Gibraltar Plus Vs Low Edge Pro - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Gibraltar Plus Vs Low Edge Pro

I was wondering everyone's opinion on the differences/advantages/disadvantages on these two bridges. I'm having a few second thoughts of the (slightly used) RG2550E that i bought about a week ago. The action needs too be adjusted too high to eliminate buzzes on the 6th string, and that means i can't shred or sweep very comfortably. My main question is... Which bridge do you think can have the lowest action without any buzz? I'm looking at the RGA121... help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:00 PM

Re: Gibraltar Plus Vs Low Edge Pro

Eh, how can you compare them? They're both completely different, one is fixed, the other is floating. You could setup a guitar with a gibraltar plus however you wanted just as you could with an edge pro, many other factors come into play when you're talking about getting rid of fret buzz such as the frets themselves and neck bow etc.

I have an RGA121 and a Jem7V and both bridges in question are very good however.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

ok.. better phrase...

CONTRAST the more subtle differences! OBVIOUSLY, one is fixed and the other is floating. I know that the Gibraltar is a new bridge for the prestiges, but what i don't know is what is so special about it? i know that floating bridges go outta tune easier than fixed, but i also know that dive bombing is really cool, but i don't like the pitches sharping and flating when i do a heave palm mute.... i think i really need to go back to the shop and mess around with the RG121 to see how low the action can get without the buzz, in comparison with my 2550E

What im really asking is advice from people with more experience of these items. Like what kinda features does this Gibraltar have?

My focus on guitar playing is music like Chuck Schuldiner's various lineups (like Death... im a HUGE metalhead), Joe Satriani, Jason Becker, Nobuo Uematsu, Danny Elfman, flamenco, jazz and classical. ... if that helps any of your perceptions....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:54 AM

Uematsu is the keyboardist.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

...and keyboard music cannot be playable on guitar?

o_O
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:01 AM

About the bridge going sharp when you have a heavy palm on the floating bridge -
Have a look at Hipshot tremsetters by Fender. Vai uses them to keep his guitar's staying in tune. Basic concept is you take away the middle spring of the guitar's trem and put in a new one that i guess sets a point where it automatically goes back to no matter what.

Very good gadget which i sort of need on most of my locking guitars
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:04 AM

Reviews: 6

They both can be adjusted TOO low because they both have recessed bridges. So from an action standpoint as long as the neck and frets are in order, either one can have micro action if that's what you're looking for. The RGA's carved top is more comfortable to me and I prefer the satin finish over a the 2550's. I already have 7 or so Floyded guitars the RGA was for me.

Tags
chuck schuldiner , floating bridges , fret buzz , guitar playing , hipshot tremsetter , jason becker , joe satriani , neck bow , palm mute

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode