Gloss necks?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Gloss necks??

does ibanez make any models with gloss-finished necks anymore? and if not, when is the last time they made one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Gloss necks??

All of the RGT's have a gloss neck. I think all of the other neck-thru/set-neck guitars are gloss as well, but I don't know that for sure......

Sadly the only neck-thru guitars make now are the X-series. There are several set neck guitars made this year though....... including the RGA72's
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

ookay so no prestige models?
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Reviews: 4

Yeah, the X-series, definitely. All the set necks, Including the ART series and the new ARZ, which is a more shred-oriented ART basically.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfm946 View Post
Not that I know of...... but the RGA72QM is a hell of a nice guitar....except the EMG's (I'd have to change them to EMG-x's myself)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, at this time, no. There may be past models other than the RGT I am not aware of, but AFAIK, thats it.

Is there a particular reason you want a gloss neck? Do you have a preference for them? many people are actually turned off by gloss/painted necks. In fact, I just recently used a bit of steel-wool on a (very bad) Harmony that had a gloss neck to make it satan, now it plays like a new guitar, and plays a lot better imo.

Last edited by fwd0120; 06-05-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Came off rude the first time.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

as of now, i prefer gloss necks. i've tried out some rg prestiges (rg3550MZ and 3570Z) at guitar center and i feel like the satin necks on those are kind of sluggish and produce a lot of friction. im not sure if thats just because they need to be cleaned and polished after a lot of people played it though. i have a 1988 rg550 with a gloss neck and it feels amazing after i polish it.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM

One option then, If you find a guitar you like, except for the satin neck, you could get it, then apply copious amount of tsung oil to it, then buff. It's not exactly the same, but close.

One thing you mention you felt the prestige necks "[felt] like the satin necks on those are kind of sluggish and produce a lot of friction". which is kinda strange, most people say the exact same thing about gloss neck. as you said, it could be a matter of them needing to be cleaned. What i would do is just take some fine grade (0000) steel wool to them until it is smooth. satin necks can get dirty, especially since the one you played was at a guitar center, they can get dirtier from *other* people playing them. the oils in everybody's hands is different, and when a lot of people play the same guitar, often with sweaty hands, the result it a stiff neck with a lot of friction thats hard to get around on. If it is a guitar you own and the only person playing, it's only the oils from you hand, so it stays cleaner, and works better.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
as of now, i prefer gloss necks. i've tried out some rg prestiges (rg3550MZ and 3570Z) at guitar center and i feel like the satin necks on those are kind of sluggish and produce a lot of friction. im not sure if thats just because they need to be cleaned and polished after a lot of people played it though. i have a 1988 rg550 with a gloss neck and it feels amazing after i polish it.

rg550's didnt have painted necks...

and yes, you gotta realize, especially at guitar center, the amount of kids with grubby little hands playing those things. they arent taken care of well at all...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:03 PM

lol, just ninja'd lp to the nth degree
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
rg550's didnt have painted necks...
not painted, just clear coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
and yes, you gotta realize, especially at guitar center, the amount of kids with grubby little hands playing those things. they arent taken care of well at all...
yep thats what i figured hahah

this kinda off topic, but do u guys have any info about the neck width and thickness of the original wizard neck and the super wizard prestige neck? because the neck width of the SWP i tried felt wider and a bit uncomfortable compared to the '88 wizard i usually play. i know the SWP is 58mm at the last fret, and its 1mm thinner at the 12th fret, and i made a rough measurement of my wizard neck and it seems to be the same width.

Last edited by kfm946; 06-05-2011 at 05:40 PM.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:37 PM

I don't remember any 550 *I've* played having a gloss neck. It is a strong possibility it has just turned gloss over time. The more you play, the more it kinda naturally polishes it to a gloss. I believe there is a thread somewhere on here talking about satin's turning into gloss over time.

EDIT: Here is that thread http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/sa...oss-94736.html

Especially yours being an '88, I suspect that to be the case.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
In fact, I just recently used a bit of steel-wool on a (very bad) Harmony that had a gloss neck to make it satan, now it plays like a new guitar, and plays a lot better imo.
Arrgh! Make it Satan?????
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
I don't remember any 550 *I've* played having a gloss neck. It is a strong possibility it has just turned gloss over time. The more you play, the more it kinda naturally polishes it to a gloss. I believe there is a thread somewhere on here talking about satin's turning into gloss over time.

EDIT: Here is that thread http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/sa...oss-94736.html

Especially yours being an '88, I suspect that to be the case.
well now that i take a closer look at it, its quite possible. the back of the headstock isnt gloss (which, at first, i thought to be only because it had never been cleaned or polished. but hey, i had only been playing guitar seriously for less than a year at the time ). but that must mean that its been played aaa loooot, becaues the neck is veerrryy glossy lol

Last edited by kfm946; 06-05-2011 at 05:57 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:51 PM

If you have any old RG's, the satin finish on the neck will most likely be glossy. My RG770, RG760 and 540P are all that way. I took some very light sandpaper and sanded the 540P to give it more of a satin finish.

Tags
gloss , neck , satin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode