Gibson flying V - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Gibson flying V

I'm having a lot of GAS lately for this guitar... I think it's very nice looking, and it sounds great...

please share you preferences about it and maybe post some pics while your at it
Just to ease the pain

Thanks!

~Joe

Edit: especially this one:

Last edited by JoeJoe; 10-28-2006 at 05:38 PM. Reason: to add the pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:04 PM

Re: Gibson flying V

Not my favourite of guitars i have to say but none the less they are very cool i would also like to see someone playing one of these sat down
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Hehehe, well i've heard they're not that bad to play sitting down...
Still waiting to hear from someone who has a one.

The one you posted also looks very cool Thanks!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:30 PM

I've had a few Gibson Vs, never a 67 RI though

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Cool! That looks very nice

How do they play sitting down? and how's the balance?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:43 PM

The one in the pic is a little different, it if you look by the pickguard you can see it has a piece that folds out so you can almost hold it like a regular strat style guitar, I never really used that though, I just put the my leg in between the points and held it like that, never had any issues doing it that way.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply

I really need to start saving up then
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:39 PM

Damn Elcid, that is cool! A 24 fret Gibson V, I've never seen one or heard of it.

Joejoe, have you played one yet or you just digging the looks? My neighbor was selling his house this Summer and wanted to put all his gear in my basement until the house sold. I had a bunch of guitars and amps to mess around with for over a month. One was a Gibson Faded V. I've always thought Vs looked cool and this was a great way to try one without buying - in my house with my gear, with no salesman hounding me, and no return shipping if I didn't like it. Perfect! I ended up really liking it and am considering getting one or making him an offer on his. If you're thinking about a Gibson V, definitely look at the Faded. It's mahogany, has the same pickups, etc., as the 67 RI, just doesn't have all the paint or finish or whatever. It's nice! And you can play it sitting down, you just have to do the classical position. I play standing 99% of the time now, and it was very comfortable standing, so that isn't an issue for me.

Edit - I was just going to let you know that "someone" is blowing them out for $486! But I noticed you are in the Netherlands so they might not ship over there. PM me if you want to know who is selling them for that price, it's a steal!

Last edited by jwoods986; 10-30-2006 at 05:45 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoods986 View Post
Damn Elcid, that is cool! A 24 fret Gibson V, I've never seen one or heard of it.
It gets even cooler, they only made that guitar for 1 year, its a V-90, the second year they made it it had a single coil in the neck. In addition to 24 frets some had floyd roses on them and the neck is very Wizard-ish.

Last edited by elcid; 10-30-2006 at 07:26 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:24 PM

Are you sure you don't want a Dean? They are really nice.....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:42 AM

Nice!

Regards

Andrť

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:13 AM

For some reason, although Vs and Explorers are more awkward in terms of sitting comfort, they're more pleasant in terms of the neck and they appreciate you banging power chords into them more than Les Pauls and SGs. Seems to fit in with how I imagined they'd play before I actually got the chance.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoods986 View Post

Joejoe, have you played one yet or you just digging the looks? My neighbor was selling his house this Summer and wanted to put all his gear in my basement until the house sold. I had a bunch of guitars and amps to mess around with for over a month. One was a Gibson Faded V. I've always thought Vs looked cool and this was a great way to try one without buying - in my house with my gear, with no salesman hounding me, and no return shipping if I didn't like it. Perfect! I ended up really liking it and am considering getting one or making him an offer on his. If you're thinking about a Gibson V, definitely look at the Faded. It's mahogany, has the same pickups, etc., as the 67 RI, just doesn't have all the paint or finish or whatever. It's nice! And you can play it sitting down, you just have to do the classical position. I play standing 99% of the time now, and it was very comfortable standing, so that isn't an issue for me.

Edit - I was just going to let you know that "someone" is blowing them out for $486! But I noticed you are in the Netherlands so they might not ship over there. PM me if you want to know who is selling them for that price, it's a steal!

Cool! thanks for the reply! I remember tyring one a long time ago, but i wasn't really interested then, so i did't pay that much attention... My guitar teacher just bought one and brought it to a gig, and it sounded REALLY good (or as he said: like a chainsaw with a V12 in it) Plus, i really like the looks of 'em.

I was thinking of getting a faded, since they're not too expensive, and i heard good things about them...

You have pm
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
Are you sure you don't want a Dean? They are really nice.....
Yes i'm positive, i've tried some Deans and they're cool guitars, but not for me...

Tags
floyd rose , les paul , les pauls , strat style , strat style guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode