Gibson Les Paul Double Cut + - Anybody got one? Anybody play - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Gibson Les Paul Double Cut + - Anybody got one? Anybody play

Checked out one of these at Mars Music today. Pretty sweet guitar for the money. Has a chambered mahogany body, flamed maple top, 24 fret neck (!!), bound fretboard w/ trapezoid inlays, and gold hardware. Seems like a lot of guitar for $1400, including the case. Every now and then it's nice to have a fixed bridge axe.

Anybody have one of these or considering getting one? I'm looking for some players reports (and trying to avoid H.C.).

Thanks,
--Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 03:42 AM

Gibson Les Paul Double Cut +

I've always liked the looks of the double cutaway, but are you serious about buying a new Gibson. *For the past several years, Gibson has continued to decrease in the making of quality instruments IMO. *I haven't played any new Gibsons I have liked from 1997 until today.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 10:30 AM

I played an Epiphone Les Paul Standard once immediately after an Ibanez RG-320. *Big mistake. *The neck is WAY too fat for my liking. *I couldn't stand to play it except for the fact that one of my favorite guitarists plays them almost exclusively. *Although he uses the Gibson Les Paul Classic (which I like the look of) which has a "'57 slim taper neck". *Anyone know if this is any thinner than the standard? *Cuz I like the sound and want a Les Paul in my lineup in case I need it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 12:22 AM

I don't know about the Epiphone models but I do know that the Gibson lp standards neck it is thicker than the lp classics neck. I heard they were really thin on the classics in the early '90s. Personally I love the thicker lp necks. I just picked up my 550 for the first time since I got my lp studio.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

I'm considering buying a new Gibson, in all honesty. I wasn't aware of any quality problems with recent years Gibsons. (I just sold an 80's Les Paul, and I always heard bad things about Gibsons in the 80's, but it was built like a [email protected]#$ brick house!) If I didn't own a handful of Ibanezes and visited this site for the first time before buying one, I'd probably be skeptical of buying an Ibanez.

Personally, I really dig the thicker neck on the Gibsons. The LP Double Cut + seems to have a different neck profile than my older LP, but I prefer it. Most of the Ibanezes I play frequently (J-customs) have thicker necks, so I've gotten used to it.

--B
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:16 PM

A friend of mine bought a new LP Standard in 98. *It looks good, but the playability and sound leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. *I also hate the square fret crowns they do.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 03:41 AM

Reviews: 2

I think they look cool. Why buy a PRS Santana when you can buy a Gibson of teh same shape pretty decent quality and 24 frets.

I haven't tried one, but other than a Jimmy Page Les Paul or a 1979 LP Artist it's the only gibson I would buy.

P

Tags
double cutaway , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul standard , fixed bridge , flamed maple , fret neck , gibson les paul , gibson les paul classic , jimmy page , les paul , les paul classic , les paul standard , mahogany body , thicker necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode