GMW Green Meanie Run - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

GMW Green Meanie Run

Hey folks, a few of us have decided to put together a run of Green Meanie replicas with GMW Guitars. I spoke with Lee at GMW today and he's thumbs up on doing this. I thought some folks here on the JEM Site would be interested as well.

GMW has done two variations of the Green Meanie over the years: version #1 has the normal lower horn and version #2 has the deeper cutaway on the lower horn.

The basic specs for the run are:
* maple neck/fingerboard
* alder body
* H/S/H pickup config
* 5-way switching
* 1-volume and 1-tone control
* Original Floyd Rose bridge
* pink Lion's claw

Here's what they've typically done for Version #1:
* all pink Air Norton neck PU, all black Virtual Vintage Blues DP 402 middle PU and all blue Evolution bridge PU
* solid single ply 0.060" pickguard
* chrome Floyd, string tree and clamp, plus black tuners and black strap buttons
* pink V and T control knobs, Fender strat style

Here's what they've typically done for Version #2:
* pink/black zebra Air Norton neck PU, all pink HS-2 middle PU and all creme Evolution bridge PU
* solid single ply 0.060" pickguard
* black Floyd, string tree and clamp, plus black strap buttons and chrome tuners.
* black Fender strat V control knob and white Gibson barrel knob

These will price out as follows, just so that everything is complete:

$1200 base price
$200 two extra PU's
$50 pickguard
$50 custom painted lion's claw (we usually just painted them the same Vai neon green, but pink is fine)
$150 GMW form fitted lime green G & G case

Total $1650 with form fitted case.

Ok, that's the basics. Now the cool part. The configs are simply guidelines. You can change pickups, pickup colors, hardware color, pickguard color, green Sperzel tuners, etc.

For example, Chuck (the admin of the SDC/GMW forum) is skipping the lion's claw altogether! He went with PAFs and a 3-ply pickguard. I am going with knurled knobs, Breed pickups, and the scalloped neck heel.

Sure you could order one of these anytime you want but Lee is planning on running the bodies and necks in a batch and do sequential serial numbers. And the matching GMW embroidered Lime Green G&G cases are being ordered for this run.

Lee is estimating 4 months delivery time. If you are interested, contact GMW by the end of the month because that is when they are planning on putting in orders for pickups, cases, and beginning the necks and bodies.

http://www.gmwguitars.com

Here's an idea of what the cases should look like:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 PM

Re: GMW Green Meanie Run

I would have been interested in this about 9 months ago but I'm having someone else doing me a green meanie (lefty too ) but thanks for the heads up .

Regards

André

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:03 PM

The real Green Meanie has a Basswood body.
why are you going with alder?

Last edited by wixomwhat; 02-20-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: g
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:06 PM

that sounds pretty sweet, if i had 1600 i probably would buy one
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:33 PM

The pickup choices are all wrong too.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixomwhat View Post
Quote:
The real Green Meanie has a Basswood body.
why are you going with alder?
These are just preferences. I am not going for a historically accurate guitar. Think of it as a tribute more than a replica. Since we can't get Strat headstocks the exact replica thing is out the window anyhow.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippietim View Post
These are just preferences. I am not going for a historically accurate guitar. Think of it as a tribute more than a replica. Since we can't get Strat headstocks the exact replica thing is out the window anyhow.
Yeah, good point

Last edited by wixomwhat; 02-20-2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I also thought the original was Basswood too.

"The body is made up of basswood and is loaded with custom made DiMarzio pickups; two humbuckers and one single-coil in the middle position."

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/model/charvel2.htm
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I chose alder on purpose. You can get a basswood one if you want.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 10:04 PM

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound so negative.
I really think its cool that you are having some Green Meanie's made. Vai's DLR era Green Meanie is one of my favorite guitars.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound so negative.
I really think its cool that you are having some Green Meanie's made. Vai's DLR era Green Meanie is one of my favorite guitars.
I don't think you sounded negative at all. It's perfectly reasonable to question these sorts of things.

I'll give you a little background on this. Some of us over on one of the Jackson boards were trying to get a Charvel Strat head Green Meanie run going (I believe info about it was posted here at the time as well). But Charvel wouldn't do the guitar because of their new policies regarding not doing artist replicas. When that fell through the dealer we were working with looked into getting it built by Suhr but apparently the lion's claw was not going to happen with Suhr.

So GMW was a very obvious choice for those of us that had not lost enthusiasm for the run. Lee makes outstanding guitars. My third custom GMW was finished yesterday so I'm already a fan. And Lee has built many Green Meanies over the years. His price is probably half what a Charvel or Suhr would have ended up costing. And we don't all have to get the exact same specs like we would have had to do with Charvel (not sure about Suhr).

This last point is important - any of you that have tried to get a limited run of guitars together with a company like Jackson/Charvel will understand the frustration - "I'd be all over that guitar if it only had a _ _ _ _ _ _ _" - everyone has preferences. It can be hardware color, pickup choices, bridge, etc. That kills 90% of the runs that people want to put together.

Doing it this way with GMW means you are part of a run but the guitars will each have player preferences.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 AM

Looks awesome Tim, thanks!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Might consider one of these.

Thanks for posting the info.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Vai's DLR era Green Meanie is one of my favorite guitars.
ditto, love the worn maple, stickers, and crazy pup colors. thats what led me to my obsession with the LNG
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Here's an update. One of them is done. This is the one for the guy that opted to not do the lion's claw route since. Needless to say, I am looking forward to mine getting completed.

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , alder body , basswood body , control knobs , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , evolution bridge , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , green meanie replica , headstock design , headstock shape , maple neck , meanie replica , norton neck , ply pickguard , quilted maple , scalloped neck , sperzel tuners , strap button , strap buttons , strat style , strat style guitar , string tree , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in