Gibson robot Les Paul... - Page 7 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Re: Gibson robot Les Paul...

Or imagine your playing Sharp Dressed Man (a common cover tune) and being able to switch to open E tuning for the slide solo, then back to standard for the rest of the song. Thereby, playing it correctly instead of concocting some way of playing the whole thing in standard.

And personally I've never messed with intonation or open tunings (I've never done my own setups), so I'm very interested in this. As far as tuning, maybe I'm backwards, but I always had some trouble with getting a guitar in perfect (relative) tune by ear. Once I got a digital tuner, and was always practicing in tune, then I could tell when a string(s) was off.

Last edited by jwoods986; 11-27-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM

I don't think I'll ever learn to tune by ear . . . I'm getting better, and I can fix one string if it's off, but I have trouble doing 4 or 5 strings. But I don't think that the Robot Guitar can change tunings fast enough for you to switch mid-song. Did you watch the video? It takes a little while.
post #93 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoods986 View Post
Or imagine your playing Sharp Dressed Man (a common cover tune) and being able to switch to open E tuning for the slide solo, then back to standard for the rest of the song. Thereby, playing it correctly instead of concocting some way of playing the whole thing in standard.
But you can't even do this with the Robot guitar.

So you're going to start playing Sharp Dressed Man...tell the band to wait a sec...pull the pot...turn it to open E...strum the open strings...wait for it to tune up...push the pot back in...then continue playing...

edit: Just read what Colin posted... Replace my entire post with, "yeah, what he said."

Last edited by wilch; 11-28-2007 at 02:53 AM. Reason: I hadn't read what Colin wrote before posting.
post #94 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:59 AM

here's a thought... buy a tuner and learn how to tune your guitar. With the money you save you could buy another LP and tune that one too!!
post #95 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 06:42 AM

I've got to agree with the sentiments of most of the other posters. Tuning a guitar yourself by ear is an important skill and this guitar would take that away. The only logical application I can see this being used for is playing live to keep it in tune, but even then you'd be stuck with one guitar and alot of touring bands probably have techs anyway. But on the other hand I suppose Gibson is just trying to push the guitar into the 21st century in the only way which hasn't widely been done yet?
post #96 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:18 PM

Here's the only problem I'd have with it. Im too damned paranoid to trust it. My band uses alot of alternate tunings so Id pull the knob...blah blah, then I'd wait for it to tune.......then Id have to check it to see that it did indeed do what I wanted it to.

You guys know what a wonderful feeling it is to dive into that next song and be completely out of tune. Plus what happens by the third set when youve had a beer or twelve. Hell I wouldnt even know what to do at that point. I'll stick to dragging alot of guitars with me.
post #97 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

It has real advantages for a giggin player that doesn't want to have to race back to his pedal board after every song. And if you're not coming out of tune during a show, you ain't playing hard enough. It may not catch on as far as everyone needing one, but consider what it 'could' do for you.

I would consider buying one. If I liked LP's.

The vids are pretty funny.
http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/Ro...deoVoting.aspx

Couple Youtube vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZT6J_uPPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcXBxEZhAtg
post #98 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 02:42 PM

When I first saw this I was totally pumped at the idea of just not having to unlock my bridge to wanting to play other songs.

My understanding was that I thought the guitar would change the signal, I realize now from watching the vid, that it ACTUALLY physically turns the pegs... holly crud....

I think the first editions of this guitar are limited and they are suppose to make it more common later...

so yeah I didn't think it would really... tune itself that way, so that would mean yeah switching between tunings WHILE playing would be kind of odd. Funny but odd nonetheless.

I love the demo of changing strings, what would happen if you did it incorrectly or it just went haywire and kept revolving!!! HA HA

AGHHHH MY GUITAR IS POSSESED IT'S GOT A MIND OF IT'S OWN!!!

SNAP!!! too dam funny.
post #99 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:57 AM

I thought this was a refferance to buckethead....alas no
post #100 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:48 PM

The demo video that I saw showed the player having to pluck each string a couple of times in order for the tuning to actually take place. If that's how it works, there's no way I could see switching tunings to play a lead solo and then back to finish out the song...in fact, it seemed a little slow to me. I think I could tune just as fast with a decent tuner.

I agree with an earlier post...for the money that Gibson wants, they should be focusing on fit and finish. I see too many LPs that need a pretty good amount of set up in order to play. A new guitar shouldn't require a fret job before being able to play.
post #101 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemjem View Post
I think I could tune just as fast with a decent tuner.
Now, that would be CRAZY fast

No, but really I think it tunes pretty fast. I mean cmon, to switch tuning completely and get it exactly in tune like this gets it, that's not easy to do as the pace this "robot" does it.

Well, I've played one of those when it came out (Didn't see this thread until now) and well.. It's cool and all that, it's a rather wicked idea heh.. :P First of all, it took me half an hour to get it tuned to "standard" e tuning, then well, it all quickly escaladed

One thing that I -really- disliked was the fact that you can't turn the tuners by yourself. They're stuck and you -have- to use the "spaceknob" to tune the guitar. I guess that's the only way to have robotic tuners I guess, but anyway it's really wierd not to be able to quickly adjust one string if it would go flat/sharp during a bend (duuh, it's an LP, hehehe).

Other than that, I think it's cool! If I would buy an LP I would def. buy one of these!
post #102 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 AM

Let's see ..... robot LP, mechanical retuning, a squillion dollars for the guitar.

VG Strat ...... tune once, flip a switch (or even two), too many dollars but not as much as the Gibson.

I'm happy with the Strat thanks.
post #103 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
One thing that I -really- disliked was the fact that you can't turn the tuners by yourself.
But they aren't. You either push or pull on the tuning peg, then you can freely turn them.
post #104 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 PM

Angry Re: Gibson robot Les Paul...

Well, I know most of you guys are gonna' let me have it, but I'm a big Gibson Les Paul fan and picked up a 'Robot late yesterday.
As usual, it needs to be set up correctly but I don't know if I'll have it that long to bother.
After playing it most of the evening and changing tunings, probably 10 times, I started getting an odd sound. I had wired up my wah about 5 minutes before, as I hadn't used it in a while and I "was" having fun. I thought the battery might of been dieing, but unfortunately no!
You see, me keeping it depends on what the local importer and Gibson does about the nut seeming to wear down under the "D" string and now it's buzzing the first frett.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , custom shop , david mccarroll , edge trem , floyd trem , fret access , fret guitar , fret guitars , gibson les paul , guitar tech , jimmy page , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , locking nut , locking tuners , parker fly , pedal board , steve vai , truss rod , tuning system , upper fret , upper fret access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode