlier this year. Always kept it on 10 because it didn't seem to change anything until it was on 2-3 and then my guitar sounded like crap.

I picked up a les paul several months back and while I've had and sold LPs in the past this one came with LUXE reproduction Bumble Bee capacitors. So I thought that was cool but didn't hear a difference. Just like before. Then I got some MojoTone pots for vol and tone.

Now there was a difference. On 10 is one sound. On 7ish sounds like a different guitar. On 5 still another guitar. That sweep of "tone" is what it should be about. It's the combo of parts. I took out the bees to sell and what I replaced them with didn't give me the same effect. So, I'm sold. YMMV
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
how and when do you ever use your guitars tone knob?
When playing with clean sounds. Generally for chords I will soften the sound by reducing the high end with the tone knob. On a strat I prefer to have one tone knob for the bridge pickup, and one for the neck/middle.

For some inspiration, feel free to check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XU0YeQ0ADA (brilliant accent, bonus!)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 AM
dex

For inspiration you link to a video of a guy talking about it?
How about a video of people actually using the tone?

https://youtu.be/CChQUNmi7cg?t=54

This is probably my favorite guitar player and he is somewhat famous for rolling off the tone to get his "woman tone" and yet only 20 sec after he rolls off the tone he turns it back to 10 and hey presto, a much better sound comes out of that amp.
To me rolling off the tone sounds like putting a blanket over my speakers. The best frequencies get cut and you get a muddled muffled tone.

Last edited by dex; 01-10-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling, can't spell. :)

Tags
kill switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode