Gibson SG, one of the coolest designs EVER - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Gibson SG, one of the coolest designs EVER

I've played a couple of SG's, never really paying attention to them that much. Liked the design etc. But last night, I was at a Switchfoot concert (omg, they were SO good!!!) John Forman (lead singer, guitarist) was playing this SICK looking SG. It was a gray to black burst thing, but the grey looked kinda quilted almost. It was sooo beautiful. And it looked so comfortable.

I think now i've got to get me one of those SG's. Maybe just an epi if i can't afford the gibson models. But man, they're nice guitars, both playing, and looking. They're also very versatile for rock imo. He played some slow clean stuff, to some really nice heavy distortion.

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Re: Gibson SG, one of the coolest designs EVER

I have always thought the SG was nicer looking than the Les Paul.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM

SGs sound great, beautiful to play too. Only gripe is that it's a bit headstock-heavy but that's perhaps nitpicking. Plug into a Marshall and stick the bridge pickup on... pure AC/DC.

Everyone goes for them in red, but I think they look stunning in white.

'87
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM

My favorite guitar color is white. The white JS is to die for.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I have always thought the SG was nicer looking than the Les Paul.

defintely. les pauls also look very heavy and stocky, which they are!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:28 PM

SG's rock.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 PM

SG's are awesome. Nice and chunky, EXCELLENT upper fret access, well balanced, I could go on but it'd take me forever. The thing is though, I'm not a fan of the look of them if I'm to be honest

Actually I have an SG in the classifieds right now but I'm only selling it to get my hands on a Studio LP.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 02:11 PM

I love my SG. Its red, and has 5 fret buttons, a whammy bar (hehe), and plugs right into my Playstation 2. Its awesome!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Yeah I have a couple of those too!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Yeah I have a couple of those too!

the action on those beasts is amazing!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
I've played a couple of SG's, never really paying attention to them that much. Liked the design etc. But last night, I was at a Switchfoot concert (omg, they were SO good!!!) John Forman (lead singer, guitarist) was playing this SICK looking SG. It was a gray to black burst thing, but the grey looked kinda quilted almost. It was sooo beautiful. And it looked so comfortable.

I think now i've got to get me one of those SG's. Maybe just an epi if i can't afford the gibson models. But man, they're nice guitars, both playing, and looking. They're also very versatile for rock imo. He played some slow clean stuff, to some really nice heavy distortion.

Comments?
Was the coloring similar to this:
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Division...SG%20Standard/

I've always loved SG's. When I first started taking guitar lessons back when I was 11, a kid I knew had one. It was this awesome blue color, and the moment I saw it I knew I wanted one. Still working on getting one, 14 years later
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
Was the coloring similar to this:
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Division...SG%20Standard/

I've always loved SG's. When I first started taking guitar lessons back when I was 11, a kid I knew had one. It was this awesome blue color, and the moment I saw it I knew I wanted one. Still working on getting one, 14 years later

that's pretty similar to the guitar i saw. except Jon forman's SG didn't have a pickguard. no doubt it was a custom. i wasn't close enough to see the neck in any detail either.... row 27
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
that's pretty similar to the guitar i saw. except Jon forman's SG didn't have a pickguard. no doubt it was a custom. i wasn't close enough to see the neck in any detail either.... row 27
Oh, I figured it was a custom, as the SG in the link didn't have any quilting. I was just trying to find a similar color scheme. Have you tried the 'net, like a google search, to see if you could find anymore information?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:05 PM

they're one of the most Fugly guitars in the world to me....

sorry.. continue
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
Oh, I figured it was a custom, as the SG in the link didn't have any quilting. I was just trying to find a similar color scheme. Have you tried the 'net, like a google search, to see if you could find anymore information?
no, i'll do that though. i'm in love with his guitar! try searching you tube for their live videos (switchfoot) i can't access youtube right now.

Tags
bridge pickup , fret access , les paul , les pauls , upper fret , upper fret access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode