Gibson V or Dean Razorback - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Gibson V or Dean Razorback

I'm trying to decide between getting a Gibson V 1967 re issue (white) or a Dean Razorback. Both are about the same price, anyone played both or either that has an opinion? I used to have a Razorback and it was a great guitar, have never played a V but heard great things about the. I do like the idea of the Ebony board on the V plus the non trem...leaning toward the V but wanted to see if any of you have good/bad points on either. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 AM

Re: Gibson V or Dean Razorback

The V is a classic in my book.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:25 AM

I'm pretty sure the 67 RI has a rosewood board.
Anyway, I would go with the Gibson all day.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I'm pretty sure the 67 RI has a rosewood board.
Anyway, I would go with the Gibson all day.
The white V comes with an ebony fingerboard. According to the specs on the site anyways.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:39 AM

How about one of the new Dime Razorback V's? Like Corey from Trivium plays. Then you get the best of both worlds. Plus they are \m/ as you like.

http://www.deanguitars.com/trivium_corey.php
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1 View Post
The white V comes with an ebony fingerboard. According to the specs on the site anyways.
Guess you learn something new everyday. That would just make me choose the V even more. ALthough I never understood why certain colors would have different neck material, especially if the guitar is supposed to be an RI.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:47 AM

I like the Gibby strictly on looks over the Dean.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 AM

Sharp points chip too easy and (if you ask me) look silly.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM

i have a razor and can say i'd buy 20 before ever even thinking of touching a gibson . i think gibson quality has gone to the crapper . they are havin problems with thier neck joints and IMO just dont play that great . i was takin a lesson and they had one at the music store so i did a side by side because i was also interested in the V.

no comparison imo . my razor had a better finish , the frets were larger as well as crowned and polished better . the razor's floyd is great. the only thing i have done is change pickups and wire it up for a single volume and tone along with a kill switch .

sure my razor has a couple of chips but nothing a black sharpie wont fix

the razor has a beautiful V shaped neck wich plays like a dream , it is one of those things though , you either love it or hate it.

you can get a blemished razor or used for around 750-800 , as great as they are i wouldn't buy one new just for the fact you can get them cheaper used or blemished, but yeah i certainly look to buy another razor or maybe a CFH/DFH
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm leaning more and more toward the Gibby....anyone know what fretwire the Gibson has? Medium, jumbo?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Guess you learn something new everyday. That would just make me choose the V even more. ALthough I never understood why certain colors would have different neck material, especially if the guitar is supposed to be an RI.
I guess the brownish colours of the rosewood board didn't agree with the white coulour of the V.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funeral9 View Post
Yeah, I'm leaning more and more toward the Gibby....anyone know what fretwire the Gibson has? Medium, jumbo?
The best description I was able to find was "medium tall", hope that helps.
If I remember right my Vs had short and narrow fretwire but I never had a 67 RI.
I have a friend who bought one probably 15 years ago and that has been his only guitar since so I think it's safe to say he loves them.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:32 AM

I tried a Razorback once and it was lovely, and I've rarely opted for funny shaped, set neck, floydrose guitars. Lovely, though a less subtle image than the Gibson V.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 05:05 PM

Reviews: 10
Post Re: Gibson V or Dean Razorback

It also comes down to your playing style and the type of music you'll be playing
Do you preffer 24 frets VS 22 on the flying V? do you preffer hard tail bridges to
floating trems? ask yourself those question. I like Gibsons and I have a couple flying Vs with hardtails and I play them very rarely because my style demands screaming harmonics, dive bombs, bar flutter effects etc...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:02 PM

I play a Gibson V and I love it. By far I'd recommend the Gibson, but I'm biased.

Tags
ebony board , ebony fingerboard , floating trems , music store , neck joint , neck joints , rosewood board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode