Good Ibanez bass for a beginner? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Good Ibanez bass for a beginner?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I didn't see a bass forum

Alright, say someone wanted a bass just to record some bass tracks. What would you recommend? It doesn't need to be the bass equivalent of a Jem... the bass equivalent of an RG321 would be just fine.

What price range are we talking? New or used?

Is there something you'd recommend instead of Ibanez?

Go go go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 PM

Re: Good Ibanez bass for a beginner?

sr405
btb405
atk305

my main workhorse is a DWB35, but the ones that get the most time are 4 string PBasses. true story...

rich
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM

Dig around for something from the SR series - the ones with active electronics are very versatile and won't set you back much, especially second hand if you want to just get going. $200+ should get you sorted second hand and then up to $1800 for the fancy stuff off the shelf.

If you like the series the higher end ones are amazing. Tones to die for (good options on materials but not great), fast playable necks, good balance and again compared to the competition really good value.

I've been playing bass for years, even more so now due to arthritis, and got into the Ibz bass range with a Jet King. Recently spent ages looking around at high end alternatives and unless I want to spend $1000+ there's no real advantage for me - therefore it stays and I love it. Gets loads of gig action and never breaks sweat - or a string ;-)

Good alternatives are the Fender Squier Vintage Jazz models; great classic looks and again plenty versatile enough to do most things. For a bit more moolah try the Warwick Rockbass; good for the same reasons as listed above and too be honest would be good enough for most players requirements. As always, what you NEED and what you WANT will vary! Ask my long suffering wife..

I did spend 18 months playing a $40 precision copy (heaven know's who made it), set up well with a nice Semour Duncan pickup and loved every minute of it.

My choice would be the active SR or Squier for the recording and then save as much $$ for the most powerful, second hand, solid state, bass amp you can possibly afford/carry in case you like it and wanna play more. Got thoughts on this if you care for em'.

Last edited by robbiano; 11-29-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Spelling. Duh.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I played a GSR200 today that I liked better than a more expensive SR, which surprised me.

I heard the Gio series isn't really that good when it comes to guitars. How are the basses?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode