GiO 7's ????? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

GiO 7's ?????

Can anyone give info on the GiO 7 strings? Looks like an RG7321, but with a pickguard and 22 frets. A few on the bay, and for little money I'm thinking this would be a good starter 7 string. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Re: GiO 7's ?????

IIRC, it doesn't have a hardtail bridge, but rather a strat-style bridge unlike the 7321. I've followed a few of them on the 'bay and was tempted pick one up, if not just out of curiosity. Problem is, plan to change out the pickups- that's the problem with entry-level 7's. If the pickups are too muddy (which most cheap ones are, even on 6's), you'll get no definition on the 7th string and the guitar will probably take one-way trip to the closet.

I recommend that you check out the 7-string market in general on the 'bay. I picked up a Schecter Avenger Plus 7 for $150, which is pretty close to the going rate for the GIO's. I also bought up a pair of cheap Blazes from someone else, threw 'em in, and it's an awesome guitar. If you keep your eyes open, similar opportunities will open up.

Last edited by Demiurge; 09-06-2006 at 12:27 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually looking at those "inlay guitars" from Taiwan. Virtually Ibanez copies. $120 shipping, but with such low bids, you're looking under $200 for a 7 string that, per reviews and description, must be pretty decent.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7necro View Post
Thanks for the reply! I'm actually looking at those "inlay guitars" from Taiwan. Virtually Ibanez copies. $120 shipping, but with such low bids, you're looking under $200 for a 7 string that, per reviews and description, must be pretty decent.
One word: No!!!!!!

A GIO is a MUCH better guitar than those paddles they call guitars. mi2tom has/had one before and he can vouch for the $hittiness of these copies.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:46 AM

Yeah, those overly-inlaid guitars sold on the 'bay out of Taiwan have a bad rep. Apparently the inlay work is kind of shoddy (if it wasn't already gaudy enough in the first place!) and the woods they use aren't properly dried, so they crack and warp (most noticeable on the acoustic instruments). Bad news all around- and do you really think you're getting your money's worth on something where you're practically paying for mostly shipping?

Like I said before, the used 7-string market is pretty sweet- a lot of people who bought them when the market was flooded don't want 'em anymore and let them go cheap. Our gain.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:02 PM

I'd avoid both the inlaid guitars from Taiwan and pretty much anything from those inlay guys in taiwan. As for the Gio 7 string guitars, I can tell you that a RG7321 is a much better guitar. I would probably suggest doing what Demiurge did and look for a cheap used 7 string. Some of the Schecter stuff is actually really good for the money and in the used market they're really cheap.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:57 PM

Go for a 7621 or 7421 MIJ RG 7. Those Gios aren't all that bad I guess for the price, I even thought about picking one up just for kicks but I already have 5 7-strings so I don't really need another one, especially one that isn't MIJ.

There are alot of 7620s out there too and you may be able to pick up a 1527 cheap too.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm. Guess you guys talked me out of the inlaid stuff. I had many of the same thoughts, but you're right...why not get an Ibanez or some other name for just a few dollars more? Guess I'm back to looking. Thanks!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez View Post
Go for a 7621 or 7421 MIJ RG 7.
+1

Regards

Andr

Tags
hardtail bridge , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode