Good EBMM JPM Pics - Get out your largest drool bucket... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Good EBMM JPM Pics - Get out your largest drool bucket...

Paul Warren was nice enough to add pics to JP's site. *Here is the direct link.

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/ebmm_namm.html

I was a bit dissapointed to hear that the maple fingerboard option was a typo. *I haven't heard confirmation on this from a reliable source but it wouldn't suprise me if it turned out to be true. *I also hope that they allow trans colors although the wood they use for the body might make that impossible...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 03:15 PM

Good EBMM JPM Pics

They look like... well, Ernie Ball guitars. For me personally, that's not a good thing.

Over the past few months I've seen tons of JP fans go through the 5 stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance (any TV Funhouse fans remember Mnemonics, your dear, dear friend?).

Many who were terrified by the prospect of JP playing one of those "butt ugly EBMM" guitars are now shelling out huge bucks to buy one of them.

I'm sure its a great axe, but personally I could never pay that kind of money for a guitar that looks pretty much like a standard "butt ugly EBMM" and doesn't have a Lo-Pro Edge (or even a Floyd-rose style trem at all).
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Good EBMM JPM Pics

Well, they aren't as radical looking as the Ibanez JPMs but they are still pretty cool. *The JP shield inlay is more than I expected (especially since it looks like mother of pearl).

As for the trem, I guess on a semi Steve Vai related forum I would expect that this would be a big issue. *I already have 3 guitars with the edge or low pro edge so for me I welcome a guitar that has a standard trem because it takes a lot less time to maintain the guitar properly (at least it does for me, but I may be inept).
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 04:43 PM

Good EBMM JPM Pics

I hear ya- I'm sure this guitar will make a lot of people very happy, its just not for me.

I am more or less interested by the way a lot of fans have embraced a guitar that they otherwise would have ignored. I'm not at all referring to anyone here, its more of an observation I've made following some of the DT boards. Not that there is anything wrong with it I guess, I just find it interesting.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 04:46 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Good EBMM JPM Pics

Quote:
Quote: from cmartin on 3:15 pm on Jan. 24, 2001
They look like... well, Ernie Ball guitars. For me personally, that's not a good thing.
I agree. I hate to be superficial, but this really is an ugly guitar. (Not that Ibanez JPM is any better to my eyes.)

Has anyone credible test drove the TREMOLO? I'd like to see a true comparison vs the Edge. No BS and sales hype, just the facts. IMHO it is a shame they didn't offer a fixed-bridge variety, since this is more appealing and less likely to pigeon-hole a player using it... glen
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 5
Good EBMM JPM Pics

yeah, what is the deal with all EB/MM guitars looking like carbon copies? *Why does a Sillouhette (sic), look just like a Luke, look just like a JPM, etc...? *The only model that looked different was the EVH model which has since been bastardized as the Axis, Axis Sport, and Axis Super Sport....This company seriously limits colors (only solids, except on EVH/Axis), trems, and body shape. *Plus, for my big hands, those small scale necks kill me....oh well-never liked the Ibanez JPM's much better.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 06:18 PM

Good EBMM JPM Pics

Now...granted, the body style is nothing hugely innovative, but it's the little things on this guitar! *I was very skeptical myself, but was lucky enough to log a good chunk of time on the new JPM at the NAMM show (the guys at that booth got tired of me I think!) *Early in the AM when the doors opened and late in the afternoon before they closed were great times to noodle around. *I actually found the tremolo to be very tolerable. *I at first was very disappointed that there was no fixed bridge of locking trem options. *It seemed that they just met in between with a half-assed standard trem. *BUT...the trem on the new JPM is actually VERY stable! *And the little built-in palm rest is a great little addition (777LNG anybody?) *My favorite feature is perhaps one of the most trivial. *There is a contour on the front of the body right where one's forearm would rest. *For me at least, this improved the comfort level of the guitar a great deal! *VERY comfy to play. *If just feels right! *I'm not sure that I'd take the piezo bridge over the Double Edge, but it's ok. *Overall, IMHO, the EB/MM played much better than any Ibanez JPM I've ever played. *And though it's not a terribly innovative body-style, the finishes available are very nice (particularly the "signature color"- it's a much better interference-type paint than what was used on the JS90HAMs-far more active color-wise). *Overall, after spending some time with the guitar, I did decide to order one in. *Not sure how long it'll take, but I think it'll be worth it. *The quality and craftsmanship of Music Man guitar is excellent, and I've loved every EVH model I've ever owned. *I'm looking forward to owning one (though I'm not a huge JP fan) *
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 01:23 AM

Good EBMM JPM Pics

I think they look a little plain to me. That's the only thing that I dislike. I am familiar with EB/MM craftsmanship, and yes, it's nothing less than perfect.

Plain....my only gripe.

Chris.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 10:35 AM

Good EBMM JPM Pics

Any more chiseling on the body and it'll look like a Midi-evil battle axe.
I would guess it's a very comfortable guitar to play. *I wonder if the neck is as thin as the JPM is, or if he went with a more traditional EBMM shape. *Or maybe a compound profile.
I wont be saving up for this one though. *I wont even consider it if it aint got a Lo-Pro on it.
Is it just the light from the photograph, or are all the dot inlays actually sheild shaped?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 10:52 AM

Good EBMM JPM Pics

I'm with Christopher...cool features, probably plays nicely, good EBMM quality, but too plain in the finish arena!
Greg
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Good EBMM JPM Pics

The inlays are shield shaped. *The 1st fret has the JP initials inside of the shield. *Pretty cool.

I do have to agree with you guys about the finishes though. *EB hasn't posted what colors you can order yet but if you can get a trans finish I think it might liven it up a bit. *I also kind of liked the sparkle one. *IMHO the Picasso graphic on the old one is awesome.

I guess the problem happens when you look at the $2000 base price. *I'm going to be real curious to see what these street for.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 01:48 PM

Good EBMM JPM Pics

Just wondering how is he gonna play that thing live...

...I mean,
IMO a bit whammy hear and there has always been part of Petrucci's playing, and the trem is not exactly Lo-pro

The red ones were nice, but the inlays weren't exactly my cup of tea

I bet it plays nicely, but I'm having some issues with the trem...:sarcasm:
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Good EBMM JPM Pics

He didn't seem to have a problem with it on the Metropolis 2k tour...
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 01:02 AM
edo

Good EBMM JPM Pics

Ernie Ball/Music Man John Petrucci Signature Models, the first 50 will be hand signed & number.

Here's a really nice pics which show the forearm rest and close up from the signature JP shield inlay :

http://www.eastcoastmusic.com/namm2001a.htm
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 05:09 AM

Good EBMM JPM Pics

Has anyone tried the pickups ?
How are they ? (Custom Dimarzio, right ?)

the forearm rest should make it interesting...

Tags
air norton , body shape , bridge pickup , dot inlay , dot inlays , ernie ball , fixed bridge , ibanez jpm , john petrucci , locking trems , maple fingerboard , petrucci model , piezo bridge , pro edge , quilted maple , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode