Is this a good backup guitar (link inside) ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Is this a good backup guitar (link inside) ?

OK, here's the deal: I am considering buying another guitar for use and abuse - something that can be used reliably on gigs (reasonable trem etc.) but which can be easily and cheaply replaced. I was thinking about the RG370DXBK (http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoi...el-160072.html). Any comments, experiences, ... ? Thanks in advance !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 07:23 PM

To be honest, I don't feel so...

You had better search for a RG570 2nd hand than go for this type. The 5-series is called prestige starting with this year. The main difference is the bridge. RG5-series are equipped with the Edge bridge, which is a floyd rose that many consider better than the original. The RG370 has a crappy bridge that won't stay in tune if you abuse it a lot, and the durability is less as well.

Go for a 5-series RG, you won't regret it (and they're pretty easy to come by)!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 07:54 PM

As far as I know, Ibanez has started putting the Edge Pro II bridges on the 370s this year.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 01:59 AM

Depends heavily on what your "main guitar" is. If your main is a trem guitar, maybe you'd like to think of getting a fixed bridge one for a backup.

Amder's advise is good, though he's apparently stuck in the 2002 catalogue. The 5xx series will have the "better" trem, even second hand.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 05:55 AM

Yeah, i am afraid i have to agree. Dont go for that. Go for a used 550 or 570, you can get them for next to nothing almost on Ebay.

It will be alot better in the long run, the trem is better, the quality will be better.....it will all be better basically!

And if you are prepared to do some work on your guitar, it might be worth looking on Ebay. Because quite alot of the time the used RG550's and so on arent in the best condition. But it gives you great satisfaction when you "do it up" and it becomes a nice axe!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
As far as I know, Ibanez has started putting the Edge Pro II bridges on the 370s this year.
The Edge Pro II is less durable than the "normal" Edge pro, there is a big difference between hardened steel bridges (Edge Pro, Edge, Lo-pro) and bridges like the Edge Pro, Lo-trs and so on. To start with the Edge Pro II will handle like an Edge Pro, but because of the softer steel it will get harder and harder to stay in tune.

The Edge owns the Edge Pro II big time, durability is the main issue here....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 09:51 AM

Go for a used 550 it`ll save you alot of headache trust me
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders_destium
...but because of the softer steel it will get harder and harder to stay in tune.
how do you know that?
have you tried it for years? please Anders, don't tell us that the Edge Pro II is even fairly comparable to a TRS or like.
just tell you dont like it, but dont go further.

DP15655,
why dont you get a used 560? you will save lots of money even if you swap the pickups, possibly.
or maybe even a fixed-bridge thing, that would be a tank as a backup.

Tags
edge bridge , fixed bridge , floyd rose , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode