Gibson Les Paul - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Gibson Les Paul

Hello there, how are we all on this fine sunny day? Still recovering from the Monsters of Rock weekend, got a bit sunburnt, but was well worth it!

Anyway, after seeing one of Alice Cooper's guitarists using a white Gibson Les Paul, I want one.

But the only one I can see they make, is the Les Paul Supreme, which has a price tag of a hefty £2,500 or so!

Would it be wrong and naughty to just get a standard and get it refinished in white? Maybe a second hand beaten up one or just the cheapest standard with a horrible finish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:15 AM

Re: Gibson Les Paul

I know a guy who got a Gibson Les Paul for 1200 Canadian. Yes that was new. Why would a paint job matter when its the sound you're after? I admit that paintjobs can be fun but not at the risk of messing something up. That said, buy one for maybe £700, take all the hardware off as well as the neck, sand it then paint away.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 AM

you can get the Studio, Supreme and Custom in white as far as i know.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I had mentioned the supreme but it is very expensive, as is the custom. The studio would be taking a step back, I already own a Classic, which is a Standard but with high output pickups.

I would be getting the paint job done professionally. Yes I am aware that it is sound that comes first, but when I've already got loads of great sounding guitars, its nice to get another and have it look how I want it to.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Gex

White LP Customs are sweet. . .I really want one.

But. . .for a different reason.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Reviews: 4

I want a white LP with gold hardware and a black pickguard. But i think LP's are overpriced (i can never afford one so i say that to make myself believe that its ok to live without them)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981
Hello there, how are we all on this fine sunny day? Still recovering from the Monsters of Rock weekend, got a bit sunburnt, but was well worth it!

Anyway, after seeing one of Alice Cooper's guitarists using a white Gibson Les Paul, I want one.

But the only one I can see they make, is the Les Paul Supreme, which has a price tag of a hefty 2,500 or so!

Would it be wrong and naughty to just get a standard and get it refinished in white? Maybe a second hand beaten up one or just the cheapest standard with a horrible finish?
Why not just get an Epiphone ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:49 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
Why not just get an Epiphone ?
The studio is a step back for him. So i dont think an Epi would do
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM

Thought you guys might like this.... it was one of my first Les Paul's (1974)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...5/DSCF0037.jpg
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.WizardNeck
That said, buy one for maybe 700, take all the hardware off as well as the neck, sand it then paint away.
You cannot remove the neck from a Les Paul.
The other thing is that they generally have a lot of binding (even more on an LP Custom)so sanding and re-painting isn't really an option.

You can get a nice used Alpine White LP Studio that still looks the business for around 500 on e bay.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

How much better is a standard really compared to a studio? I love my classic, which is a standard really, fitted with high output pickups.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 08:54 AM

Not much difference - it's mainly cosmetics. The studio has no body binding and a solid colour so less "pretty" woods are used, but the studios do have gold hardware. It's still mahogany with a maple cap though and full USA pickups/pots etc.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 AM

It's making me want one now

*drool*

Tags
black pickguard , gibson les paul , high output pickups , les paul , output pickup , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode