Gibson sg special - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Gibson sg special

I'm thinking about trading in my 7620 to get one. Good move or bad move? I'm really interested in one, not because they are cheaper than other sg models because this is the only model I really like. So like I asked before good move or bad move?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 06:48 AM

Gibson sg special

Good move, just send me the RG!! lol *Actually, I would give my left nut for either of those, but more-so for the RG. *The SG is nice, but nothing to sneeze at. *They've got a tone that's been done a million times.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:37 AM

Gibson sg special

Noodles,
You decide if it's good or bad. I will say this about SG Specials. I had one in Ebony Stain, sweet color. I traded it and I miss it. I did like that guitar quite a bit. The combo of the Mahogany body and the 490 pickups just screamed...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 01:50 PM

Gibson sg special

SG Special, mahogany neck and body, great playability and not as heavy as a LP, I'd go for it. Good luck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Gibson sg special

I have been hearing that the neck joint of sg models are not solid and they go out of tune easily, can anyone comment on either? Would locking tunners help? Also can anyone comment on their pickups? Thanks for the help so far.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:28 PM

Gibson sg special

I didn't have any tuning problems for the 6 months I owned mine. The pickups are very good, I've owned several Gibsons and have always been happy with the pickups. The 490's in the Special really scream, but can clean up nicely. The don't have the top end like PAF's but they do OK. For heavy stuff they do sound very nice...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Gibson sg special

Also can anyone comment on the p-90's of the sg junior? It is the only thing stopping me from concidering the junior *because if I don't like their sound I will not have many options to replace it with.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 03:11 PM

Gibson sg special

If you should not like the P-90's there are a bunch of humbucker replacements with apprpriate dimensions so that you'll not need to route/ruine your axe. You could choose a Duncan custom shop soapbar stack, which delivers the P-90 tone without the hum. Then, there are the duncan vintage, custom and seymourized mini humbuckers, which are cool (I like especially the vintage one, not too hot and well balanced). Surely Dimarzio has pups in that dimensions, like the virtual P-90 and the mini humbucker. If you should not like the Gibson P-90's but still want singlecoils, then Fralin and Harmonic Design have some really good sounding P-90's. The difference is that they don't sound too midy, but opener, say better balanced tone, but still P-90.

I have put a pair of Fralins in my Gibson SG Classic, and it sounds like heaven!

Good luck!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 04:06 PM

Gibson sg special

I take back what I said, I actually like the sound of the SG, and have never tried one. *I'm just curious to know what the tonal versatility is like, since I've only ever heard maybe one or two different tones coming out of one. *Again, give me the 7620. lol
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Gibson sg special

Thanks for the help guys, I might just keep 7620 and save up for the sg special. Can anyone comment on the neck joints? How do they feel tight, lose, week?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 09:31 AM

Gibson sg special

Gibson SG is setneck which results in good sustain and neck joint stability.

Tags
custom shop , mahogany body , neck joint , neck joints

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode