Gibson robot Les Paul... - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 04:44 AM

Re: Gibson robot Les Paul...

Would it kill them to just make a guitar with 24 frets? Apparently they can make a robot guitar, but this is still something out of their reach.

oh wait, they did make a PRS style 24 fret guitar, same scale length though, ugh...

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/lpcd.html

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 11-17-2007 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 05:23 AM

Reviews: 120

Some SGs have 24 frets as well don't they?

post #33 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 06:50 PM

Yeah, but there still all mostly 24 3/4 scale
post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post

oh wait, they did make a PRS style 24 fret guitar, same scale length though, ugh...

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/lpcd.html
To be fair, Gibson had that bodystyle long before PRS
post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 AM

I think it's a good idea to have a "Self Tuning Guitar". But at the same time if your paying how much ever money on it wouldn't you already know how to tune a guitar? I think this would be a great idea for beginners especially if they are younger. Or if it became affordable.

I'd also think it's a good idea if your on stage. Because if you have a different tuning on your next song. It would take time to tune every string correctly if it's down a half step or something. Or it'd take time to get a different guitar that's already tuned for the song. Having a self tuning guitar would be loads faster and you wouldn't have to go fiddling around on stage.
post #36 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Reviews: 3

legendeath is right on the money. (no pun intended)
post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:16 AM

they ripped that off from transperformance, which sells them for a significantly lower price.
post #38 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:52 PM

I have mixed feelings about this one... I think that this could definitely be cool if Gibson were to incorporate a Classic-styled bridge that were able to adjust to have perfect intonation... Or an automated truss rod... Or tuners that mechanically reinforced the tension on the string to minimize slippage so that bends would remain accurate. The benefits of all of this alone make me kind of excited - and the fact Gibson is doing it first with the Les Paul, that makes it even better! For me, this could potentially be the ultimate guitar. Well, if they could incorporate all of that functionality into that new 24-fret S Prestige, then maybe that would be my "Ultimate".

But that's getting too far off track. As you flip the coin, notice that we have a whole new issue to begin with, which would be the way that it's incorporated into the guitar. Hmm?

Now, I'm the kind of guy that likes to pull out my Les Paul Standard and not only admire its simple-yet-sophisticated-and-elegant do-all tonal warmth, but I like it to LOOK and FEEL like a LES PAUL, too! I don't want it adorned with a bunch of space-aged gimmicky gizmos that serve no purpose other than to add that "futuristic" pizazz that is sure to make the long-loved Les Paul a total deviation from what we have all grown to intimately know and love. (just let me sensationalize a little bit longer! okay?)

One of two things are going to happen here folks. This will be the dawn of a groundbreaking "must-have" for every quality instrument in the future. This will be a moment in history defined by the genius and innovation of some underpaid bastard over at Gibson, paired with the technical engineering mastery that will eliminate the jobs of many guitar techs. It could be, dare I say, REVOLUTIONARY?

OR. Gibson could be half-assing on the actual technology because they're possibly overlooking the fact that NOBODY with $2500 to spend on a guitar is going to give a dead rat's ass about a cleverly-designed "Axe of the Future"... A gimmick combination of stainless steel accents on "futuristic" colors... A design that would feel more at home in the corner of Elroy Jetson's bedroom.

A fusion of the classic, like the one below, would be a good start:

But the interface housing is rather imposing, don't you think? I know that I can hardly stand looking at it, let alone worry about how that thing is going to get in my way! Is there no way to implement this on the side of the body? Underneath some type of cover, perhaps?

So for me, it's going to be a matter of how true the guitar's playability and classic appearance remain. Or... Will I find a compromise in the styling if I can ultimately play a lot of heavy bends without my string going out of tune? What about a tremolo? It wouldn't be the first time someone has installed a Floyd trem in a Gibson. Hell, that isn't all that uncommon. But what about one that will stay in tune for an entire gig?

I guess I'll just have to see what happens. One things for sure, though... If these things flop, they'll be worth a ton money in the future. If they prove to be functional and not let any of the newly implemented electronics get in the way of what has made the Gibson Les Paul a truly Great guitar, then the potential "pioneer" could be worth, again, a TON of money.

I may buy one of these just to add to the collection.
post #39 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
they ripped that off from transperformance, which sells them for a significantly lower price.
Good thing no one pointed that out on the first page.
post #40 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Dee

Self-tuning guitar? Interesting. But I'll just grab the Behringer version for £50.
post #41 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:45 AM

It hasnt been out long enough for Behringer to steal it yet.
post #42 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Dee

True. I was kidding anyway.

I can tune my own guitar, thanks Gibson.

Thibson.
post #43 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 AM

Reviews: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Self-tuning guitar? Interesting. But I'll just grab the Behringer version for 50.

What about for 25 quid?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/String-M...00-i1125698.gc

post #44 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 03:52 AM
Dee

Yeah, that's about all I can afford! Seriously though, this is all so lazy... tsk tsk.
post #45 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Good thing no one pointed that out on the first page.
i was replying to the TS, turd

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , custom shop , david mccarroll , edge trem , floyd trem , fret access , fret guitar , fret guitars , gibson les paul , guitar tech , jimmy page , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , locking nut , locking tuners , parker fly , pedal board , steve vai , truss rod , tuning system , upper fret , upper fret access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode