Is this a good deal (RG550) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Is this a good deal (RG550)

I found a guy who's selling the body and neck of his 20th anniversary RG550 in road-flare red. It's in perfect condition and the neck has been scalloped with deep Malmsteen-like scallops. I'm a big fan of Yngwie, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The guy is asking for $300, so I'll have to get my own pickups, electronics, pickguard, and tremolo and put it all together, so does this sound like a good deal?

Edit: It also comes with the 20th Anniversary 550 case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:00 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Is this a good deal (RG550)

Sorry to say it man, but $300 is too much for just a body and neck. After hardware and electronics plus an original pickguard, you'll be well over $600 when finished. I'd either ask the price to be reduced to $100-$150 or keep searching for a complete guitar.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

That's what I thought, but I keep seeing the 20th Anniversary 550's sell for at least $800. I have an Evolution bridge pickup I could throw in it, and the guy said he might have an extra pickguard, but probably not original. I would also probably try to get a used Edge for around $100-150 from someone here.

I guess I'm really on the fence about it and I always have a hard time deciding what to buy. So much GAS.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 AM

Reviews: 120

What a waste of a fantastic limited edition guitar, to gut it and scallop the fretboard. I wouldn't go over $200.00, that poor RFR RG.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:39 AM

^ this
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:13 PM

Reviews: 21

^this x2!!!

If the neck wasn't scalloped I'd say maybe; and a big maybe at that.
If he took his own file or sanding tool to the board himself who knows what kind of nightmare it is. There might be a reason he's parting it out. I'd say save your money and find a complete RF. You'll be happy you did.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the help guys. He told me that the scallops were done by Shred Legacy Luthiers. This is the only picture that I have of the guitar itself, but I might go take a a look at it and see if I can get him to come down in price.

Oh and the picture looks pink, but he says it's definitely red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RG550 scallop.jpg (25.5 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM

Here's a small list of what this could cost you to bring it back to original specs:

body&neck: $200
pots,caps,wiring: $50 (new)
input jack (barrel type): $18 (new)
pickguard (oem): $50 (new)
rear covers (oem): $25 if you can even find a correct jack cover
TRC (new): $9
Black Edge kit (new): $255 comes with new posts/anchors claw and springs.
Black Edge kit (used): around $200 for a clean trem with claw and springs
Top-Lock III nut (new): $55
" " (used): $35
Gotoh tuners (new): $75
" " (used): $60
Strap buttons (new): $16
Misc screws for everything: $20
original pups (used): $80 on ebay

All told this comes to $740- $775 not including shipping. These prices come from [email protected] Ibanezrules.com who has better pricing than you'll find elsewhere and will bundle shipping for you to save a lot of money.

The numbers above are also assuming that you have a neck plate, plate pad, and neck screws.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Good point RGTFanatic. I was planning on buying a lot of stuff used, but it's still a lot of work and will probably end up being quite costly. I guess I'll save my money and look for something else.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 PM

The problem with used parts is that they're not all than much cheaper than new and they usually require MORE parts to get them in good shape (trem arm bushings, string locks, screws etc...). In the end I usually spend less on new parts.

I really don't want to dissuade you from this guitar though. In fact, if the neck were not scalloped I would probably go for it. I just wanted you to have a realistic idea of what a major project like this could cost.

If you have the money and want the experience then give it a go.........you'll have a helluva nice RFR in the end.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I didn't take it as you trying to dissuade me, and I'm glad you laid out the costs like that. I knew it would be a lot of work to put this thing together, but I think I was underestimating how much it would cost.

I also kind of saw the scallops as a plus, not a minus as most of you do. I'm a big Yngwie fan, but I don't own any scalloped necks. But I think I'd rather play one first before I buy a guitar and put it together only to find out that I hate it.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffplaysguitar View Post
I didn't take it as you trying to dissuade me, and I'm glad you laid out the costs like that. I knew it would be a lot of work to put this thing together, but I think I was underestimating how much it would cost.

I also kind of saw the scallops as a plus, not a minus as most of you do. I'm a big Yngwie fan, but I don't own any scalloped necks. But I think I'd rather play one first before I buy a guitar and put it together only to find out that I hate it.
Now that's just good common sense there........something we often lack here at jemsite........myself included....LOL
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM

I'm going to say that if you like the idea of scallops and weren't wild about the original specs of the guitar, I'd say go for it.

- The missing pots, switch and wiring are easy to find cheap on eBay
- If you didn't like the original pickups, that cost is basically a wash anyway
- Black hardware wears the best of any hardware, so finding used pieces that you could make look mint would be easy

$300 for a mint body and a genuine Ibanez neck is not a bad deal on any day.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 PM

Reviews: 21

General rule of thumb. If it's too good to be true odds are it is.
This goes beyond buying guitars or guitar parts.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM

Shred Legacy is known for having the best custom hand scalloping available online, and I have had three necks done by them, that body and neck you are talking about is well worth the price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode