Gold Hardware - Looks nice, but is it durable? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Gold Hardware - Looks nice, but is it durable?

Just how durable is the gold hardware going to be on my JC RG5? *It's unlikelly to be gigged and will be for my own personal pleasure, locked away in my bedroom, having unspeakable acts performed all over her ebony neck <rubs thighs in pervy manner>........sorry. *So will the plating last for at least a few years at least?

Also is the trem arm likely to be a 'push in' affair or a screw collar type (which I prefer)?

Any ideas?

Warm Regards

Anil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 07:43 PM

Gold Hardware

What kind of trem is it?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Gold Hardware

Errrr, I think it's a low pro, but with so little spec available, I'm not sure.

Anil
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 03:12 PM

Gold Hardware

If it's a lo-pro, or an edge, it will have the bar that just pops in. *The trs systems have the screw in one.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 10:18 AM

Gold Hardware

gold hardware...

NICE-YES
LASTING-NO

the gold wears of way too fast...and the bad thing is that its obvious

p.s..don't try cleaning the hardware by rubbing too hard..the gold fades of this way!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 11:37 AM
rvj

Gold Hardware

The gold does wear off pretty quickly. The trem on my 7VWH started within two weeks. As with my Les Paul's gold bridge, it's been replaced several times.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 12:48 PM

Gold Hardware

That sucks. *I believe YngVaiTriani is considering getting a used 7VWH, I'd better let him know about the gold wearing off!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Gold Hardware

Arrrgh! *That's horrifying! *Wears off after two weeks? *Well that'd contravenes the 1979 Sales of Goods Act which states that any goods must be 'reasonably' durable, and two weeks is not reasonable. *Surely they could give me a solid gold trem (titium alloy for strength) as a free update?

No I suppose not.

Anil
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:09 AM

Gold Hardware

always thought of sending my hardwares to the goldsmith
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 12:45 PM

Gold Hardware

gold is not very durable. i don't know about the two weeks part, but any area that is in regular contact with your hands will not last very long. (certainly not years). the top of the t-o-m bridge on my Les Paul (where i rest my hand while playing) is totally silver after being replaced about a year ago. the tailpiece, where my hand rubs occasionally is 10 years old and has a silver streak across the top of it.

most kinds of metals can be easily re-plated with gold - you may have seen a kit advertised on tv to do this. i've seen this process in action and it does a pretty good job on touch ups and converting another metal color entirely. the touch ups i saw weren't totally seamless upon very close examination, but good enough in passing. most goldsmiths, jewlers and other metal workers should have this equipment in their posession.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 03:45 PM

Gold Hardware

Anil,
From what I gather it's a Lo-Pro.

And all this 2 weeks stuff is a bit BS.

Not to say that it might not have happened to others, but the finish does last substantially longer than that.
It's all dependant on how much you rest on the bridge and how corrosive your sweat is.

When it does start to fade off I'd go the whole hog and get the hardware brushed to a nice brushed metal finish.
IMHO that'd look very sleek, but the main points for buying the JC RG5 have to be the playability and sound.
Cosmetics come second.

There are steps you can take to reduce the finish wear, but personally I wouldn't bother.
From your previous posts, enthusiasm and the fact that you are spending this much money means that this will be a player guitar (is there any other?)
Give it some welly!

Can't wait to see pics btw.

Any nearer a date?

Steve
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Gold Hardware

Thanks for your advice Steve. *I didn't realise that I could get the hardware brushed. *I really like the look but assumed I'd have to BUY that kind of trem. *Any idea who would do this kind of work on such a fiddly thing as a trem? *My strings seem to last a long time (months and months-but I'm obsessive about wiping and Fast Fretting and I have that new polymer coating that can be applied to strings to protect them!) so I assume my sweat isn't that corrosive (also no holes in my underarms!). Anyway, gold is a noble metal so it's chemically pretty inert. *I assume it's the mallibility of gold that makes it physically wear off any part that's rubbed (wedding rings get very thin after 60 years wear!).

It's funny you should mention the idea that feel and playability are paramount, and aesthetics secondary, in J-customs. *When I was trying to find a good luthier to make me a guitar from scratch (and failed!), I played lots of guitars from about the 800 mark upwards. *In all honesty I found only slight differences in playability between a guitar priced at the lower level, and one at the top end! *It seems that the increase in playability/feel is logarithmic- *the difference between a 200 guitar and a 500 guitar is huge but between an 500 and 800 less, and *1000 and 1500 it's very small indeed. *What does seem to improve is the aesthetics! *Thus, if I'm paying for a 1000+ guitar I EXPECT it to feel and play really well. *I believe any extra I'm paying is for a beautiful and possibly, unique piece of workmanship. *I'm buying the JCRG5 mainly because I like the look of it and I assume it'll play like a dream! *I hope that's the case.

Anyway, thanks for your advice and any suggestions as to who can sand blast a trem into silky mattness would be appreciated!

Warm Regards

Anil
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 11:12 AM

Gold Hardware

Heh, wear a thin glove on your right hand to prevent gold wear on bridge.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 12:23 PM

Gold Hardware

deleted.. next time I need to think of some better jokes! :loco:

(Edited by sixstringphoenix at 12:25 pm on Oct. 13, 2001)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 01:00 PM

Gold Hardware

No J Custom comes with a TRS, all come with Lo-Pro's.

Tags
ebony neck , fast fret , gold trem , les paul , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode