Gibson raided by Feds - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Gibson raided by Feds

11-17-2009 11:40 AM
UPDATED: To clarify that charges have yet to be filed and identify the federal agency involved in the office search; adds statement from Gibson

Federal agents from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and local police today seized wood, guitars, computers and boxes of files from Gibson Guitar's Massman Road manufacturing facility.

Sources say the Nashville-based guitar manufacturer is being investigated for violating the Lacey Act, a key piece of environmental law, for importing endangered species of rosewood from Madagascar.

Rosewood is widely used in the construction of guitars and sells for $5,000 per cubic meter, more than double the price of mahogany. The island nation off Africa's east coast is a key producer of the hardwood, the export of which has links to international criminal activity.

A statement from Gibson released late Tuesday afternoon says the company is "fully co-operating" with the investigation.

"Gibson Guitar is fully cooperating with agents of the United States Fish & Wildlife Service as it pertains to an issue with harvested wood. Gibson is a chain of custody certified buyer who purchases wood from legal suppliers who are to follow all standards. Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO [Henry Juszkiewicz] sits on the board of the Rainforest Alliance and takes the issue of certification very seriously. The company will continue to cooperate fully and assist our federal government with all inquiries and information," the company's statement said.

Madagascar has struggled financially since a January coup and new President Andry Rajoelina issued an executive order in September legalizing the export of rosewood and ebony. The move was decried by environmental groups and political leaders worldwide, as hardwood forests are key to Madagascar's unique ecology and serve as a habitat for a dwindling lemur population.

Sources tell NashvillePost.com Gibson was involved in a scheme that shipped the wood from Madagascar to Germany and then to the United States.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Gibson raided by Feds

jesus, a top brand like Gibson taking advantage of a situation like that. last thing the world needs is global leaders in a massive industry foresting endangered anythings!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 02:06 PM

What is Gibson's problem lately?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
True that!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
Yep, first the Hendrix thing and now this. Maybe there's more stuff I haven't heard about?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Yep, first the Hendrix thing and now this. Maybe there's more stuff I haven't heard about?
Yes, their quality control.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 03:44 PM

I saw this a few days ago, not sure what to make of it. Like it says, Gibson is a big part of the 'Rainforest Alliance'.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Rain forests are terrifying places full of bugs so big they have recognizable faces and character traits.

I say chop the lot down and build Les Pauls - the would would be a better place

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I saw this a few days ago, not sure what to make of it. Like it says, Gibson is a big part of the 'Rainforest Alliance'.
I'm not sure what to make of it either, except to shake my head. I like quality wood in my guitars, but not at the expense of the Madagascar environment.

And the fact that the Gibson CEO Juszkiewicz is on the board of the Rainforest Alliance strikes me as a conflict of interest, a fox-guarding-the-henhouse situation.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

The thing that really makes look douches , is that they funneled the wood thru Germany before shipping to the US in order hinder the tracking.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:22 PM

Didn't work very well then did it?

But a very strange story nonetheless, considering the long established rainforest alliance at Gibson, incl the special Les Paul SmartWood series, which have been in production since 1998...tbc...

http://www.gear-vault.com/gibson-les...tic-smartwood/
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Or maybe it is big brother flexing its muscle. The Feds do have a long history of coming in sideways to impose their will even if you are doing everything right.
You never know in this situations, three side to every story yours, theirs, and the truth.
Oh! and in modern day a fourth ... the media.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 PM

I feel much safer now.....................
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbean View Post
Rain forests are terrifying places full of bugs so big they have recognizable faces and character traits.

I say chop the lot down and build Les Pauls - the would would be a better place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pd4ahq6t5w

Yep
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Reviews: 2

Gibson could just sand some plywood down, paint it black, polish it, call it ebony and most of its buyers would never notice the difference.

The ironic thing is that it isn't even big corporations that are the destruction of rainforests; its the locals who cut them down and use techniques like slash and burn agriculture, etc. If anything corporations are just putting the wood to use before someone else burns down some perfectly good trees that could have been someones future guitar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode