getting a new 7string..opinions between RG1077XL vs RG2127 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

getting a new 7string..opinions between RG1077XL vs RG2127

Hi
I need honest opinions on the following two guitars becos I am still in quite a dilema. Basically, I have never tried either of these guitars as they are not available right now in the local store. I have plans to get it frm ishibashi . I have heard good things abt the XL scale but I am thinking that the RG2127 is more value for money becos of the Piezo. However, I am just concerned abt the low b on it being less defined and not as clear as that on the XL scale. What do u guys who own them think? Let me know thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 01:54 PM

I definitely like the 2127X better, I like the feel of the standard 25.5" scale neck plus the 2127 is mohagany (which is my personal favorite) and you cant beat the piezos. Not only that but the double edge series just feel so good (probably because of that ultra neck) that I would buy them even it didnt have the piezos. I just bought a 2027X from ishibashi yesterday, I was pretty lucky too because Koichi at ishbashi contacted ibanez about the 2027X and it turns out that ibanez has stopped making the 2027 entirely and ishibashi only had one left. Throughout my correspondance with Koichi (the international sales associate) he was able to obtain pictures of both the 2027 and 2127X. I still have the front shot of the 2127X, I will email it to you (just in case Koichi cant get you a shot of the one you would be buying, this is the ONE that they have in stock right now). Ibanez is still making them but after the one is gone Koichi will have to order you one from the ibanez distributor which could take a couple weeks) so you might want to act fast. I have to say that I like the VV finish on 2027X better but the 2127's trans black is a lot nicer and more unique than the standard metallic blue or whatever is on the 1077XL.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 01:56 PM

Oh ****...

This is exactly the choice I wish I never have to make. I've never encountered a 2127, but I want one BADLY... great finish, and really classic/mature looking. I have the 1077, and I'd recommend that in an instant, but I'm partial to the 2127 also... I think the 2 band EQ is quite useful, and set right, the low B wouldn't be that floppy... I think the floppiness REALLY shows when you down tune. With standard tuning, I think it's not too bad...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 02:36 PM

Edited 92 times!?!

Also note the pickups in the two are different. Haven't gotten any word from anyone on how different though. The 1077XL pickups are like the 7620 though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 04:43 PM

You saw that twohands, something strange happened, I went back to edit something and for some reason when I clicked submit I didn't get a response from the jemsite server, it wouldnt submit. I closed netscape and then reopened it to find out all those times I clicked on submit (which didnt do anything registered as edits!!, thats crazy thats still surprising that I clicked on it 92 times, geez). Hey spiral acid I am pretty sure the 2127X doesnt have the 2-band EQ the 21 designation is just a finish difference (they may upgrade it in the future but its not available yet), also I dont know if anyone knows this but TKF finish is not a high gloss finish, its still very cool but its more like the matte finish on the JPM100P4 but a little more textured (because of the mohagany).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Hey Soloist,

Would u mind sending me a pic of the 2127 that you've got with the trans black finish? I only seen it at the ibanez website and I think it doesnt do it justice. My email's [email protected]

Hmm..and I think what Spiral means is the 2 band piezo EQ on the 2127. I believe its the same as the one on the 2120X that I currently have now. In fact, I am trying to sell off this 2120 that I got recently becos I realised that I need a 7 for a change...if any of you guys are interested pls drop me an email too..it is abt 2mths old...thanks a lot again
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 12:07 PM

The 2027 is a fabulous guitar (or 2127). The piezo is very handy to have at your disposal. You never really will grasp its impact until you have a guitar with it included. It really opens up a whole new element in your playing and writing. I would recommend this guitar over the XL unless you simply have no intention of ever using a piezo output. They play wonderfully as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 02:00 PM

I don't own an extended scale 7 string so can't exactly comment on the RG1077XL. I do own four standard scale 7's though (Ibanez RG2027, RG7CT, and two Carvin 7s). I string them all with 10 - 56's and tune in standard BEADGBE. I like the feel of these guitars and don't believe the low B to be too floppy or undefined.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 05:54 PM

I agree with rlintz, I have never found the low-B to be too floppy on my normal 25.5" scale 7. I even use a .052 for the B, which most people consider quite thin, and I find that the string has a more compressed "controlled" sound (I changed it from a .056 or .054 I dont remember), it seems tighter and also since my B string is so thin it is quite easy to bend and is very manuverable I find it more comfortable and it is easier to get artificial harmonics when needed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Hmm...I tried the 1077XL just recently but I could not get my hands on a RG2027 yet. I realised that the 1077 sounds definitely brighter and it never goes flabby. But man, it is so much harder to play thanks to the extended scale and larger neck and increased tension. I have to admit tho, it sounds good. I also tried the UV777. The low b is flabby but of cos the UV really really looks stunning. Playability wise, it is also much easier due to the regular scale necks. Think I'm getting more confused after trying out these two 7stringers hah! Looks like I have to try the 2027 and make a final decision. I bet it would feel just like the 6 string 2120 I have now and I would probably need to change the pickups to ev07 and air norton 7s. Do you think I should get it as I luckily saw one at a local store going for 1KUS there abouts ? Although it's new, its probably been played over n over again at the store. Think I should go for it?

Tags
air norton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez s320 opinions?
opinions on duncan JB?
opinions on duncan JB?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode