Gibson Les Paul.... Custom or Studio? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Gibson Les Paul.... Custom or Studio?

Well.... what do you think I should do? Fork out about 2000 for the oh so beautiful Custom... or about 750 for the pretty nice, but not so beautiful Studio. I have yet to play them both... so what would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 11:01 PM

Play them, if you can justify the extra 1250 in tone, feel and looks, then sure...But i don't think I'd pay that money for a LP, unless it's THE one...

I'd maybe look on the used market...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 05:50 AM

Play as many LPs as you can get your hands on and try not to take anyone's advice too seriouly. As an example, I have included my personal view on the subject below.

If I were you, I would look for a really nice Standard. There are definately some nice Studios or Classics that feel nicer than some Customs or Standards, but it's a varies from guitar to guitar. If you can find a great Custom or Standard, you will never regret getting it. I have a friend who went through around 4-5 Studios and 2 Classics before finally finding a great Standard and then an '82 Custom that he never puts down. Great specimens of those guitars have a vibe that just won't quit.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 09:42 AM

I'd fork out the extra dough for the custom. Unless of course it'll sit in your house where no one will ever see it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent
Play as many LPs as you can get your hands on and try not to take anyone's advice too seriouly. As an example, I have included my personal view on the subject below.

If I were you, I would look for a really nice Standard. There are definately some nice Studios or Classics that feel nicer than some Customs or Standards, but it's a varies from guitar to guitar. If you can find a great Custom or Standard, you will never regret getting it. I have a friend who went through around 4-5 Studios and 2 Classics before finally finding a great Standard and then an '82 Custom that he never puts down. Great specimens of those guitars have a vibe that just won't quit.
I could'nt agree more,I searched for 10 years for a LP,the reason? 1 late 60's (69 if i recall) custom,natural top,3 hum,But it just felt and sounded right ... Unfortunately i lost out on it,having put down a deposit i needed cash to pay bills etc ... So 3 weeks later i am made redundant and could have bought it outright :-( Anyhoo i digress,I then spent the next 10 yrs,trying to find one i liked as much,What i have now is a 96 standard,and it feels right and sounds right,I have played heaps of LP's,some sounded good,some played well,others had great tone,but none had *all* of what i needed from a LP ... This does it all,and it's the only thing (apart from the kids and wife) i would'nt sell EVER ... Still can't stand the finish tho (tobacco burst) but it's something thats grown on me,Maybe in 40 yrs time i'll like it

Moral? Try as many as you can,Customs,Gems,Standards,Studio's and take home the one that feels and sound right to YOU

For the record,i've never bought a guitar on looks,and i've only ever bought 1 guitar without playing it first ... It may be a long journey

If your ever near MK,pop in and you'll see what i mean :-)

Rob
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 11:33 AM

If I wanted a Les Paul I'd probably get the studio, since it's cheap. Realistically, I'd get neither.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 01:51 PM

Just got a great Ebony LP Custom for 880 on Ebay... mint, from 1998, bought it from canada...got it shipped over in 5 days, i wouldnt buy a studio man, they dont have the same vibe as the customs, and modern standards are getting made of of crappier materials all the time, which is why the Custom model has now been moved over to Customshop art/historic production, cause they are trying to keep some dignity to the line, i mean, what the hell is up with non matched tops and plastic crap inlays on the standards... Some of the LTD edition studios are cool mind you, the ones with blank ebony boards are usually pretty nice. Try some stuff out, get what feels best, but theres something about a decent solid build les paul custom, preferably highly glossed and shiny to the extreme :P
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 05:16 PM

Play till you find one. What Ive found with most les pauls is I usually dont like the really expensive models. Go figure, but they dont always have that vibe. A used standard, or custom, either one will do. Ive played studio models I like and some I dont like so to each his own
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 03:55 AM
Banned

i know it's off topic guys... but it's a good place to ask my question, since everyone looking at this topic know enough about Gibson
I just bought a 1997 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst in very good condition for US$1200 shipped. good deal?

Tags
ebony board , ebony boards , gibson les paul , gibson les paul standard , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode