Gibson Ace Frehley Budokan - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Gibson Ace Frehley Budokan

Anyone have one of these? I'm considering buying one, just the 2K model, not sure what the reviews are on them. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 PM

Re: Gibson Ace Frehley Budokan

its not an ebony board..... but i played one and it felt pretty good....

also please check the wiring schematics... if i remember correctly it has 3 pups but only 2 work.....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
its not an ebony board..... but i played one and it felt pretty good....

also please check the wiring schematics... if i remember correctly it has 3 pups but only 2 work.....
Yeah, that's how Ace has his wired up. I had a chat with him about it here: http://iheartguitarblog.com/2012/02/acefrehley.html
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 PM

the only problem with the pick up issue... is that if you mess with the wiring you void the lifetime warranty....

i was close to pulling the trigger on this until I found that part out.... i want all my pups wired up especially if they are Dimarzio's in all 3 positions...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
the only problem with the pick up issue... is that if you mess with the wiring you void the lifetime warranty....

i was close to pulling the trigger on this until I found that part out.... i want all my pups wired up especially if they are Dimarzio's in all 3 positions...
I talked to a guy who played one.. hated it. truthfully I would buy a Greco copy before the Gibby. they have a Frampton model with 3 humbuckers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 AM

I honestly cannot see the logic in Ace making a perfectly good Les Paul look terrible by adding a third humbucker then not even having it wired in...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 AM

i like the third pup idea, and i could probably get used to it, but if its not wired up, what is the point..... oh yeah and for the price tag real ebony should be on the fret board....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

The lower end model, the one I'm looking at, has all three pups wired. This is from Gibson's website;

To maximize the sonic versatility of the traditional three-way toggle switch and four-knob control section, the guitar is wired to select the neck pickup alone in the switch’s upper position, both middle and bridge pickups in the middle position (sharing the lower volume and tone controls), and bridge pickup alone in the lower position.

The higher end 'aged' versions have only the bridge pickup wired.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode