Gibson Explorer 7! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 18
Smile Gibson Explorer 7!

Did any of you guys see this yet? I came across it while in school yesterday. If I had the cash I'd probably get it, I have always wanted an Explorer. Guitar Center is letting you pre-order it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-E...45-i1476599.gc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Re: Gibson Explorer 7!

Huh, interesting. Non-Epiphone 7 strings, stock EMGs, Les Pauls with floating Floyds, why do all of these things seem a little odd to me coming from Gibson?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:06 PM

a little too much expensive, but attractive !
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent540 View Post
a little too much expensive, but attractive !
I don't personally own any 7-stringers - but I don't think I'd ever buy one in a 24 3/4" scale length. The strings would feel like rubber bands I think. Unless you strung it with some insanely heavy strings.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 2

For that price, you can get 3 7-string Agiles (w/ better specs IMO). No thanks Gibson.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 PM

3 made guitars by children at slave wages in unenvironmental friendly factories, or one made where people are treated like humans. One guitar is all that is really needed. No thanks on Agile.

I saw the Gibson one last week, not my thing, but it's worth checking out.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM

Reviews: 7

If the price wasn't insane, and the scale length was longer, I would totally be on it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Reviews: 18

Looks lame and black.

Jimmy
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
3 made guitars by children at slave wages in unenvironmental friendly factories, or one made where people are treated like humans. One guitar is all that is really needed. No thanks on Agile.
I bet you don't care about that when you buy your shoes, coffee, chocolate, bananas, soccerballs, cotton products, etc, all of which are 1000X bigger businesses than guitar making. It's just one extra drop in the big bucket of capitalism.

Is it just me or does that fretboard look completely flat like a classical? I know it isn't (probably) but it looks really flat.

And even though it looks really cool tbh , and the specs are pretty good(despite really un-Gibsonish. 7-string EMGs? LOL), I would never get it, even if money was not an issue. Too many reviews of even high end Gibsons falling apart to make me fall for their cheap ' made in USA' cost cutting productions. Not trying to bash them or anything, but guys who buy Gibsons nowadays are mainly dudes who have no idea about quality gear and just want the name brand as well as rich guys who just hang them on their walls so they look like they are good at guitar or something. My 2 cents.

And guys, the short scale is Gibson's thing, of course they'll use it. Nothing wrong with thicker strings, all that means is less stretch for the fingers and thicker tone.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Muffin View Post
I bet you don't care about that when you buy your shoes, coffee, chocolate, bananas, soccerballs, cotton products, etc, all of which are 1000X bigger businesses than guitar making. It's just one extra drop in the big bucket of capitalism.

As a matter of fact I do, but thanks for playing. Country of origin and treatment of workers plays into every financial decision I make.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
Huh, interesting. Non-Epiphone 7 strings, stock EMGs, Les Pauls with floating Floyds, why do all of these things seem a little odd to me coming from Gibson?
Hallellujah, brother!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post

I saw the Gibson one last week, not my thing, but it's worth checking out.
Not trying to argue or start conflict. But, Agile guitars are made in the same Korean factory (Saein?) that Epiphone guitars were made up until 2002.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 PM

Awesome,
Korea still doesn't have the same environmental standards as USA, Japan, Europe, and other developed countries, nor are the employees paid anywhere near a fair rate.

Agiles aren't cheap because the company is run by nice guys, it's because people get screwed and corners are cut.

But your right, that isn;t the point of the thread
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Nah it's cool. I was just making the comparison that Gibson has relied on "sketchy" facilities to cut down on overhead cost. I don't personally own an Agile, but for the price as compared to the Gibson, you're getting something pretty close: mahogany, EMG's, etc, etc. I'd personally by an RG 1527 or the S7320 over those guitars anyday.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 PM

I'd be interested at 25 1/2", because I love Gibson Explorers, but I've had a 24 3/4" 7 and I personally found the low B a bit floppy at that length. They should have adjusted the scale length on this one in my opinion, and not stuck with the stock Explorer scale.

Tags
7 string , emg , explorer , gibson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode