is this a good trem? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

is this a good trem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 02:03 AM

Re: is this a good trem?

looks like another version of ibanezs' TRS 1 or 2. I recon its a piece of junk man. another cheap rip off of the OFR that dosnt even come close.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:30 AM

where to buy that trem rguser???
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 PM

hey man, Yeah that is a cheap POS trem. I am assuming that your guitar has a floyd rose mount and not the edge mount. Bear in mind that edge trems and floyd rose originals have different cavities and different dimensions and are not easily interchangable. Bearing that in mind i reccomend either an original Floyd Rose or a gotoh floyd copy. Both are good trems and will serve you very well. If the trem has a cavity cut under it for raising as well as lowering the tone i reccomend a Floyd Rose brand Lo Profile trem. The placement of the clamp screws will make string changes a whole lot easier. I personally do not reccomend a schaller. Most people like them because they do sound better but they often use softer metal and stripped screws and dull knife edges are too common for my taste. I also do not reccomend buying this type of part off **** or any other auction site. Although most sellers are honest and hard working people there are too many people on these sites selling cheap trems and calling them original floyds. THey sometimes even use pics of floyds to further their deception. It has happened to a few of my customers. I reccomend only buying from reputable dealers or your local music store. Carvin has great prices on original floyds and several other web sites have both gotoh and floyds available. DO NOT buy a cheap off brand. You will be hurting soon if you do since most are of the TRS series or an equally bad series. Hope this helps. Joshua
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:31 PM

There are two variants of the TRS trem: the original TRS, which is made in Japan; and the TRS-II, which is made in Korea. The original TRS is of significantly better construction than the TRS-II. It has a harder baseplate, although the studs are still kind of soft. I have the TRS-7 (Takeuchi, MIJ) on my RG7420, and while it's not great, it stays in tune and gets the job done. It does feel significantly stiffer than an Edge trem. Perhaps others can chime in with their experience, but make sure you differentiate between the Japanese-made original TRS, and the Korean-made TRS-II.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the response,
so I guess MIJ jacksons come with original TRS?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:09 PM

They come with Jacksons JT580 which is their version of the TRS, which as far as im aware is similar in quality to ibanez's original TRS. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez.shredder
They come with Jacksons JT580 which is their version of the TRS, which as far as im aware is similar in quality to ibanez's original TRS. Hope this helps.
thanks,
and do you agree with above opinion that TRS was decent?
I used an edge and am using a lo-pro edge on my 3120.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 11:18 PM

I suppose its ''okay''. If i had the choice i would spend the extra money and buy an EDGE or Lo-Pro or edge pro or even an real floyd. The TRS trems really are pieces of junk, even the orginal TRS is pretty damn bad. The orginal TRS is usable but NOWHERE near the EDGE series. they are alot stiffer and considerable weaker and you will find them atrocious compared to the lo-pro. And the TRS II...........we wont even talk about that. but i have heard the JT580 on the MIJ Jacksons isnt all that bad. you might want to check this website out if you havnt before:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/#pro

this has in-depth reviews (and lots of them) of a large range of manufacturers and thier guitars. so pick a guitar you know has those trems and have a look at the reviews and hopefully you will have all the info you need. btw are you buying a new trem for a guitar you own, or are you buying a new guitar?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:49 PM

I have that trem (trs-pro) on my Yamaha RGX821. It's made by Takeuchi (Japan). It's ok, stays in tune and can handle extreme tremolo abuse. The only problem i'm having with it is the screw type trem arm.

If you want a superior trem with the same low profile go for the (original) Floyd Rose Pro. I have it on my washburn and it outperforms the edge pro trems of my prestige Ibanez guitars.

Tags
edge pro trem , edge pro trems , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , ibanez guitars , local music store , music store , pro edge , trem arm , trs trems , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode