Gibson Les Pauls vs Sg's - standard vs. studio - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2002, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Gibson Les Pauls vs Sg's - standard vs. studio

What are the differences between a Les Paul Studio from the early 90's vs. a Les Paul standard? *I know binding on the neck and body comes on the standards, but what else? *I'm not talking about Studio Lites either. *I like the looks of the sudio better, but any differences that compromises the sound? *Also, how do the tones of these guys compare to an SG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 09:27 AM

Gibson Les Pauls vs Sg's

There are not too many differences in these guitars. *Mainly, the binding, as you mentioned on the Standards and the colors. *Pretty much just visualization differences. *But there is a quality issue with the Studios too. *I've seen one or two cross my path that were excellent players, but most need lots of care to get them in a players condititon. *Standards are a bit better crafted IMHO - more attention to details of the guitar at the factory so it seems. *I believe these even have the same pickups - the 490 and 498 and the same wood.

I like the looks of the Standards much better than the studios.

The SG's are a completely different sounding guitar. *They're screechy and tend to feedback a bit more than LP's. *They have a bit higher-end tone. *I feel the LP has a bit more full 'ballsy' sound than the SG, but both are fine instruments. *The neck joint on SG's are fragile and have been known to crack and break when dropped or abused.

Gabe
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Gibson Les Pauls vs Sg's

True to the fragile SG neck joints...
What kind of care are you talking about for the studios? *Like nut/tuner/bridge cheapness or something like that? *I'm wondering if there are consistent problems in a certain area I should be aware of...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 10:35 AM

Gibson Les Pauls vs Sg's

Mainly quality flaws. *Look for them. *Most of the problems are with the setup of the guitar which can be fixed on your end or by a guitar tech. *Neck alignment, bridge, action, etc.

As far as I know the wood, HW, nut, and everything between the Studio and the Standard are the same.

Gabe
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 12:54 PM

Gibson Les Pauls vs Sg's

Arent the main sg flaws in the 61, and some of the reissues though. *When Les Paul Designed this and Gibson did their damage he later refused to endorse it because he wanted it to be neck through with a thicker less neck heavy body and a two octave neck. *They later changed the neck joint after les paul refused to allow his name to be put on the headstock, and now I think the only ones that bear his name have the good neck joint. *I currently have a 68 sg, with a locking kahler trem, and some salvaged Ibanez pickups in it. IT was a give me fixerupper, the humbuckers were added and it has no finish, but still, it sounds fat. *I had to completely rewire the thing. * Still I like sgs far better than les pauls. *The sg just has more feel to it. *While the original les pauls feel to be too muddy and the pickups are just odd to me. *Its just a matter of taste. One of the pauls I played that I did like was the Gary Moore issue, and the Zakk Wylde paul. *Those are the only two that i really dig. *

Tags
gary moore , guitar tech , ibanez pickups , kahler trem , les paul , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , neck joint , neck joints , sounding guitar , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode