Is this a good deal for a used Les Paul? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Is this a good deal for a used Les Paul?

There's a guy advertising the following:

1994 Gibson Les Paul - Black Gold Hardware + Case

Quote:
$900 plus shipping. 95%+ condition. GREAT shape, plays great! has brand new Gibson factory hardshell case, gold hardware, rare ebony fingerboard, beautiful white trapazoid fret inlays. Early 90's Les Pauls are coveted! Hate to sell!

I'm new to this, but someday want a Les Paul. What questions should I be asking? Like, "Are the frets new or worn?" Or, "Is this an American made Les Paul?"

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 PM

Re: Is this a good deal for a used Les Paul?

You should just be asking the usual questions in regards to a secondhand guitar. Nothing specific in relation to Gibson tbh. You could ask if the headstock is in good condition, as they have a tendency to snap at the headstock often. You could ask for an exact model name/number, and maybe even a serial no. so that you can check it.

If it checks out though, for $900 its a good price.
For that price, if you dont like it, someone else probably will when you sell it on.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather View Post
You could ask if the headstock is in good condition, as they have a tendency to snap at the headstock often.
What's a "headstock" and is it obvious it's weakened before it snaps?

Quote:
You could ask for an exact model name/number, and maybe even a serial no. so that you can check it.
Check it with whom?

thanx.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 02:44 PM

Thats a Gibson Headstock.
Its where the guitar machineheads/tuners are to string/tune the guitar.

And you could check the serial no. with Gibson themselves I think, by sending them an email. Or you could ask on the Gibson forums, someone on there will know for definite. Just post a message asking to recognize the serial no. and I'm sure some guys on there could help you out.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 PM

I'd be worried that the guy is over selling the guitar. Words like "rare ebony fingerboard" & "early 90's are coveted" bother me. What model is it? Custom, Standard, Studio??? I would want to play before I paid.

Good luck.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 07:07 PM

Trapazoid + Ebony + Black with Gold Hardware = Les Paul Studio, way overpriced. A used studio shouldnt be too far from the $650 range.

The fact that it's an early 90s, he probablydidnt pay $900 for it new. I remember back in the late 80s/early early 90's GC and places were selling Les Paul Studios for around $400.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 PM

I was thinking "ebony" would be pointing towards a Custom.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 PM

Nope Customs never had Trapaziods, but for a while at different times Studios had ebony fretboards. Standards rarely come with gold hardware, and even more rarely have ebony fretboards.
I'm 100% certain its a studio from the description given.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Don't forget the neck. Some of LP necks are loke baseball bats. I think they offer the 50, 60 and 70 style necks.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Nope Customs never had Trapaziods, but for a while at different times Studios had ebony fretboards. Standards rarely come with gold hardware, and even more rarely have ebony fretboards.
I'm 100% certain its a studio from the description given.

Yes, it's a studio. He amended the description. Is Studio the bottom of the line? Is it, Studio, Standard, and Supreme? Supreme being the best?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
Don't forget the neck. Some of LP necks are loke baseball bats. I think they offer the 50, 60 and 70 style necks.
What are the differences? I'm currently playing an American made Stratocaster. Which Les Paul neck might be similar? Or, most similar?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:19 PM

I could not answer that, I own Jacksons and Ibanez. I have try them before, I think the 60 are thinest and 50 are the thickest. If you have never tried a Les Paul, try it before you buy it. The necks are not for everyone.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatzz View Post
What are the differences? I'm currently playing an American made Stratocaster. Which Les Paul neck might be similar? Or, most similar?
None

Technically the Studio is the low model, but it mainly doesnt have the cosmetics that a Standard, Classic, Custom, etc. would have, it has the same pickups as the Custom. The Supreme is a completely different animal, it has a chambered body, and a carved top and back.

They have a couple different 50s style necks, the 60s is the thinnest, early 50s is the widest, rounded 59 seems to be the thickest. There is no 70s neck.

Studios now have the 59 Rounded, not sure about the neck in the 90s, I have a 93 Standard that has a different neck profile from my 05 Deluxe (Rounded 59), 05 Standard (Slim 60's), 76 Custom, 07 R7, and 61 RI SG.

Last edited by elcid; 02-04-2007 at 12:42 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:57 AM

Also man, you may want to point out that *************** was selling their Studios for $1,000. They are a little more now, but you can get a Vintage Mahaogany Studio for around $800, same as a regular Studio, it just has a Satin finish. As for the 90s LPs being desirable, that's just a flat out lie. People complain about the quality of the 90s LPs, just as much as they whine about new ones, and the Norlin era guitars. A 90s Studio is nothing special, or rare. I'd offer him $700 and if he doesnt take it, look elsewhere.

Tags
ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , fret inlay , gibson les paul , les paul , les paul studio , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode