Gibson Les Paul 'Black Beauty' Mod Custom 1980 - modded with Floyd Rose - E.M.G 81/85 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Question Gibson Les Paul 'Black Beauty' Mod Custom 1980 - modded with Floyd Rose - E.M.G 81/85

HI, i just wondered if anyone could help me with a les paul i'm currentley considering buying ... It's a Gibson Les Paul Custom serial #81150584, which makes it a 1980 Les Paul made in Nashville. This guitar has been quite extensively modified from its original setup as a Les Paul Black Beauty Custom by it's previous owner. The modifications that have been made to it are - EMG Zakk Wylde Activ Pickups (81/85) - Original Floyd Rose Tremelo Bridge system - The back and the neck have been sanded down and refinished (natural). I am aware that this might be considered sacrilage to most Les Paul people but i'm intrigued with these modifications for my style (I play Ibanez 7vwh's). The condition is good for it's age, apart from the whole the whole of the back of the guitar where the finish of the neck and body has complety been sanded down and refinished (must have been done to make neck play faster).

What i wanted to know was, how much do these guitars usually go for secondhand? With these modifications, how much would it be worth secondhand, do these mods effect value heavily?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:19 PM
rgr

Re: Gibson Les Paul 'Black Beauty' Mod Custom 1980 - modded with Floyd Rose - E.M.G 81/85

In good unmodded condition, I'm guessing that guitar would be $1500 - $2000, I like those years because of the white instead of cream binding.

With the mods that have been done to that one, it's no longer a Les Paul to purists, especially the floyd. I probably wouldn't go ove $600 - $800 for it if that much because I would be worried about resale value.

These are only my opinions, so definitely do some research. Search completed items on de bay, especially look for ones that have been modded. For better or worse, that has become the best place to look to determine "market" value of items these days.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:01 PM

Re: Gibson Les Paul 'Black Beauty' Mod Custom 1980 - modded with Floyd Rose - E.M.G 8

I like the back better than the front .

Regards

André

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: Gibson Les Paul 'Black Beauty' Mod Custom 1980 - modded with Floyd Rose - E.M.G 81/85

Yes the back looks like it's really been proffestionally refinished, very nice! I'm thinking of paying around £500 / £600 so there shouldn't be to much of a loss if i decided to re-sell.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 06:45 PM

Re: Gibson Les Paul 'Black Beauty' Mod Custom 1980 - modded with Floyd Rose - E.M.G 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
I like the back better than the front .

Regards

André
Same. It looks nice natural actually. I'd say it's worth about $800 tops, and would not suggest paying over $900 unless it's absolutely the best playing Les paul you have ever played. After conversion, I think the price is right
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

It's on **** at the moment. It's had 26 bidders and is now at £820 with 5 days to go ... i'm out
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:02 AM

Reviews: 34

Shame, it did look good, but way too much money considering that the resale will be very poor.

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremelo , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , les paul , les paul custom , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode