Gonna do a new project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Gonna do a new project

Bought an OLP MM1 this week. Im gonna strip it down, and do a bright green quilted maple top. This model doesnt have the "photo finish" so it will be pretty easy. gonna put an OFR in as well.

I know I cant be the only one here that loves these things

Got it for 130 on the bay, including a HSC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: Gonna do a new project

Lucky you.

I have a MM1, sunburst finish. Great guitars for the price. The only way I'd get rid of it is if I found an OLP MM1FR.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM

I like Baritones,

Would like to ask you a question and don't mean it in a bad way. You buy a lot of these "Cheap" guitars and than pay a lot of money to mod them. Why don't you buy a higher end model? is it you like the modding more than the playing ? Just curious. And again not trying to be nasty.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
I like Baritones,

Would like to ask you a question and don't mean it in a bad way. You buy a lot of these "Cheap" guitars and than pay a lot of money to mod them. Why don't you buy a higher end model? is it you like the modding more than the playing ? Just curious. And again not trying to be nasty.

Honestly, ABSOLUTELY. I get a real enjoyment from taking POS guitars and making them badass. Honestly, that 40$ peavey I bought is friggin ridiculous after a good setup (One peice, multi radius neck, feels fantastic!). I was pretty dumb in the navy, living outside of my means, so Im currently working on getting rid of ALL debt, and saving for a house next year, so Im satisfying my GAS with cheaper guitars

The only "new" item I've bought on any of these is that tone zone for my 540s, I've been getting steals on the everything else.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I like Baritones,

I am guilty of this as well. I caught the DIY bug a couple of years ago when I built my own bass trap for my home studio. From there it progressed into building racks, a desk, pedalboards and then finally modding guitars...

Personally, there a great deal of statisfaction documenting the process and sharing it with other on forums. I do agree though there come a point where you need to factor cost and time. For me I would rather work on a DIY than watch TV... and it actually helps me clear my head and distracts me from all the BS life throws at you for the 23 hours of the day.

.02 cents
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I like Baritones,

I am guilty of this as well. I caught the DIY bug a couple of years ago when I built my own bass trap for my home studio. From there it progressed into building racks, a desk, pedalboards and then finally modding guitars...

Personally, there a great deal of statisfaction documenting the process and sharing it with other on forums. I do agree though there come a point where you need to factor cost and time. For me I would rather work on a DIY than watch TV... and it actually helps me clear my head and distracts me from all the BS life throws at you for the 23 hours of the day.

.02 cents
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 PM

Don't want to hijack the thread and i do understand, having built some guitars myself and do all setup, electronics work. Different as i bought parts and assembled the whole thing. I understand the satisfactory thing. If thats what it is, good for you.

How many do you have now?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't want to hijack the thread and i do understand, having built some guitars myself and do all setup, electronics work. Different as i bought parts and assembled the whole thing. I understand the satisfactory thing. If thats what it is, good for you.

How many do you have now?

DIYs? I dont know. I've gotten rid of most of mine over the years some way or another (broken, lost, stolen, sold, etc) Im gonna redo that 540s with a purple quilt, and ATTEMPT to do binding, doin that RG (almost done!), that MM1 soonish, um. I had been out to sea for like 30 months the past 3 years I Was in the navy (no im not joking), so I am just now getting a chance to really get into everything. And then, my fault completely, I did a REALLY crappy swirl on on my vbk, so I took a heat gun to the paint to get it to come off, and while I was stabbing away, I didnt realize I was gouging chunks of wood out ... So I actually bondoed the entire back of the guitar, and am in progress of getting that smoothed out Gonna re swirl it blue/black instead of green/black. probably get Nate to build me a blue vine neck to match. Heck, I may even convert it a rear route (MORE BONDO! ).

edit : when I got my first guitar, I started getting into RAtM, so I Was checkin out tom morrellos stuff. I noticed he had a bunch of switches and stuff on his guitars, so I took the guts out of my cheap flanger and distortion pedals, and soldered them in series to the input jack, and had the signal buttons taped to the bottom. To get it to fit, I had open the rear cover and chisel it out haha. About 6 months later I discovered yngwie, so I scalloped my fingerboard haha. I've always been a tinkerer, and I get bored easily,

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 03-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 AM

With the help of fellow Jemsiter Frank Falbo, I did a few mods to my OLP and it came out absolutely fantastic. First, when installing the the OFR, it was going to be difficult with the neck pocket angle to get good action without using a shim, so we added a slight taper to the neck pcket to allow the lowest action possible and to allow the bridge to rest against the body. The other thing we did was route a small pocket underneath the fine tuner plate so it would not rest against the body when the bridge plate was resting against the body. This was probably more comsmetic than anything, but it the bridge ends up resting nice and flush against the body. And of course we also added a locking nut.

In the end, it's a really nice guitar to play, very comfortable, and the pickups we put in (I forget what they are - I think one was a hyrbrid of 2 Dimarzios) sound incredible. I had it out the other day and was just going crazy with it, I'm still amazed at how it sounds and feels. You can't pull back on the trem, but if I want to do that I've got plenty of Ibanez guitars.

Here's some pics with before and after of the action and neck pocket, and a pic of the route underneath the bridge:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0MM1%20Modded/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Modding cheap guitars can be a ton of fun. They must be of decent enough quality to begin with, but if the platform is solid you can make a cheap guitar pretty awesome for not too much money. I did an OLP JP6 a while back and it's a pretty great guitar. Not near as good as my real JP6, but for the $450 I have in it, it's pretty friggin awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode