Gibson '67 RI Flying V GAS, help needed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Cool Gibson '67 RI Flying V GAS, help needed

Hi,

I've almost always played Ibanez Wizard, Wizard II and superwizard based necks. The Ibanez I liked the least was a JS1000 because it's fretboard radius was too small (250mm) resulting in a "too round" fretboard for me. It is like my hand is baked for a flat fretboard like on most RG-type guitars (400-430mm radius).

Now, I have 3 basswood tremolo RG/Jem ibanezes, I would like to change one for a mahogany fixed bridge axe. I always found the Flying V was a killer design so I found a decent mid 90ies (heard current seem to be lower quality, built, finish...) '67 RI used one for a decent price.

Problem : I have a very hard time to find detailed neck specs of this flying V. especially the fretboard radius and shape of the neck. they don't even mention anything about the radius on their site (the '67 RI is still procuded)

I like my RGR superwizard the most, it's more D shaped (I think) but really thin. my JEM7DBK has the same neck (unique amongst the JEM serie).

Could Flying V players tell me how they compare to Ibanez necks or give me some info about the fretboard's radius etc... detail picks that show how the radius and neck-shape are would be really cool.

I know I just will have to test it for myself, but it's a long drive, I just wanna make sure I'm not going to meet a tiny radius fender-like neck

So, I'm a total Gibson nubi, heeeelp Thx !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Re: Gibson '67 RI Flying V GAS, help needed

sorry I can't be more specific but all I can say was that I had a flying V and got rid of it because I never got along with the neck. It just seemed like a completely different animal from any of the Ibanez necks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 08:51 PM

If you want an Ibanez neck, buy an Ibanez. Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanez, Jackson, etc. are completely different from each other. Gibson usually uses a 12"(305mm) radius, and the V's neck is pretty chunky.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 10:07 PM

Try to find a V90. They are the most bad assed Vs ever, 24 fret Ibanez-ish neck, some even had floating trems. The only problem is they only made them for 2 years and one year only had a singe humbucker.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

Thanks for your opinions. In the meanwhile I went to get it. Couldn't resist. I'll post some pictures later.

TimS : About the neck, it is rather chunkcy indeed, but has more or less the shape of a Wizard II neck to me. Just a bit beafier like you say. A fender neck is far less RG-neck like for instance, so this neck is pretty compatible for me. The fretboard is rather flat as well. I have 3 Ibanez RG's, and the difference between my RG570's Wizard II neck and RGR570/JEM7DBK's Superwizard neck is as big as this Flying V's differnce in neck is. My former JS1000 was even beyond comparison. That was a really different neck to say so, close to a strat neck.

elcid: Yeah, I've heard of these V90's flat 24-fret necks, never seen one though. Sounds more like some kind of mythic Flying V

It's just fun to have a fixed bridge for once. Trying alternate tunings is a breeze compared to my edges. And the looks of a flying V... it's just a f*cking rocking stageaxe that speaks for itselve I'll prob be selling my RG570, keep my JEM and my RGR (because I dig reverse headstocks and sharkthoots and bound necks )
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:07 PM

They are rare man, Ive only seen 3 in my life, mine, a friend in High School had one, and back in 89-90 I saw one at Guitar Center.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , fixed bridge , floating trems , fret neck , fret necks , fretboard radius , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode