Getting my feet wet... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
MFB

Getting my feet wet...

So lately I've been gasing for a 7 string, and it seems there's 2 people in this world who know 7's :

Schecter
Ibanez

So far the only real downside to the Schecter's seem to be their necks, and I know from first hand experience as I've owned an Omen 6. Now, I've played a Hellraiser and a C1 and the necks, while painted, were still pretty thin; compared to what I had owned/player previously. Now, that's on a standard 6 string mind you, so of course this would be a bit different when taking into account the extra string.

Now for Ibanez.

So far, there's two types of 7's that I could get. One would be the S7320 and the other would be an RG7---. Now, the S7320 isn't bad by any means but it doesn't wow me in anyways, and neither do the RG's. The color scheme as well is very, very boring. They're all gloss black. The very last color I would now pick for a guitar. I mean, I could get an RG7--- for cheap, repaint, add a new bridge, new pups but thats a hell of a lot of work; more than I care to do anyway. Or pay for for that matter.

I looked into some other things as well like the ESP Viper 407, which is just a Viper 400 with an extra string. I'll be playing one of these this weekend hopefully to test it out and it may be the right thing for me. This will also be the first ESP I play. Following the 407, I was also considering an M-207 and just changing the bridge from an OFR to maybe an Edge Pro if compatible (I think they are).

Anyone care to shed light on a possible 7 stringers finds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:13 AM

Re: Getting my feet wet...

ok an m-207 doesn't have an OFR. it has a random licensed trem that i highly doubt will swap for an edge pro directly. I personally would go for a schecter 7 string at this price range and and an ibanez at a much higher price range.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
MFB

Right now I'd either get a Damien 7 or find a used Blackjack
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 AM

good thing about blackjack's are they have grovers, duncans and a tone pros bridge. the damien doesn't have the duncan's but it does have those sick bat inlays.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
MFB

And a Satin finish which I much prefer over the Gloss

Plus, the Damian has EMG Hz's (if remembering right, it's really late) which I can always swap out for something better or keep em if I like em
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:59 AM

I would say from my experiance with 7's Schecter is better then ibanez in gereral 7's

I dont know to much about it but yeah thats my 2 cents
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:20 AM

I wouldn't let the gloss vs satin thing put you off, I'd have no issues recommending a complete beginner to sand off a gloss finish from a neck, its very easy, quick and painless.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

2 years ago I bought a rg prestige 1527.
I lowered its action till almost 0,no buzzes at all !
Till today ,after so many bends and so many strings changes not a single problem !
That's the first guitar I have wich I don't have to worry about it and I had all the major labels .It's always in tune,ready to play.I thought paying more for a prestige was a dumb thing to do BUT I saw how good they are.Its neck is so comfortable that I like playing it more than my 6 strings(esp M2 de luxe).
They're very expensive here,about 2000 usd but it worths every dollar.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM

I think that you should consider if what you really want a tremolo or a non-tremolo guitar. For tremolo, you can't go wrong with a 1527 (I love mine and the neck is really great). Now for non-tremolo Schecter has a wider selection and the specs are absolutely great. I really like the Blackjack ATX.
Now as far as the neck is concerned, I think that it's a matter of personal taste. I'm told that the Loomis model neck has the thinner neck in the Schecter 7 string line.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
MFB

Before I used to really hate tremolos, and I'm still not 100% sure of them on any other guitar, but since this will be a 7 and just stay in standard E, it's no big deal if it has one

I'm considering the Loomis model if I can find one cheaper (maybe $700) but I'm trying to stay around $500 max just because I have my new S470 to still use in Eb, and my Kramer in D standard so I want equal distribution of play time for all versus having one high end and getting all the play time
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 PM

You can always spray some Tone Finger Ease on the back of painted necks once in a while (not every time you play lol) and that really helps your hand glide over the paint. I personally like painted for some styles and unfinished for others. Obviously for playing really fast, unfinished necks are second to none. But for everything else, painted is awesome.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 03:04 AM

Reviews: 1

You forgot one of the more popular 7-Strings on this site... the Ibanez Universe.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
MFB

Wayyyy out of my price range which is why I didn't mention it

Plus, I'm not big on it's looks
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
MFB

Turns out that Ibanez really wowed me today with their 7321

The one I played was made in Indonesia however, how's that quality in relation to Korean?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Got myself a Blackjack ATX a few Month ago and I'm afraid but it beats my RG7 almost any point.
The only Ibanez that can catch up with my Blackjack ATX so far is the UV777 (unfortunately I haven't played any older UVs and RG7 yet, might change my opinion though), which is hands down horribly overpriced.

What sucked the first weeks with the Schecter was the distance between the strings and the length of the neck itself. Ibanez'es tend to have shorter and slimmer necks.
Well it's only a matter of time 'til you get used to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode