Good deal on S540 from 95? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Good deal on S540 from 95?

A buddy of mine has a black S540, shark tooth inlays. I'm pretty sure it's from 95. Has an Ibanez case and paperwork with it including tools. I borrowed the guitar last year for a week and did love it and I'm a big fan of the S series...

I've heard the mid 90s S540s were something special. Any truth to this?

It's got no dings in it. Just a cheesy vinyl sticker on the front that i could probably get off easily.

He'll let it go for 600...is it a steal and a good buy? Or is the hype about these 540s from the 90s all over-rated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 AM

Re: Good deal on S540 from 95?

600 is a pretty fair price. Even though some people prefer the mid-90s ones, I've never noticed anything particularly special about them, and technically speaking, they're not much different than other Ss from slightly different eras.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 AM

$600 is normal(on the high side imo). those S540LTD are nice guitars; but for my personal tastes, a $600 one would have to be AANJ and lo-pro edge equipped. that's just me being picky. if i found one for $300, it could be square heel with edge.....SCOOPED UP!!! it's all about how nit picky and justification at this point.

rich
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Reviews: 9

I love Sabers, but for $600 it would need to be mint and exactly to my specs. $600 is on the high side. I have several and most have been in the $350 - $450 range. Those were all in very good condition, maple tops, and fairly clean hardware. I did pay $600 shipped on a mint 97 from Guitar Center that was a fairly rare purple flame with all cosmo hardware (as most are gold hardware). For a mint solid black I would not pay anything over $500, and could probably find one for under $400.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM

I think because it has the case and tools, it should go for more than the usual price. Mint examples are a good deal, IMO, in the $500 to $600 range and that's with no cosmetic wear (pimples) on the tremolo. They really stand up to anything produced today of a similar genre at a fraction of the cost. I still think my 2009 MY Japanese Prestige S series is more solid than any of my other guitars (just feels more substantial and screwed together without actually being heavier) but my 2000 is quickly becoming my favorite.

Looking at "the bay" right now, prices are headed north on these models. I have a 93 and a 2000, with an 89 on the way. The 93 and 2000 are supposed to have the same neck profile but for some reason the 2000 feels a bit better to me. Plus I have a set of pickups I really like in it along with a pro fret job (probably the difference). But the 93 AANJ is no slouch. Very solidly built and plays pretty much as well as the 2000 Prestige so you cannot go wrong. If you like the stock pickups, even better yet.

But yeah, if I find something really good in the $300 range, it's really a no-brainer even if I don't need the guitar! I purchased two complete dogs from GC for $400 and promptly returned them. Not the guitar's fault, they just weren't taken care of and had multiple issues due to neglect.

Shooting my 93LTD in the studio here shortly, as soon as my damn camera battery charges.

Tags
black , ibanez , s540

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode