GFS Pawlonia Telecaster Build - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

GFS Pawlonia Telecaster Build

Since I've been on Jemsite a bunch lately, I wanted to post some pictures and details of my new build. It's a little bit of a long read. However, if you like build threads or thought about bolting a telecaster together you might find it interesting.

This build was based off of a GFS (Guitar Fetish) Pawlonia Telecaster Body. I got the idea from reading some of the build posts at TDPRI (the telecaster forum). The folks over there talk about how the wood is light and resonant. So for $50 I thought I'd give it a try. In addition, I wanted an economical project to work on with my 6 year old. It was kind of a way to break him into my passion.

The price list for building the guitar broke down as follows. The body was $65 including shipping; I had set of Fender 60's re-issue pickups; the pickguard and control plate set me back $18; I had the pots and knobs left over from another project; the neck (Allparts MIJ maple neck with a rosewood fretboard) was a bay purchase that included the sperzel tuners (i almost forgot how much I really like these USA made tuners) $160; I bought a new neck plate, neck screws, and an electrosocket jack plate for $24; and finally I added a set of wilkerson swiveling saddles to a fender bridge plate for $38. I also have a set of planet waves strap pegs on order, which were $7.5 shipped. So I figure all said and done taking into account the value of the parts I had that the guitar could be built for around $375.

Now came bolting it all together. It went together, but took some time to line everything up. I'll say a little more about this later. I used a 3-way switch to wire it up - Neck, both in series, and bridge.

Then it was time to set it up. I checked the nut height and filed the slots very slightly. On my telecasters I set the string height at the 12th fret (capoing the 1st fret) at just shy of 3/16 of an inch. Frets were checked with a stew-mac fret rocker and they checked out ok. I used 9-42 d'addario's (same as my ibanez guitars). Set the intonation using the swivel saddles and was ready to test it out.

It plays great and weighs 5 lbs on the nose. The bodies so light that it's every so slightly headstock heavy. I'm kind of torn on pawlonia for a body and would not recommend GFS for an easy build. I have built a number of warmoths and Ibanez parts guitars. All of these have lined up. This was not the case with the GFS body. The holes generally lined up, but needed some help with the drill to get everything the way I wanted it. I had to drill the string holes and work the body to neck holes to get the body to line up with a standard fender neck bolt pattern. In addition, I needed to shim the neck pocket because it didn't have the correct neck angle. I didn't want to sand my neck heel or the pocket because I felt the neck would sit too deep in the pocket. Another pro or con, depending on how you look at it is how soft the wood is. I did not have to pre-drill any of the holes in the body. I just used a punch to center the hole and put the screws in from there. That made it quick. However, I could feel the neck pocket compress when the neck was fully tightened. The other thing about the body is that the finish is good from far, but far from good. There are imperfections in the body sanding that can be seen when you examine the guitar up close. I know you get what you pay for. In the end I can port over all of the parts to a better body when the urge hits, but for now I can enjoy a Monaco yellow telecaster for a fraction of the price.

[

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: GFS Pawlonia Telecaster Build

You're not helping my Tele G.A.S.!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 PM

You must really hate telecasters.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
You're not helping my Tele G.A.S.!
Sorry. I've been on a bit of a tele kick lately. Something about the simplisity .
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 AM

Nice one , I love Teles.
I used Tulip-wood on a recent build and swore I'd never use it again because of how incredibly soft it is.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 AM

I have never bought a GFS body only ( although I do have one of their Xavier thinline teles) and wondered about how they would work with a build. I'm pretty used to doing builds where things don't line up : ) Its usually more work than you project.

How did the neck pocket width work? My GFS tele has a wider neck and pocket than a standerad tele or strat,, also more of a square pocket rather than a rounded bottom one that fits the round butt of a fender type neck..

Good looking axe though! I love teles also and have built a few of my own. If I someday decide to use a GFS body I will probably go with Alder based on what you said about the softness of the wood. Great thread, I love starting the day with a build thread!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I have never bought a GFS body only ( although I do have one of their Xavier thinline teles) and wondered about how they would work with a build. I'm pretty used to doing builds where things don't line up : ) Its usually more work than you project.

How did the neck pocket width work? My GFS tele has a wider neck and pocket than a standerad tele or strat,, also more of a square pocket rather than a rounded bottom one that fits the round butt of a fender type neck..

Good looking axe though! I love teles also and have built a few of my own. If I someday decide to use a GFS body I will probably go with Alder based on what you said about the softness of the wood. Great thread, I love starting the day with a build thread!
The neck pocket was good. I originally thought this is were I would have issues. It would have been better if they had not drilled any neck bolt holes in the body or the string through holes. It was like the body shifted in the automated drill press. I then needed to make sure I could get the new holes and pre drilled ones kind of lined up.

My plan is to eventually make a body myself. I'm just not there yet.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 12:56 PM

Whoa someone likes Tele's a little bit eh? Nice build... pretty soon you'll be carving out your own bodies and necks man... That's how it works. It starts out just swapping pickups and electronics, then bolting mismatched necks and bodies together, next thing you know you have a garage full of tools and a face full of saw dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Nice one , I love Teles.
I used Tulip-wood on a recent build and swore I'd never use it again because of how incredibly soft it is.
I have a stained/ tung oil finished Tulip Wood (Poplar in the US) 540P hardtail body matched up with a MIJ Wizard II that oozes tone. The neck pocket seems pretty solid, but the edges are a bit soft and prone to dings...

It's great for tone and sustain though
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Reviews: 1

Nice job ! ! !
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM

I didn't know Tulip and Poplar were the same thing! Got a poplar Fireman,, mine doesn't seem much different than basswood.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I didn't know Tulip and Poplar were the same thing! Got a poplar Fireman,, mine doesn't seem much different than basswood.
Yeah Poplar is almost identical to Alder in tone characteristics, just a little bit softer hardwood...

It gets a bad rap because it's cheap and you can buy it at home depot, but it's the perfect wood for practicing building bodies with. If you have any success and one comes out good you should have a great sounding body for cheap compared to some other "tone" woods or practicing with scrap plywood...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Congrats, great combination of colours.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Yeah Poplar is almost identical to Alder in tone characteristics, just a little bit softer hardwood...

It gets a bad rap because it's cheap and you can buy it at home depot, but it's the perfect wood for practicing building bodies with. If you have any success and one comes out good you should have a great sounding body for cheap compared to some other "tone" woods or practicing with scrap plywood...

i have a poplar jem copy and really dig it. It is a little soft but to me also a little lighter than most alder. It does sound similar to alder though.

As a side note steve morse's signature music man is made from poplar.

Also poplar is economical and highly sustainable with a quick growth/harvest time. Palowina is also extremly sustainable with very fast maturity/harvest time. The palowina tree is also really beautiful and the flowers smell great.

Back to topic though...lol

I would like to try one of their palowina strat bodies with a warmoth neck.

Tags
telecaster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode