Good guitar for practicing everyday! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Good guitar for practicing everyday!

Hi to all!
Just a question..
I need a guitar to play everyday for practicing, the main features that i'm searching are a trem, lightweight (most as possible!), and good pickups for metal!
I've already a Gibson LP and a Jem77gmc, but i'm looking for something to abuse every day for practice(so not a $1000+ guitar!), I've use for a lot an ibanez rg270 for that but now i'm looking for something better (also to use like a metal-only guitar)..
My choose is for a Jackson dkmg (trem, alder body,emg pups), what do you think?
Any advises?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 07:04 AM

Re: Good guitar for practicing everyday!

I find it hard to understand how 'practicing' constitutes 'abuse'. What the hell do you plan on doing - scales followed by hurling the guitar across the room?!

On that note, I need a guitar to ruin with hammer ons, another guitar to truly DESTROY with pulloffs, another guitar to abuse by practicing my holding technique, and another one to ABUSE by looking at it.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
I find it hard to understand how 'practicing' constitutes 'abuse'. What the hell do you plan on doing - scales followed by hurling the guitar across the room?!

On that note, I need a guitar to ruin with hammer ons, another guitar to truly DESTROY with pulloffs, another guitar to abuse by practicing my holding technique, and another one to ABUSE by looking at it.
Ok..ok.. i've really explain the whole thing badly!
The Gibson is quite heavy to practice hours stand up,
The gmc it's mint and i use it only in few occasions
So i need a lightweight guitar to always carry with me without thinking abouts scratches or dings..
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 11:41 AM

Just get an old ibanez w/ all the specs you want
nothing fancy though.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:08 PM

The alder made in Japan Jacksons with a string through is pretty sweet. Light, plays and sounds nice.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrocity91 View Post
Just get an old ibanez w/ all the specs you want
nothing fancy though.
Thats what I was thinking.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Ibanez either. Get something that feels comfortable, or whatever your "used to" as a base. Then get a slightly older version of it, preferably used and secondhand. And thats it.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Get a prestige RG off the bay. Don't know what your spending limit is but they go pretty cheap if you know what to look for and the fret work will be MIJ perfecto so you can get the action LOW to help make improving your playing easier AND its got some of the best fret board access, balance, overall weight, pickup switching choices available in one guitar. It fits the 'metal only' thing because its pointy.

my prestige RG brought my playing on in leaps and bounds because of its quality fret work and good, modern design. it will especially help your lead playing to develop.

If you can get the Jackson cheaper then go for that but i'm not 100% on how the quality compares to an MIJ RG?
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MKK_ View Post
Ok..ok.. i've really explain the whole thing badly!
The Gibson is quite heavy to practice hours stand up,
The gmc it's mint and i use it only in few occasions
So i need a lightweight guitar to always carry with me without thinking abouts scratches or dings..
Oh ok! Cool. I would agree with the other guys - definately an MIJ Ibanez
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Dude, RG570. They're not as sought after as the 550's, so you can get them for cheap. MIJ, Wizard, Edge, and if you get a newer one you get the AANJ and the neck has a strip of bubinga down the center. What more could you want?
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:21 PM

I certainly wouldn't rule out that Jackson you're looking at. The DKMG is an absolute beast! If you can, find an older one with the pull-up gain boost.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabekyle View Post
I certainly wouldn't rule out that Jackson you're looking at. The DKMG is an absolute beast! If you can, find an older one with the pull-up gain boost.
Yep, agreed. I've got one. Cracking guitars.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:

CLASSIC
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:

hahaha
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advises!
The dkmg attract me for the light alder body and the emg pickups, but i've some doubts for the trem...
Now i look also for some prestige and the rg570..
Does the rg570 is quite lightweight?
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 AM

yup. 570s are basswood. to me they are pretty light, so you won't get as tired as you would with a Les Paul.

Tags
alder body , basswood body , double locking tremolo , fret board , ibanez neck , les paul , locking tremolo , pickup switch , pickup switching , pro edge , reverse headstock , standard jem , super wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode